Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #61
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by bberry View Post
After one month of using the device, my route has just went to the dead end. Literally. The reader is dead for all practical reasons. It can start but does not go beyond the boot screen with the JB logo. I don't know what can be done to fix the thing, my search for a solution did not bring any suggestions.
Can you give more details? What jetBook firmware version are you using? Can you reach the self-test menu or firmware upgrade screen?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #62
bberry
bberry began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Can you give more details? What jetBook firmware version are you using? Can you reach the self-test menu or firmware upgrade screen?
The JB fw is 0.33h (modified by tselling). I installed it on Dec 17 and reported it in this thread.

When I turn the reader on the led in the right top corner flashes exactly 2 times, the JB logo is shown on the screen. I was not able to reach the self-test menu nor firmware upgrade screen. The logo stays forever or till I press hw reset, whichever comes first :-)
bberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #63
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Why would I want to do this? Does Aluratek have better firmware?
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #64
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberry View Post
The JB fw is 0.33h (modified by tselling). I installed it on Dec 17 and reported it in this thread.

When I turn the reader on the led in the right top corner flashes exactly 2 times, the JB logo is shown on the screen. I was not able to reach the self-test menu nor firmware upgrade screen. The logo stays forever or till I press hw reset, whichever comes first :-)
I seem to remember that somebody else had this problem and they were able to fix it by running a firmware upgrade. Here's their description, for the JBL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBard View Post
My JBL froze last night, but I may have found a possible solution.

3. Removed SD card, inserted SD card with firmware, repeated firmware load sequence (step 2, above). LED went ON, and blinked intermittently. After a fairly short time (minute or two), JBL rebooted and showed the normal three choices! Success!

4. Replaced firmware SD card with card containing books, replaced Alkalines with freshly-charged rechargeable. Turned JBL ON. "Books" graphic eventually appeared, and after a while, the normal three choice screen appeared. Success again! My bookmarks were preserved as well!

Conclusion:
The "reinstall firmware fix" worked, at least in this case. In some cases it might take a fairly long time to reinstall the firmware, and the Jetbook first page may be the only thing on the screen. You might take note of LED activity. If it blinks occasionally, the SD card with firmware IS being read.
I noticed sometimes with the Chinese firmware that the screen can get stuck on the logo but the system itself was actually running! Maybe:

1) Download 0.33g firmware from ECTACO (33h is the patched firmware, but ECTACO acknowledged that it is buggy)

2) Install on an SD Card and run the firmware upgrade procedure. Hold Power and Right-Arrow for about a 2-3 minutes when you boot.

3) After waiting a couple minutes, press the OK key a couple times. If you start to see the LED flashing, it means it is doing the upgrade! Give it perhaps 30 minutes just to be safe before resetting.

YMMV of course, but this is just a suggestion. Also, another user (LuBiB I think) had a "bricked" jetBook after messing with firmware... but it eventually reset itself after about a month when the internal battery finally died.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #65
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisvjames View Post
Does Aluratek have better firmware?
Aluratek has ADE which supports PDF Reflow and (possibly) ePUB/PDF DRM.
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #66
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
all you have to do to test it is get a libary card and go on your local libraries Web site. If its like mine there is a digital area where the ePub DRM books are...I was able to download one easily to my computer but it didn't recognize my Jetbook.
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #67
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
My first post. First of all, thank you to all the knowledgeable contributors to this forum. I just bought an aluratek libre few days ago from the sale going on at mwave for $139.99. So far everything is good, it came with firmware 0.15j which I flashed to 0.15k. Battery charge full after 9 hours.

I have a question which I hope someone can help me with. I downloaded an ebook using ADE to my desktop. The ADE screen recognizes the libre but my only option to move the ebook is to the internal memory. I like to keep the books in the SD card. I was able to manually move the ebook to the card, but is there a way to download the ebook directly to the card from the ADE screen.
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #68
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I don't know about from the ADE screen. But I use a cheap 3$ sd card adapter that lets me plug the SD card in like a flash drive.

Faster transfer rates is why I do it that way. Now I don't know if that will let you do what you want or not. But I suspect thats what your looking for.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #69
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
Yes, I have a multicard reader also which I use to transfer book to the SD card. I'll have to try tonight if Adobe Digital editions will transfer the ebook through the card reader to the SD card without the libre plugged in.
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #70
lucy04
lucy04 began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
0.34b to 0.33g

I'm able to flash down from 0.34c to 0.34b. But when I try to flash 0.34b to 0.33g, I get the following message "Firmware Upgrade failed! Please check th e availability of the firmware in the internal memory or on SD card. Please download the iles again if needed". AFter the file transfer screen shows a couple of minutes, the lilltle light above flash green once and came up with the above message. Kralik, I added an empty JL04 file under the Data directory of the SD card, isn't it good enought?

Thanks!
lucy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #71
Kralik
Guru

No... sadly, the JL04 file needs to be added to the firmware itself, which requires patching it under Linux. No one has done it yet.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #72
lucy04
lucy04 began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
0.44b-0.33g

I thinked that out finally too. I feel I can do it, but don't want to risk my only ereader. Probably will do after I get a new one -- there seems many models come out this year or next year. Thanks for your postings!
lucy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #73
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy04 View Post
I thinked that out finally too. I feel I can do it, but don't want to risk my only ereader. Probably will do after I get a new one -- there seems many models come out this year or next year. Thanks for your postings!
Why do you want to go back to 0.33g? I have 0.33g myself (seeing no reason to "upgrade" to 0.34c), but as far as I know, there's no real difference between the two? Or is it just so that you can go to Aluratek firmware?

ECTACO "should" be releasing a new version of the jetBook's firmware soon anyway.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #74
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
ECTACO "should" be releasing a new version of the jetBook's firmware soon anyway.
If they do, and if it includes Adobe epub drm, it would be worth flashing the Aluratek. Do you know if the current Aluratek firmware will prevent ANY flashing, or do we only know what we can't do with available JBL firmware?
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #75
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Aluratek has ADE which supports PDF Reflow and (possibly) ePUB/PDF DRM.
Haven't tried any DRMed PDFs, but ADE recognizes my Aluratek Libre and I was able to load and read a DRMed ePub. So the libre definitely supports DRM ePubs, at least those bought from the Sony store.