Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #181
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoanohn View Post
I downloaded the update too, but how do I use it to upgrade? Do I just move it to the root folder?
Yes. Move it to the root folder and then go back and tap firmware update in settings. It should tell you that you have an update in storage and then proceed to install it.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #182
Asiorent
Asiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
New update available (version 2018-12-03_18-16_2.0).

Nothing really new jumps out at me so far. Could be mainly bug fixes. We'll see.
I'm considering to order Nova and would like to ask you for a comparison with your Kindle. On another topic a member was complaining that his Mars has worse contrast for reading than his Kindle.

I'm planning to buy Onyx Boox Nova so how is your subjective feeling about the contrast and the reading on these three devices (Kindle, Nova, Mars)? If you compare only the reading experience how would you rate them?

It would be excellent if you could compare them with and without the light.

Thank you!

Last edited by Asiorent; 12-05-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Asiorent is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #183
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiorent View Post
I'm considering to order Nova and would like to ask you for a comparison with your Kindle. On another topic a member was complaining that his Mars has worse contrast for reading than his Kindle.

I'm planning to buy Onyx Boox Nova so how is your subjective feeling about the contrast and the reading on these three devices (Kindle, Nova, Mars)? If you compare only the reading experience how would you rate them?

It would be excellent if you could compare them with and without the light.

Thank you!
First of all, with the light off - contrast is practically identical between my Oasis 2 and my Nova. The Mars is very close.

With the light on? All I can offer you is a definite "it depends"! The Oasis 2 does not have a "comfort light" setting. So, all you get is the stark bluish-white "day" mode. Contrast is excellent.

The Mars and the Nova allow you to choose the "day" mode or a "night" or "comfort" mode - which has some orange tint blended in. You can adjust the degree of orange on either device. A free app you can download for the Nova on the Onyx app store allows for very precise blending of the two modes. The more orange you add, the less absolute contrast you will have. If you go fully in to "day" mode, contrast will be about the same for all three devices. But my eyes are happier with a little orange blended in, day and night. I never use the Oasis for reading now because i prefer less blue and a touch of orange tint. I may end up selling it.

(As an aside, be aware that some Mars users find that their devices have a heavier orange tint; others say theirs is more pale. I haven't heard the same from Nova users yet.)

As for the overall reading experience -

If you use mainly Kindle content, it's hard to argue against a Kindle device. The menus look nicer to the eyes, and you have more bells and whistles (like X-Ray) that the stock reader apps on the other devices would not have.

The Mars' stock reader app is fine, but with rough edges. For example, at the top left once you leave your book, you will see something like "3.4% readed". Page turning is as quick as the Kindle. Same is true for the Nova, but the Nova is a bit better on the English translations. All three allow you to change and add fonts. They all have the expected settings for margins and line spacing and so on. You may need to do a little fiddling to set up dictionaries with either the Mars or Nova, if you want one.

On the other hand, the stock reader apps on the Mars and the Nova will work with a wider variety of file formats than the Kindle. They handle pdfs quite well - limited only by the size of the display.

Of course, the main advantage of an Android-based E-Ink device is that you are not stuck with one ereader app. You can install any of a wide variety of reading apps, like Moon Reader, Librera or KOReader. Any one of these offers more options than either stock reader app. You can also install the Kindle Android app on either device. You can run the Nook app on the Nova, but not (yet) on the Mars, as far as I know. You could also install the Kobo app, Google Play Books, Pocket, Instapaper, or whatever. If you know about Calibre, you can take advantage of it more fully as well.

Battery life is mediocre with the Oasis 2. Other Kindles do better on that score. The Nova and the Mars have battery life similar to other Android tablets, and a bit better than the Oasis.

The Mars allows you to insert a microSD card and use it as adoptable storage - as though it were internal storage. You could slip a 128 gb card in there. The Nova has 32 gb of internal storage and no sd card slot. The Oasis comes in 8 gb and 32 gb flavors, with no sd card slot.

The Mars and the Nova each have a couple of minor but annoying idiosyncrasies. Not every owner has the same ones, though. For example, on my Nova, when I tap Google Play Store, every now and then it wants me to sign in again to my Google account. Future updates may fix these idiosyncrasies.

The bottom line? If you read only Kindle content, and don't care about the comfort light, go with the Oasis 2 or other Kindle. (The new Paperwhite may have a comfort light setting, or so I've heard.) If you want more reading options, a comfort light, and the maximum storage possible, go with the Mars. If you want the most reading options (including the Nook app), the comfort light, slightly better overall performance and good storage, go with the Nova.

None of these devices is without flaws. None will score 100% on anyone's wish list. But one will come closer to yours than the others. For me, the Nova and Mars are very close - with a slight edge to the Nova.

Not my "final answer", but it'll do!

