Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Auto-resize according to text

I need to format a space like a postnote, with a solid margin (visible) that has some words scattered accross - I solved this with pre.

I thought of blockquote initially, but the same problem I have with all tags: the right margin is settable starting from the right, whereas I would like to have it set, dynamically (according to font size) by ther text.

The only other solution I figured out (so far only theoretically) would be to use SVG.

Or is it any trick to use regular tags and params?

Thanks

PS: oh, ePub 2.0.1. not 3.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post

I thought of blockquote initially, but the same problem I have with all tags: the right margin is settable starting from the right, whereas I would like to have it set, dynamically (according to font size) by ther text.
Sorry but I don't understand you very well. Are you saying us that you are seeking a right margin that changes with the font-size? If so, you only need to set that margin in "em"; ie. "margin-right: 2em" (or whatever).

Last edited by RbnJrg; 08-03-2018 at 01:10 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know this, and it's not what I am looking for, since the margin measures from the right to the left (that is the margin is set 2em from the right).

I will use most probably a SVG.

Maybe this image helps:

setting the margin to em does the first image, with the text in red.
I want the other situation, depicted with 2 font sizes - the box resizes according to the text.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lorem.png
Views:	407
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	165455  
Old 08-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, now I understand. You want something like a "flex-box" but working in epub 2 and with css2. For that, you can use a "table" with only one cell or <p> or <div> tags but with the property "display: inline-block". I attach an epub with examples about how to do that and below you can see a screenshot of ADE:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	267
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	165462

Of course, you can play with "widths", "margins" and "paddings".

Regards
Rubén

EDIT: Althought in the epub I think the thing is clear, if you are going to use a table, then the table musn't have any width, so it will resize with the text. On the other hand, with <p> or <div> tags you can use the property "width" since the key here is to use the property "display: inline-block;".
Attached Files
File Type: epub Dinamic Table.epub (2.6 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 08-06-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Thanks,
I also thought of a table
but in the end I added the display:inline-block to the pre tag and it worked, too.

I checked another version of the same, and it was also based on tables and used   as filling space.

BTW, your example, while not doing what I need (it reflows the text inside, which I absolutely do not want), remembered me the inline-block trick which I forgot about.
Advert
Old 08-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
BTW, your example, while not doing what I need (it reflows the text inside, which I absolutely do not want)...
Sorry, but in none of your posts you named that restriction. It's easy to get that effect, just put in the proper place <br /> tags and all will be ok. See the epub I attach.

Quote:
...remembered me the inline-block trick which I forgot about.
Glad that my post had been useful in some way.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Dinamic Table.epub (2.6 KB, 293 views)
Old 08-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Sorry for being unclear, but I thought that this would be implicit - if one sets the right margin accoring to the text means no reflowing, otherwise the margin sets the text
It doesn't matter, I managed it and it works in a few readers I have.

Tags
automatic, epub 2, position