Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #76
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
What's this, let's all steal library books week ?
I thought mobile read disapproved of that sort of behaviour.
They guys who wrote the de DRM tools needed are 100% against them being used on loans.
You are also depriving the author of his share of the Kindle unlimited pot as Amazon will register no pages read once you have off lined his book into another format on kobo

I am not a mod but I think your" recipe "falls under assisting piracy and should be removed
I think you're making assumptions you shouldn't make. Perhaps what was meant was just an innocent suggestion of how to use KU books on a Kobo, and not a suggestion of piracy and stealing from the author. Most users have no idea of how authors are paid under the KU program.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #77
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
So to sum up my previous posts...

You can strip DRM from Kindle Unlimited books, just be sure to delete your copies afterward, and page forward through Kindle for PC so the author gets paid.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #78
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My post was meant to be an end to the discussion. Let's move on, please.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:17 AM   #79
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Everybody but kobo has jumped on the digital family subscription idea, Spotify. Apple, Google, Amazon...
Actually, Kobo did have the ability to add a child to your Kobo account with the usual limits on what they could view. After their trial period, the interest was not high enough to justify continuing and they discontinued Kobo Kids' accounts on 2018-Apr-03.

Quote:
But the thought of a "kobo quality" implementation is scary. Probably safer to diy it with the relevent de DRM tools. Even their simple library loan idea seems bogged down in having to have the correct flavour of Adobe id,and having to do things in a certain sequence, though Adobe probably deserves some of the blame for lack of compatibility across all their versions
What the heck does an Adobe ID have to do with borrowing directly from an Overdrive library on your Kobo device using it's Overdrive integration? The direct library loans do not have Adobe DRM and you do not need to have an Adobe ID. The only issue I have seen is where the ebook versions in the library's collection and in Kobo's store are different -- easily seen by checking the ISBNs if a book does not sync. I also wonder about "flavours" of Adobe ID. Is there an umami flavoured Adobe ID?

Quote:
Paper books have always been a natural " friends and family share" , more so than music. The limitation that there can only be one reader at a time is not a problem. Others bad habits of dog earing pages and spine bending was probably the most off putting factor of book sharing
I think I lent more records, cassette tapes and CDs to friends and family that I have ever lent books -- I even remember getting a few back.

To quote Maurice Switzer: “It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-10-2018 at 12:21 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #80
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
@Atunah: Can't you link both your accounts together as a family, keep his Kindle on your account, and he should be able to read all purchased books from his account and the loans from yours. At least how I understand it.
That wouldn't really help the situation at all. I want him to be able to check out library books directly on the device. Linking his account to mine doesn't do that. He'll still have to go to a computer, browse the library. First he has to remember the sign in. It would just be convenient for him. For me, I don't care. I got all the nice plug ins on goodreads where I can see each book and at what library it is available of my 3.

It was just a thought. But I don't think one can put more than one library on a kobo.

As to the linking. I'd never do that. Doesn't have anything to do with trust. We are both adults with our own CC, own way of buying stuff, etc.

I had the kindle on my account when I gave it to him. He did not want to see all the books in the cloud. I own over 3000. Then he also depleted my gift card I saved up to buy my books. . And some of those books he could have gotten from the library. But he wants to get it when he wants.

I do not want to share payment info at all. Because we use different cards for different purposes. He also sometimes ships stuff to his work and knowing him, he'd hit the buy button without checking the address.

We are linked in the old way. I guess its grandfathered in as its not an option anymore. He only shares prime shipping, prime now and prime video. That was the old way. If I ever unlink that I am sure it would be gone. There was no sharing of CC or anything. I can't see his and he can't see mine. That is how I like it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #81
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
It was just a thought. But I don't think one can put more than one library on a kobo.
Using Libby and linking the Kobo to your Overdrive account allows connecting to more than one library. Just be careful with multiple holds on the same book.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #82
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Using Libby and linking the Kobo to your Overdrive account allows connecting to more than one library. Just be careful with multiple holds on the same book.
I think you can also go to overdrive.com with a web browser, login with your Overdrive credentials and add library credentials there. No need to use a mobile app.

But speaking of Libby, I wish it would check all libraries with same availability search, instead of having to search each in turn. It would also be nice if it could figure out when you have borrowed something from one library and offer to cancel holds for the same book that may exist at the other libraries.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #83
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think you can also go to overdrive.com with a web browser, login with your Overdrive credentials and add library credentials there. No need to use a mobile app.
I've never given that a try since a few years back, it complained about my trying to use multiple libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But speaking of Libby, I wish it would check all libraries with same availability search, instead of having to search each in turn. It would also be nice if it could figure out when you have borrowed something from one library and offer to cancel holds for the same book that may exist at the other libraries.
The source for my comment about multiple holds on the same book. I had two come available at close enough to the same time that both were fulfilled.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:02 AM   #84
ma678
Enthusiast
ma678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I prefer kobo because it can access out library out of us.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
ma678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #85
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I have been a loyal Kindle user for years, and just switched today. I love my Clara HD, it wins over my 2nd Gen Paperwhite in every way that matters: storage space, weight and dimensions. I need a reader light enough and small enough to hold in my increasingly weake hemiparetic right hand, so the trend to devices around 8 inches is definitely not for me. After adding the "turn headers off" customisation, and sideloading a couple of devanagari fonts for when I need to read Hindi, the Clara is a dream to use. So light and so portable. The Paperwhite was good, the Clara so much better. Also, Overdrive library suppoirt is Kobo only up here in Aotearoa, so that's another big win for Kobo.
The Kobo shop is worse for sure, and the prices are dearer (not by much now that I've gone VIP), but being able to access my local library(s) is a great bonus. Most of all, I love that when I came home physically exhausted this afternoon, my largely decorative right hand didn't quibble about holding the Clara. Even better was the discovery that in its sleep cover it will stand on my thigh while I lie on the bed, making for hands-free reading that was not possible with my Paperwhite
Old 10-14-2018, 06:09 AM   #86
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
I wish I could sync sideloaded books on my Mini.

I miss that feature from the Voyage.
Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, compare, ereader, fast, kobo