Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
drag & drop files from one editor instance to another

I can open the editor's file browser, then export an xhtml or img file to elsewhere on the computer. I can open another editor file and import those exported files. It would be convenient to drag and drop (or copy and paste) from file browser A to file browser B directly.

Best Regards, Pop
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwse@aol.com View Post
I can open the editor's file browser, then export an xhtml or img file to elsewhere on the computer. I can open another editor file and import those exported files. It would be convenient to drag and drop (or copy and paste) from file browser A to file browser B directly.

Best Regards, Pop
Copy and paste has worked for me (as long as there are no relative links).
That method is app insensitive.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for your reply. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have open the file browser of the editor of Epub A and the file browser of the editor of Epub B. I highlight a.jpg in Images of the file browser of Epub A and Ctrl C it. I move to Images of the file browser of Epub B and Ctrl V and nothing is pasted.

I also tried going to the Text portion of the file browser of Epub A and highlighting an xhtml file, copying it with Ctrl C. I tried pasting it with Ctrl V in the Text portion of the file browser of Epub B.

Instead of copy and paste I also tried drag and drop. I found that I could copy and paste text itself from an open xhtml segment of Epub A to an open xhtml segment of Epub B.
After pasting like this you can split the file into 2 xhtml segments.

I am using 18.04 Ubuntu with gnome. Best regards, Pop
Old 10-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You are not doing anything wrong, drag drop, cut and paste of files in and out of epubs is not supported. The only way you can copy files from one epub to another is by export and import. It's a design limitation, btw the other epub editor, Sigil, is the same.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Slightly faster if you know the file name
Use 'U' (unpack) on the source epub: Copy; paste in a scratch, location: import into the Target file.

Click DISCARD on the Unpack control box to avoid any risk
Advert
Old 10-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
mikapanja
Perfectionist
mikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermikapanja can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Drag drop, cut and paste of files in and out of epubs is not supported. The only way you can copy files from one epub to another is by export and import. It's a design limitation, btw the other epub editor, Sigil, is the same.

BR
Is this a design limitation of Calibre/Sigil or .epub as a format?
mikapanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikapanja View Post
Is this a design limitation of Calibre/Sigil or .epub as a format?
I don't know for certain - but at a guess I'd say a bit of both. I assume the import involves updating the manifest. Another consideration is that epubs often use the same file names.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's pretty easy to implement, I've just never bothered because I dont have a need for it myself. Feel free to open a ticket requestig the feature and I will get to it when I can
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #9
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

Thank you, all of you, for helping with this issue. Mr. Goyal, I would certainly like to "open a ticket". I am embarrassed to say I do not know how to do this. I would be grateful if I could learn how.

As for why I desire to copy and paste (or drop and drag) from one open instance of the editor to another open instance of the editor, I will explain. I want to append an afterword (a single xhtml file with images) to the end of many books. I could use the epubmerge plugin except for the fact that when using this, the newly merged book does not preserve the original CSS which I wish to retain.

Best regards, Pop
Old 10-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Thank you, all of you, for helping with this issue. Mr. Goyal, I would certainly like to "open a ticket". I am embarrassed to say I do not know how to do this. I would be grateful if I could learn how.

Best regards, Pop
Go read this page first.

Then go here.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

Thanks to all. I opened a ticket.
Best regards, Pop
Old 10-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

This ticket has been assigned to "won't fix" status.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
This ticket has been assigned to "won't fix" status.
Odd, since Kovid originally suggested opening a ticket? Maybe he ran into a situation that breaks existing features. Were there comments?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:24 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As I metioned on the ticket

You can already do this. Simply hold down the ctrl key and select
multiple files. right click and choose export files, and choose a folder
to export them to. Then in the other editor instance select "File->Import
files into book" and choose the previously exported files. Granted, this
is a little more work than drag and drop, but not by enough to make it
worth adding a separate feature for this.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote