Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #16
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by heulwen.jones View Post
Oh Hitch I feel like such an idiot! This is exactly what the issue was - the fonts look fine if I switch to Voyage view!!
When did the Fire preview break? It used to work for me.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:38 AM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
When did the Fire preview break? It used to work for me.
Hi:

That's the thing--it isn't broken. (Tricky, eh?). Here's the dealio--if you embed the fonts in a way that Amazon (and the buyers, to be fair to AMZ) doesn't want, by putting it (say) on a tag like "divsection" for the entire book/HTML file, you can force the font to display on the Fire emulation.

HOWEVER, if you do that, that's a "tell" (to you) that the buyer will NOT be able to change the body font, to suit him/herself. Amazon doesn't want that.

If, however, you put the style on the body tag, where it's supposed to go, then you will NOT see the correct body font on the Fire emulation. You will, amusingly enough, see the frippery--chapter heads and the like--but the Body will remain Georgia. (As that's the only font available to the Fire emulation, unlike the Voyage).

So--and go ahead, tell me that this doesn't make YOUR head go-round like little whatsername in the Exorcist--if you SEE the font, you've done it WRONG, and if you DON'T, you may have done it right--you can't tell until you either check Voyage view, and see the font (IF you switch to Publisher), or check the online previewer, and then see the body font. (And yeah...you should have seen our faces, around here, when we FINALLY figured it out, because obviously--to say it's "not intuitive" is the understatement of the year.)

Yup. This is why they pay us the big bucks. It's ever so slightly like down the rabbit hole, isn't it? (Or am I thinking of Looking-Glass? Nope, Wonderland, right?)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #18
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
But you're saying that the actual device doesn't exhibit that behavior, which means that the simulator differs from the actual device. I'd call that broken.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:01 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
But you're saying that the actual device doesn't exhibit that behavior, which means that the simulator differs from the actual device. I'd call that broken.
Dag:

Well, that depends. Yes, the emulator functions differently than the real device, but...so? The reality is, the KFire emulator only shows the GEORGIA font. That's one thing. Then, Amazon doesn't want us overriding the body font.

So, it means that you have to flip over to Voyage mode. To me, Dag, it's sort of an instant visual check, to ensure that the book was made correctly. If I see the embedded font on the Fire emulation--it isn't.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font embedding, previewing