Notices

Old 04-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
abecedarian
Enthusiast
abecedarian began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre, Kobo Aura H2O
Saved searches

Hi,

I'm about to do a complete and clean install of MS Windows 10 on my computer. So I'll have to reinstall all my software programs, including Sigil. I'd like to keep my saved searches that I use as a kind of macro substitute (in Sigil 0.9.8). I haven't found out how to do that or even if that is possible at all with Sigil. Can anybody give me a helping hand?
abecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedarian View Post
Hi,

I'm about to do a complete and clean install of MS Windows 10 on my computer. So I'll have to reinstall all my software programs, including Sigil. I'd like to keep my saved searches that I use as a kind of macro substitute (in Sigil 0.9.8). I haven't found out how to do that or even if that is possible at all with Sigil. Can anybody give me a helping hand?
Select Edit > Preferences > Open Preferences Location and backup all files and folders in this location to a flash drive.

Once you've reinstalled Sigil select again Edit > Preferences > Open Preferences Location and overwrite the files in the folder with the backup files. (Saved searches are saved in sigil_searches.ini.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
abecedarian
Enthusiast

Hi Doitsu,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I've backed up the folder and will use it when I have finished the whole of the reinstallation and exactly as you write.
Once you know it it's kind of easy to do.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedarian View Post
Hi,

Do what Doitsu suggests.

But then try doing an in-place reinstall of Windows, then with luck you won't have to re-install any 3rd party software - or not many at least (browsers if any). But, I suggest you completely uninstall any 3rd party security suites before doing the reinstall

See ==>> Installation & Upgrade Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

I've used that process on at least a dozen occasions on Win 7 and Win 10, only had a couple of failures - both times due to well-known 3rd party security suites. A couple had Sigil and all of them had one or more much 'larger' applications installed that were left intact (including registry settings) - such as MS Office, Autocad, QuarkXPress, Photoshop Lightroom, Mathcad, Calibre etc.

MS won't offer this option, because it's not guaranteed to deliver a near perfect as advertised result, whereas their nuclear Refresh and Reset options will do that - but at the cost of losing everything except Windows itself.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-07-2017 at 04:48 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
abecedarian
Enthusiast

Hi BetterRed,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I really appreciate this, but in my situation this no-go, for I'm on Windows Vista. Most unfortunately there's no easy in-place reinstall of Windows possible when upgrading from Vista to Windows 10. A completely new install of Windows and everything else is the only way to go. I hope it will be the last time.

abecedarian
Old 04-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@abecedarian - ah well, once you've gotten off Vista and onto Win 10 and installed your 3rd party software, you at least know there's a way to reinstall windows without nuking everything else via Reset or Refresh.

Good luck - BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reinstall, saved searches, sigil