Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
HoldOntoMyPencil
HoldOntoMyPencil began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Post Onyx Boox Max 2 - Feature Wishlist

There is no dedicated thread for any feature wishlists, so as to not clutter up any more semi-unrelated threads, why not make a new one here!

I received my Boox Max 2 a couple of days ago and have been using the heck out of it, overall a really nice device. Btw mine came with a stylus that HAS a clip, so it will not fall through the loop anymore. Seems like Onyx listened to the comments about that.
I am using a Wacom grip-pen from the older Intuos2 line of tablets though, which has superior ergonomics. Works beautifully.

I'm an artist, so my wishlist is mostly centered around the notes application which has a lot of potential.

"Must-have!" - wishlist:
  • Different stroke colors (maybe a selection of grey values).
  • Marker pen mode that ignores all the strokes made by the regular pen tool, and places its own color behind the pen strokes. It will require a special marker eraser, so it can be deleted independently of the other strokes. Super useful!
  • Show a preview line of the path that the default eraser tool takes, so it is obvious which strokes get intersected and subsequently deleted.
  • Eraser with pixel erasing mode. So that parts of a stroke can be freely deleted without deleting the entire stroke. Very important. OR alternatively, a "white" stroke color, which effectively does the same (visually anyway).

"Would be great to have!" - wishlist:

• Different stroke tip choices (like a rectangular tip which can work well with the marker style).
  • Custom page template support. Maybe by letting the user put their custom backgrounds into a folder on the device.
  • Tool preset buttons. Maybe 3 of them in the available space of the toolbar, which can register the current set of chosen tool + all settings with a long-press, and quick-recall them with a short tap.
  • Variable/selectable opacity instead of just stroke width. This would give it more of a pencil, and less of an ink feel.
  • Filled geometric shapes (either filled with a solid color, or selectable opacity).
  • Marker style geometric shapes - so they can be put behind pen strokes and help to annotate them.

"Want it, but it is not urgent!" - wishlist:
  • Layers. Ideally with opacity control per layer.
  • Ability to import and place other bitmaps, or screenshots.
  • Stamps. Ideally with support for custom user stamps (maybe .png files with alpha channel, or .svg files?)
  • Text tool, so text can be freely typed and placed inside the note.
  • Box and freehand selection tool, with the ability to transform (rotate, move) the selected content. Even if this would rasterize the affected strokes, and make them impossible to quickly delete with the standard eraser tool later. Also add an option to delete everything inside the selected area. This could also be useful.
  • Symmetry line down the center horizontally and/or vertically (user choice) - helps with numerous design tasks.
  • Custom thumbnails for the notes/folders. Would be fun to just scribble them manually. But of course totally unnecessary from a functional standpoint.

I am aware that one could just say "use one of the many third party drawing apps from the Play Store!" but sadly all of them have a massive lag on this e-ink display, rendering them entirely useless. I tried them all
I tried the A2 mode, but it helps not a single bit.

Of course many of these things may not work when used as annotations on pdfs, but that's totally fine. I'd love to do more versatile sketches with this device, so the notes application should be beefed up and blow the competition out of the e-ink sketching market... or maybe given an extended sketching/art variant, which won't work for annotating anything, but has the advanced features in it.

General wishlist for the overall device operation:
  • Ability to configure the back-button (physical button) to either terminate the current full screen app OR bring up the app switcher when being pressed for 3 seconds. This would help with some third-party apps that hide the status bar, and thus the only way to quickly return to the home screen.
  • Ability to let the user specify their own graphics for the stand-by and the power-off screens (let them put them into a directory on the device!)
    This would turn the Max2 into a beautiful static picture frame when not in use, further enhancing its versatility. (Plus it can be greatly marketed as such in the patch notes )
  • Setting to allow the device to enter stand-by or power-off mode without overwriting the current screen contents! Why waste the amazing property of e-ink displays to show content when powered off!
    Instead simply display a small, unobstrusive information box at the top center, or in a corner of the screen that says "STAND-BY MODE" or "POWER OFF", so the user is not confused why they cannot interact with the device.
    Or add a text ribbon around the outer screen edges which reads "STAND-BY +++ STAND-BY +++ STAND-BY [...]" and "DEVICE IS POWERED OFF +++ DEVICE IS POWERED OFF +++ [...]", respectively. Many options, all really interesting and much better than the pretty (but useless ) current choice of stand-by and power-off screen modes.

And that's about that. I am aware it is really unlikely that Onyx has the available manpower (or interest) to implement all (if any) of these things, but hey, doesn't hurt to put it out there, right? I just feel that this is a really good device with a lot of potential.

