Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
kindlegen availability

I noticed that Amazon is no longer making kindlegen available as a standalone program. The web page that used to host kindlegen now says:

Quote:
KindleGen is no longer available for download. Please use Kindle Previewer to convert, preview, and validate your eBooks.
Kindlegen is actually a part of the Kindle Previewer and the CLI can still be invoked if you track down where the Kindle Previewer installer puts it. The main things missing with that approach are 32-bit OS support and and Linux support.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The links are gone, but the files can still be downloaded from Amazon's server:

Windows
macOS
Linux

Kindle Previewer users can find the latest version in the following folders:

Code:
C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle Previewer 3\lib\fc\bin\kindlegen.exe
Code:
/Applications/Kindle Previewer 3.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/fc/bin/kindlegen

Last edited by Doitsu; 08-21-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks.

I'm guessing that when you use Kindle Previewer that it makes the "triple" MOBI that includes the EPUB. With the standalone Kindlegen you can give it a flag to make it not include the EPUB.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kindlegen has no changed in at least 7 years. The version I have is 2.9 and it's the same version in the links given by Doitsu.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindlegen has no changed in at least 7 years. The version I have is 2.9 and it's the same version in the links given by Doitsu.
I think it unlikely that kindlegen ever will be updated again. The MOBI and KF8 renderers have been frozen for years and all new development by Amazon is going into the KFX converter and renderer.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I'm guessing that when you use Kindle Previewer that it makes the "triple" MOBI that includes the EPUB. With the standalone Kindlegen you can give it a flag to make it not include the EPUB.
Shameless plug: You can use my Sigil KindleGen plugin to generate .mobi file without attached source files as well as .azw3 files. (It'll automatically use the Kindlegen binary bundled with Kindle Previewer.)
If jhowell's excellent Calibre KFX plugin is installed, you can also generate .kfx files.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
mexofeed1
mexofeed1 began at the beginning.

Device: Supernote A5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The links are gone, but the files can still be downloaded from Amazon's server:

Windows
macOS
Linux
The Linux link gives me an Access Denied error. Luckily, the Internet Archive mirrored it in 2015.
mexofeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:35 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.45. It now warns you with a popup that you should not publish using MOBI files:

Quote:
NOTE: Please use your original source file (EPUB or DOCX) for publishing. This MOBI file should only be used for testing on older devices that do not support Enhanced Typesetting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi-export.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	182153  
Old 09-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
m22chan
m22chan began at the beginning.

Pardon me. I'm new here, but I just received the same warning popup as jhowell above.

I'm confused by what the message is trying to convey: Amazon doesn't sell EPUB (or DOCX, for that matter) version books. So is there a different tool that should be used to convert EPUBs into an Amazon supported format?
m22chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #10
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I think Amazon prefers to convert the source EPUB or DOCX themselves.

Which would let them convert it to any hypothetical future format they support.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You upload docx or epub2 (Amazon admits that epub2 may work better).
Amazon then convert it to all the formats they use. What someone gets depends on which registered actual Kindle, Fire or App they select.

I had issues with the page breaks at chapters with the docx, but it was fine converted by Calibre to epub2. So Amazon told me to always upload the epub2. Same one as uploaded to Smashwords for Apple and Nook and Kobo and also to Google.

Do select Tablet under page settings in Calibre so that images are not resized, assuming you have done them properly for ebooks.

Also every kind of paragraph or heading should be a named style. Only use inline formatting for a few italic or bold words in a paragraph.
Every heading that's not to be in the system TOC should be body level, including the Title.
The docx or epub should not contain the cover. It's uploaded separately on EVERY platform. True also for paper POD or print runs as the cover is a different size to the internal pages.
No headers or footers on the docx upload or local conversion to epub.

The ONLY use for a local Kindle single Format generation tool is your own previews or giving a copy of your own material to Kindle owning friend.
The only use at all for dual mobi (old mobi with KF8 as in azw in the one file) created by Calibre or any other tool is to upload a Kindle version to Smashwords, or perhaps if you are making it Public Domain, some other site. Only Amazon knows what kind of Kindle someone has.
The Dual Mobi from Calibre seems OK on Kindle Keyboard, DXG, older Kindle Basic, Paperwhite 3 and Paperwhite 4.

I found KindleGen very limiting compared to LO Writer (saving as ODT and an extra copy as docx when finished) or MS Word. Then loading docx into Calibre and making an epub2.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-01-2020 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Kindle generation
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #12
m22chan
m22chan began at the beginning.

Ahh, I think I see what you mean. Thanks to you both.
m22chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindlegen