Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 02:27 AM   #31
inew
inew began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
Very impressive!

This kind of design style is just what I dreamed: I press one button and you do all the work!!!!!

From algorithm's point of view, I think the most interesting part is the algorithm that detects blocks of contents from the pdf layout. If the program can incorporate the algorithm that breaks lines, it will be able to break 1-page wide blocks to 1/2-page wide block. The program will be a star to handle academic papers then (what a desperate target?). There may be many small things need to be tweaked, but the major function (handle sing-column and double-column) is there.

And, please, please, please keep the current operation style. I understand that you experts like commend line a lot. But this types of clean and intuitive UI is very important to the newbies (Do I need some HCI refences to support this argument?).

At last, a small thing I think may make the output looks better: when segmenting the small block to fit into the 6'' pages, you may want to detect whether a cut may cross some content or not. If it does, we may need to move the cut a little bit higher. This is only a small problem. The current tool is fantastic at this stage.
inew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:28 AM   #32
Ulysses
Ulysses began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taesoo Kwon View Post
I hope the problem will disappear after downloading the version 0.3.
If it continues to crash, please send me the PDF file to me by e-mail.
I tried 0.3 and it's perfect, thank you.
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #33
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
I tried 0.3 and it's perfect, thank you.
In a word: AWESOME!

In two words: VERY FAST!!

In three: Caritas' Reflow Works!!!

In four: Great Job Taesoo Kwon!!!!

'nuff said; try it, you'll like it!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #34
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Taesoo Kwon:

As a challenge, this is the first .pdf (see attachment below) I tried to convert to ebook (.html and images) that I was not successful in getting anywhere near a satisfactory result.

I tried converting it with early version of PDFRead and it did work quite well for me. That convinced me that .pdf to images was the only solution for complex .pdfs. It made me then request that color support be added to PDFRead v1.7; and that's why I'm involved with PDFRead v1.8!

I just tried to get two column output using PaperCrop 0.3 and this .pdf, but wasn't able to.

What algorithm would you suggest in getting this .pdf converted using a combination of reflow and/or two-column support?

Like I said before, a challenge!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAA.pdf (2.77 MB, 2693 views)
Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 PM   #35
Taesoo Kwon
Enthusiast
Taesoo Kwon doesn't litterTaesoo Kwon doesn't litter

Device: Kobo wifi
CAA.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I just tried to get two column output using PaperCrop 0.3 and this .pdf, but wasn't able to.
What algorithm would you suggest in getting this .pdf converted using a combination of reflow and/or two-column support?
That pdf file is really challenging. Current algorithm cannot correctly seperate non-convex regions overlapping both horizontally and vertically. There may exist good algorithms that can handle this case, but I don't know any of them at the moment. (I am not an expert in the field of document segmentation.) Also, such algorithm, if any, may probably increase processing time.

Of course, it is easy to segment the pdf file in a PDFRead-way (simply dividing a page into two regions.) I would include this over-simplified but robust segmentation method into PaperCrop as an option someday.

Last edited by Taesoo Kwon; 11-20-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Taesoo Kwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #36
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taesoo Kwon View Post
That pdf file is really challenging.
Yep, it is! Given that that .pdf is difficult to segment, I hope it doesn't discourage you. I was only trying to see if you may have had any insights on how best to tackle it's conversion.

Your program couldn't figure it out because it's not two-column but behaves like it is and reflow get confused with large blocks of center inset images.

I guess we'll leave it until version 0.4 ...

Thanks for trying!
Old 11-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #37
Ulysses
Ulysses began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Where are the pictures stored? I mean I don't see anything in a folder which is created together with PDF. Is there a way to get those pictures?
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #38
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
Where are the pictures stored? I mean I don't see anything in a folder which is created together with PDF. Is there a way to get those pictures?
You can edit 'config.lua' to get image files instead of one PDF.
The option 'output_to_pdf' should be changed to 'false' as follows.
Code:
output_to_pdf=false
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:22 AM   #39
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
withdrawn

Last edited by hansl; 12-18-2008 at 05:49 AM.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:10 AM   #40
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

withdrawn

Last edited by hansl; 12-18-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #41
Taesoo Kwon
Enthusiast

Sorry for a late response.
Hansl, could you please send me the PDF file to me? (taesoobear@gmail.com)
I may not be able to fix the bug soon but I will try when I have time.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 AM   #42
hansl
Zealot

Sorry, I removed the generated pdf.
I'm too busy currently to deal with the issue, but thanks for your reply.

hansl
Old 12-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #43
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I have a PDf with 300DPI images. I'd like to crop the PDF but keep the 300DPI. However PaperCrop is converting the image to 72DPI. Is there a setting that I can set to keep the DPI the same resolution as the original PDF (e.g. 300DPI) ?

Thank you,
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #44
Taesoo Kwon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
can I keep the DPI the same resolution as the original PDF (e.g. 300DPI) ?
No, you cannot. Sorry.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #45
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm embarrassed to ask, but how do I get Caritas' Reflow to work. And how can I validate that it works.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote