Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #46
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Q&S Version 3.0.2

Version 3.0.2 - Now Automatically Converts Valid ISBN10s to ISBN13s, Removes ISBN13 Dashes & Prefixes, and Deletes Garbage Posing as ISBN10s.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #47
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How to Swap New Q&S metadata.db for Old Standard Calibre metadata.db

You might be interested in the attachment if all of the following are true:

1. You use QuarantineAndScrub.

2. Your Pristine library is not totally Pristine, and you want to use the Q&S scrubbing functionality to clean it up.

3. You have a large library. 3,000 is not at all large for the purposes of this discussion.

4. You do not think that a "relational" database has to do with social networking.

DaltonST

n.b. See my post: Multiple Q&S Libraries and Synching Tag & Title Rules. That post stated that Library #5 was the Pristine Library, and NOT a Q&S Library. Since then, I have changed my Pristine Library #5 into a Q&S Library named "QuarantineAndScrub_Pristine" using the technics from this post (How to Swap New Q&S metadata.db for Old Standard Calibre metadata.db). The flow in that earlier post remains the same, but now QuarantineAndScrub_postscrub flows into QuarantineAndScrub_Pristine rather than the non-Q&S CalibreMain library. So, all of my Calibre Libraries are now Q&S enabled. Why? Because I have a huge Pristine Library that needs some Tag Scrubbing and Tag Minimizing. See my post: Definition of a "Pristine Library".
Attached Files
File Type: txt Metadata_Swap_Instructions.txt (7.4 KB, 633 views)

Last edited by DaltonST; 12-10-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Additional comments.
Advert
Old 12-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #48
misc
misc began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi Dalton,

I know you want support questions by PM, but this is more of a general n00b question than anything that might count as a bug report or something. I think the answer would be generally useful. I also get that you want to keep this plugin to a small and self selecting user base with the technical chops to use this without handholding. That said, I have been spending so much time cleaning metadata in my pathologically large collection, that I find the promise of this plugin too alluring to resist. And given that this is clearly a power tool, I'd like to avoid picking it up by the wrong end and losing an arm.

</preamble>

Very basic question, really. Could you explain what you mean by the "pristine library" concept, just a little more slowly? I think my confusion ultimately stems from this:

"2) Copy Calibre Pristine Author/Series Data to Q&S (but only if it is truly “pristine”. Better nothing than garbage)."

What do "Calibre Pristine Author/Series Data" and "Q&S" mean in this sentence? Could this sentence be rewritten as "From your existing Calibre library, choose books that you have established to have clean metadata, and copy them to the QuarantineAndScrub library that you downloaded from me"?

Right now I have a very large library. Some of the metadata is clean. Some of it is not. Part of my whole problem is that I don't have a fast, automatic way to separate the two. Does step 2 mean I should spend some time to round up as many "clean" books as possible?

Thanks!
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #49
DaltonST
Deviser

Definition of a "Pristine Library"

Thank you for asking this excellent question. No one has ever PM'd me this.

A "pristine" library would be like "pristine snow" in that it would have no defects. In other words, it is 100% clean from the perspective of metadata.

Based on your comments, you do not have a Pristine Library. You may have Pristine Books, but they are commingled with unclean books.

Since you have a huge library, I suggest converting your standard Calibre metadata.db into a Q&S metadata.db as outlined in my recent post entitled: "How to Swap New Q&S metadata.db for Old Standard Calibre metadata.db".

After you scrub each book in your new QuarantineAndScrub library, you could copy each newly "pristine" book to your new "real" pristine library (whatever name that might be). However, I did not do that for my huge library.

What I did was to use View Manager to create 2 views: Standard Calibre Library and Q&S Library. I also created a Virtual Library based on Status being blank, and another one on Status not being blank.

By keeping my Pristine Library within a physical Q&S library, I can easily go back to the formerly "pristine" books and do new things to them (based on new Q&S functionality or new Q&S Tag Rules and so forth) without having to copy them from a normal library back into a Q&S library. At ~ 1 hour per 1,000 epubs (even with antivirus etc. etc. deactivated), copying is a non-starter for me.