Curious what ya'll have got in mind, I assume most of you primarily want to read books on it?
HoldOntoMyPencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldOntoMyPencil View Post
[*] Setting to allow the device to enter stand-by or power-off mode without overwriting the current screen contents! Why waste the amazing property of e-ink displays to show content when powered off!
Instead simply display a small, unobstrusive information box at the top center, or in a corner of the screen that says "STAND-BY MODE" or "POWER OFF", so the user is not confused why they cannot interact with the device.
Or add a text ribbon around the outer screen edges which reads "STAND-BY +++ STAND-BY +++ STAND-BY [...]" and "DEVICE IS POWERED OFF +++ DEVICE IS POWERED OFF +++ [...]", respectively. Many options, all really interesting and much better than the pretty (but useless ) current choice of stand-by and power-off screen modes.
I strongly second that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldOntoMyPencil View Post
And that's about that. I am aware it is really unlikely that Onyx has the available manpower (or interest) to implement all (if any) of these things, but hey, doesn't hurt to put it out there, right?
Unfortunately the manpower doesn't read here, except one person (booxtor), if we're happy.
Perhaps you can forward your post to there somehow:
http://bbs.onyx-international.com/c/MAX2-SERIES

Also see http://bbs.onyx-international.com/t/...ver-exactly/68

Last edited by alcedo; 02-12-2018 at 07:40 AM.
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Toggle capacitative touch via soft and hard buttons to prevent accidental taps when using a stylus. This would be done explicitly by the user, not as some 'automatic' feature.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
artmax2
artmax2 began at the beginning.

Device: Botox Max 2 pro, Kindle paper white
I would find very useful to have the possibility to have a 2 page landscape view of a document and also a side by side view of two different documents as the Sony DTP has.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5X mediante Tapatalk
artmax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
Those two features would be nice indeed.

Also a related feature of the first one -- it'd be nice to be able to see any two consecutive pages next to each other. This doesn't work so well in print books when one page is on the other side of another -- but on an ereader...
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 AM   #6
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmax2 View Post
I would find very useful to have the possibility to have a 2 page landscape view of a document
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
Also a related feature of the first one -- it'd be nice to be able to see any two consecutive pages next to each other
The whole video I posted about Librera shows double page mode...

For quick reference:
Librera - a demonstration
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294390

Last edited by mdp; 02-14-2018 at 03:06 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:54 AM   #7
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Looks like the locally installed Librera was old -- when I checked earlier, I failed to find such functionality. Since there was a more recent version, I updated

Thanks!

FWIW, it looks like one needs to choose "book mode", not "scroll mode", to be able to select from:

One page
Two pages
Cover, Two pages
Half page

I can see two pages at a time, but I didn't figure out how to accomplish what I was after. For example, if I was viewing pages 5 and 6, navigating to the next view would show pages 6 and 7. Do you know if that is possible?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I can see two pages at a time, but I didn't figure out how to accomplish what I was after. For example, if I was viewing pages 5 and 6, navigating to the next view would show pages 6 and 7. Do you know if that is possible?
Not very easy. There is 2 different side by side modi - either 1|2 , 3|4, 5|6, or 1, 2|3, 4|5. To go from 5|6 to 6|7 you would have to switch the modus, then possibly go forward again since it puts you on the wrong page.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #9
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
FWIW, it looks like one needs to choose "book mode", not "scroll mode", to be able to select from:
One page / Two pages / Cover, Two pages / Half page
Yes, double page counts as a static rendering (as opposed to the flow of a scroll)

Quote:
if I was viewing pages 5 and 6, navigating to the next view would show pages 6 and 7. Do you know if that is possible?
Certainly possible: through a feature request. I will post it.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
drjww
drjww began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
I've taken to using the device in landscape mode on tablet stand with a bluetooth keyboard as a latop replacement (it's amazing how well it does like this!).

One feature that would be helpful in this mode is the ability to reverse the hardware page turning buttons. That is because when the device is turned on its left side (so that the pen loop is on top), the left button (which ordinarily takes you backwards) now points down and should take you forwards, while the right button (which ordinarily takes you forwards) now points up and should take you backwards.
drjww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #11
sogaiu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Much appreciated!

I think this would be helpful when trying to read while examining figures, images, etc. on the immediately previous page.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

I should think that moving 2 pages at a time is the preferred behavior since you can read both pages and then change to the next pages. I can see that occasionally you might have a two page spread that you want to display. I would suggest that this could be automatic nearly by always moving two pages forward and move only one page in reverse would be pretty intuitive compromise.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #13
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
always moving two pages forward and move only one page in reverse would be pretty intuitive compromise.
But it is conceptually more straightforward to have:
two pages, odd first | two pages, even on the left (= 2+cover) | two pages, increase by one.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #14
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Yes, double page counts as a static rendering (as opposed to the flow of a scroll)

If I might suggest: when two pages are shown at once allow a page to be 'pinned' on either side.

A poster mentioned referring to a diagram on a previous page. What if several pages follow the diagram? It might be nice to be able to go through those pages with the diagram in place, and then unpin the diagram when you are done with it, at which point normal two-page mode resumes.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #15
sogaiu
Addict

On a related note, if rooting becomes possible and multi-window operation is successful, there'd be a different work-around.