Last edited by downeaster59; 12-05-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #184
shah_ram
shah_ram began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrayes View Post
the device check for update does say there is a new update but fails to download it.
so checked here and there is an update :
http://www.boox.com/downloads/
they are using Google drive really?
Did you guys find any solution for paid Apps in Google Play store?
shah_ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #185
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah_ram View Post
I haven't found a solution to the Play Store paid apps bug. I have emailed Boox support to tell them about it and about a couple of options I'd like to see in the Nova. They graciously responded. We will see if they fix the issue. The Likebook Mars does not have this problem.

What I have had to do is use another Android device, backup the paid apps with the Amaze file manager, and then copy the apks to my Nova and install them. Play Store on the Nova recognizes that the apps are installed, but does not alert me to updates for them - only for apps installed through that Play Store itself.

So, Onyx needs to better integrate Play Store with their firmware on the Nova.
Advert
Old 12-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #186
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah_ram View Post
Yes, i put some messages up.

Battery mode in no saving mode
Unfroze google setings and play store
Execute play store and login
Settings/apps/ gsf register
Apps/Play Store Login Patcher (Download from onyx store) Apply
Reboot device
Wait 5 minutes before enter play store. I don't know if it's needed but it's what it says after patching

Now you can install buyed apps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-12-06_015035[1].jpg
Views:	198
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	168166  

Last edited by elchamaco; 12-05-2018 at 07:53 PM.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:21 PM   #187
downeaster59
Wizard

I tried that. It doesn't work for me.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:41 AM   #188
Alrayes
Alrayes began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX NOVA
Quote:
I tried that. It doesn't work for me.
Try checking order history from nova

https://youtu.be/rvChNxaCB2g
Alrayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:27 AM   #189
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrayes View Post
Try checking order history from nova

https://youtu.be/rvChNxaCB2g
Order history on my Nova is correct. Still, if I choose any app I have paid for, Play Store on the Nova wants to charge me for it before I can download it. Very odd.

This is not a big problem, as I have a workaround. Still, it's a nuisance.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #190
Asiorent
Asiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheese

Quote:

None of these devices is without flaws. None will score 100% on anyone's wish list. But one will come closer to yours than the others. For me, the Nova and Mars are very close - with a slight edge to the Nova.

Not my "final answer", but it'll do!
Excellent! Thank you a lot fot the detailed explanation .
Asiorent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:13 AM   #191
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
I have 2018-11-21 installed switching temporarily language to chinese.
Since a couple of days i'm asked to upgrade firmware to 2.0, but download interrupts at the very beginning (one cm of the check update bar :-) )
Then it ask me to upgrade immediately but of course package verify failed.
Where is the partial downloaded file?
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #192
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Quote:
Order history on my Nova is correct. Still, if I choose any app I have paid for, Play Store on the Nova wants to charge me for it before I can download it. Very odd.

This is not a big problem, as I have a workaround. Still, it's a nuisance.
Maybe also clear cache and data for play store and services?
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #193
oscarcll
oscarcll began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova
Urgent help please.

I'm in New Zealand. If I order the Nova from an online Chinese store like taobao or tmall (I can read Chinese), will it be identical to the one if I buy from Boox's overseas stores. In particular, will Google Play Store works just the same?

A tmall store:
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?sp...=3880910308309

If you have any experience, could you please share? Thank you very much.

(Actually I plan to have it shipped to a Hong Kong address. A friend of mine is visiting HK and will pick it up and bring it to NZ. So I have to order it well before my friend leaves. And I know that the Nova is available for sale in Hong Kong, but it's about 25% more expensive than a Chinese store)

Last edited by oscarcll; 12-10-2018 at 09:31 PM.
oscarcll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #194
panoramix
panoramix began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova, Kobo Aura One.
So a factory reset and patch to the dec 3 update fixed the issues with Google Play, but there are still niggles. Purchased apps in the play store refuse to install (they display the buy button but pressing it gives the error message "You already own this item") and Google Play Services now refuse to update, breaking some apps.

ETA: Repeated attempts to update Services worked, but broken apps stay borked. This is annoying as that part worked well enough before the updates.

Last edited by panoramix; 12-12-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Things added
panoramix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #195
michaudg
michaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoramix View Post
So a factory reset and patch to the dec 3 update fixed the issues with Google Play, but there are still niggles. Purchased apps in the play store refuse to install (they display the buy button but pressing it gives the error message "You already own this item") and Google Play Services now refuse to update, breaking some apps.

ETA: Repeated attempts to update Services worked, but broken apps stay borked. This is annoying as that part worked well enough before the updates.
Same problem here. A simple workaround that works well for me: install your purchased app from the Play Store on a PC and choose your Nova when it asks for a device.
michaudg is offline   Reply With Quote