Note that the Q&S icons are inactive unless the library name contains QuarantineAndScrub.

When all of my books in my QuarantineAndScrub_Pristine library are truly "pristine", I will rename the library to just "CalibreMain" (its previous name). However, since the metadata.db will be Q&S-based, I could always rename it to a Q&S name to reactivate the icons without any copying required.

Why deactivate the icons if not a Q&S name? To keep people from installing and attempting to run it without reading, understanding, and following the user guide first.

Anyway, back to your question. As I said above, and based on your comments, you do not have a Pristine Library, just some pristine books.

DaltonST

p.s. Also read my post: Multiple Q&S Libraries and Synching Tag & Title Rules

Last edited by DaltonST; 12-09-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added a postscript.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #50
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 3.1.8 -10 December 2014

Version 3.1.8 -10 December 2014 Menu Changes for Clarity and New Functionality plus User Guide Expansion.

There have been a fair number of menu changes due to functionality additions in the last few releases. The User Guide now incorporates them, and also has expanded explanations of important concepts in using Q&S.

DaltonST
Advert
Old 12-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #51
DaltonST
Deviser

Review of 3 Important Q&S Posts

I have edited some earlier posts that you might have read already.

When I wrote message #1, I had not yet done what is described in post #2.

Post #3 explicitly references the attachment to post #2, and implicitly post #1.

Post #1 is still valid. I just migrated my Pristine Library to Q&S and renamed it just as is described in the attachment to Post #2.

Having a huge library is a game-changer due to the enormous clock time required to copy/move books from one library to another (hence the attachment to post #2).

The posts (click to view):

(Post #1) Multiple Q&S Libraries and Synching Tag & Title Rules

(Post #2) How to Swap New Q&S metadata.db for Old Standard Calibre metadata.db

(Post #3) Definition of a "Pristine Library"

DaltonST
Old 12-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #52
DaltonST
Deviser

Automatic Copying of Tag & Title Rules From/To Multiple Q&S Libraries

Version 3.2.0 -11 December 2014 New Menu Item: Automatically Copy Tag & Title Rules From/To Multiple Q&S Libraries; New Customization Items; Revised User Guide.

This new version now does automatically what is described in my earlier post, "Multiple Q&S Libraries and Synching Tag & Title Rules".

Page 41 of the User Guide shows how to configure which libraries to use and then how to execute the job that does the copying.

DaltonST
Old 12-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #53
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 3.2.3 -14 December 2014

In Version 3.2.3, Real Tags from all Q&S Libraries are now consolidated into the Best Q&S Library and made available as choices in the "Easy-Add Real-Tags-to-Purge" menu option used to easily add new "purge rules" to the Tag Rules table.

Those new "purge rules" in the Best Q&S Library are then available for the "Automatically Copy Tag & Title Rules From/To Multiple Q&S Libraries" function. So, the new purge rules created in the Best Q&S library based on the Targets' Real Tags are copied back to all Target libraries for use there by Tag Scrubbing (if desired; optional).

The circle has been closed for Tag purge rules in the Tag Rules table.

A new SQLite database table was created to support the new functionality, so you must (as always) run the "After Version Upgrade" job first in all of your Q&S libraries.

Remember that your Best Q&S Library is also where you must always execute the "Automatically Copy Tag & Title Rules From/To Multiple Q&S Libraries" job, since otherwise you would encounter a "locked database" job failure. The Q&S Targets are locked while the job updates their Tag and Title Rules tables sourced from your Best Q&S Library, so switch to your Best Q&S Library before running that job.

DaltonST

n.b. If you have only one (1) Q&S Library, nothing will change. You still need to routinely run the "After Version Upgrade" job after every version upgrade, of course.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #54
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 3.2.4 -15 December 2014

Version 3.2.4

This Version does for Work Tags and Web Source Series/Title/Index Data what the prior version did for Real Tags.

The User Guide has been revised to reflect all of the new functionality.

Remember to always run the "After Version Upgrade" job at the top of the Q&S menu after every new version of Q&S is installed.

