Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #1
ghmerrill
Connoisseur
ghmerrill began at the beginning.

Device: Various
Links IN Kindle footnotes?

I have a book in Epub3 and am reviewing it in the Kindle Previewer. Footnotes are working fine as popups, Except ...

The Previewer (and hence I think Kindle) refuses to render a clickable link in a footnote. This seems odd since the idea of having a footnote with a link in it seems quite natural and effective. But it's looking like Kindle footnotes are severely constrained in what they can contain, and that includes formatting (?) and hyperlinks. Am I missing something?

I'd like to, for example, use footnotes a pop-ups for bibliographic citations. But I can't see how to do that.
ghmerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I don't know of any documentation showing what features are supported in footnote popups. There have been other threads complaining about formatting problems with them.

Multi-paragraph Footnotes

need some help with formatting text in popup footnotes for Kindle ebook
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
But it's looking like Kindle footnotes are severely constrained in what they can contain, and that includes formatting (?) and hyperlinks. Am I missing something?
I don't know about the Previewer, but on an actual Kindle (PW3 in my case), the popup footnote is rather stripped of formatting. But there is a "Go to footnotes" link in the popup that takes you to the footnote's page, and there all formatting, including links, should work.
For any footnote longer than a couple of lines it's easier to read there anyway.
Maybe mention that in the preface if you think it's important.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I don't know about the Previewer, but on an actual Kindle (PW3 in my case), the popup footnote is rather stripped of formatting. But there is a "Go to footnotes" link in the popup that takes you to the footnote's page, and there all formatting, including links, should work.
For any footnote longer than a couple of lines it's easier to read there anyway.
Maybe mention that in the preface if you think it's important.
What he said. The links in pop-up footnotes, along with any formatting, are ixnay. If you want to see either, you have to click "go to footnote."

I thought we'd discussed this in another thread about this book?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote