Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Downloading Audible Books

When downloading Audible books to my Windows 7 PC, I can't find any way to change the setting to prevent it from "importing into Windows Media Player." It takes a long time for books to download, and this is just adding time to the process. I came across a help page that shows how to do it, however there is nothing like that in Audible Manager.

Any ideas?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
When downloading Audible books to my Windows 7 PC, I can't find any way to change the setting to prevent it from "importing into Windows Media Player." It takes a long time for books to download, and this is just adding time to the process. I came across a help page that shows how to do it, however there is nothing like that in Audible Manager.

Any ideas?
Where is the help page you found? It might spur my memory--I also use Windows 7 and my downloads are not imported into WMP, but I don't know what setting I might have changed.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got to this page by pressing the help button in Audible Manager.

I don't know if that page hasn't been updated since 2008, but I don't get any popups or windows that look like those. Or most of those. Certainly not the one on the bottom.

Ok I found a link for Audible Download Manager, which is apparently different from "Audible Downloads" though it has the same green square with down arrow icon. It has settings! I am testing out a download. And that fast, it is done! So all these years I have been using it wrong, I guess.

Last edited by booklover6; 04-17-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Audible Download Manager just does downloads and import into iTunes. If your ultimate target is iTunes, then it's all you need. Audible Manager is an ancient application that hasn't been updated since the Windows 98 days and its limitations are myriad. However, if you don't use iTunes, and want to be able to listen to Audible books on your pre-Windows 10 computer, it's just about the only option. (For Windows 10, just go with the Windows 10 app.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Why not just use the download button in your web browser? When I download via firefox, it just downloads the file to the download directory.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2019, 05:40 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

That is what I do, download from the web browser. So the little box with the arrow opens up and downloads the file. That is where it stretched into a 5 minute wait. First a message that said "cleaning up on server" then it changed to "importing into windows media player." During this, Audible Manager would open, and when it was done with all that, the book would finally appear in Audible Manager. I looked over a long period of time for ways to speed the process up. There are no settings within Audible Manager or Audible Downloads that can do so. So yesterday I found "Audible Download Manager" which is a third application, and using that I was finally able to change the "Windows Media Player" setting. As a result, now when I click to download from the web, the little "Audible Downloads" window comes up, and very quickly the book downloads and Audible Manager opens. The third app doesn't open, but it must be lurking in the back ground.

As a result, before I even finished typing this, long before, I was able to download a book. Previously, I would be waiting several more minutes!

Now I can actually go about backing up my Audible files!