DaltonST

p.s. New Users: please read the User Guide prior to doing anything with Q&S. It is 42 pages long for a good reason. It is always easily accessible via a Q&S menu item near the top. Note that 99% of Calibre users do not need Q&S, and should not install it.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #55
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 3.2.6 - Major enhancements to the "Rename Work Series" functionality

Major enhancements to the "Rename Work Series Using Web Source" functionality.

Now, all historically cumulative Web Source Series Data downloaded to validate Work Series/Title/Index (from anywhere in the Q&S Library ecosystem at any time in the past) is available for renaming Work Series/Title/Index in any Q&S Library. Download once, then use the results anywhere in any Q&S Library at anytime in the future.

This means that if you add additional titles within a series that you already have scrubbed in Q&S previously (in any Q&S library), the validation (and renaming) data will already be available in whatever Q&S library you may be working in. So, you can routinely begin to run the "Rename Work Series" function immediately after "Book Level Scrubbing". Only if no historical Web Source data is found do you need to then run the "Validate" job that downloads the Web Source data specific to the books you have selected.

DaltonST
Old 12-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #56
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 3.2.7 -18 December 2014

Please remember to run the "After Version Update" job after you upgrade to Version 3.2.7. As shown in the release notes below, many SQLite objects have changed.

Version 3.2.7 -18 December 2014 Speed optimizations; Changes to SQLite Tables and Views to improve functionality and performance; Book Work Title Renaming per Web Source Web Title enhancements.

DaltonST
Old 12-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #57
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 3.2.8 "Easy-Add Tags-to-NEWTAG Mappings" Enhancement

Version 3.2.8 - "Easy-Add Tags-to-NEWTAG Mappings": new column added to specify whether /regex/ should be used for new Tag Rules (previously always did); Miscellaneous Enhancements.

The new default is "no, do not make this new oldtag-to-newtag mapping rule a regular expression; just make it a simple matching rule for tag to oldtag".

The column headings in the list editor for the mappings have been revised for clarity.

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 12-20-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #58
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 3.2.9 Tag Rules Table List Editor "Easy-Add Tags-to-Purge" Enhancements

Version 3.2.9 - "Easy-Add Tags-to-Purge": new column added to specify whether /regex/ should be used for new Tag Purge Rules (previously it always did); Miscellaneous Enhancements; Revised User Instructions.

This version creates a new column in the list editor for "Easy-Add Tags-to-Purge" that gives you the ability to choose whether a regular expression rule (e.g. "/someworthlesstag/") should be created for the Tag Rules table, or just a "simple match" rule (e.g. "someworthlesstag").

The default is to make only a "simple match" rule. This is the opposite of the previous version of this list editor.

The user guide has been revised as well to include recent functionality changes.

DaltonST
Old 12-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #59
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 3.3.0 New: Change Selected Work Tags to Default Tag of 'Real' Author

Version 3.3.0 - New Menu Item: "Change Selected Work Tags to Default Tag of 'Real' Author [Selected Books]"; Revised User Guide; New table: _tags_by_author_default .

This version has 2 new SQLite tables plus several new views, so as always you must run the "After Version Upgrade" job to create them.

The User Guide has been enhanced to describe this new functionality. See page 44.

DaltonST
Old 12-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #60
DaltonST
Deviser

Version 3.3.4 New Menu Item: Change Default Tag of 'Real' Author to Selected Work Tag

This version's new menu item is the flip-side of Version 3.3.0's new menu item.

That function defaults a book's Work Tags to that book's Author's Default Tag.

This new menu item updates the Author's Default Tag using the selected book's Work Tag. Refer to page 44 of the User Guide for more details.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 3.3.4- 27 December 2014 New Menu Item: "Change Default Tag of 'Real' Author to Selected Work Tag [Selected Books]"; Revised User Guide.

Version 3.3.0 - 22 December 2014 New Menu Item: "Change Selected Work Tags to Default Tag of 'Real' Author [Selected Books]"; Revised User Guide; New user-maintained table: _tags_by_author_default .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, be sure to run the "After Version Upgrade" job at the top of the Q&S Menu.

DaltonST

Tags
dcc, lcc, metadata, tag management