Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Tools to test pdf compatibility and speed?

I variously use k2opt with -mode copy and -dev dx and Ghostscript with -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 to pre-process pdfs for my Kindle Dx.

I sometimes use k2opt with -mode copy and sometimes -dev dx and then OCRmypdf with -f --output-type pdfa-1 to find readable text on pdfs without it or with corrupt text.

I occasionally use PDF to EPUB+, but it can screw up formatting, and it is a hassle if I need to cite page numbers.

I used to use Ghostscript with more aggressive options, but it would lose pages.

These tools *should* cover compatibility with the Kindle Dx, but Ghostscript sometimes yields very fast pdfs... and sometimes very slow ones that take several minutes to turn a page... forcing me to turn to k2 after all.

Is there any easy way to check for compatibility issues, missing or corrupt text, malformed pages, and/or speed?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Is there any easy way to check for compatibility issues, missing or corrupt text, malformed pages, and/or speed?
The free community edition of cpdf will automatically fix some errors if you simply use the following command:

Code:
cpdf in.pdf -o out.pdf
You can also use the linearization option to convert your PDF files to web optimized PDF files:

Code:
cpdf -l in.pdf -o out.pdf
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, but without a testing tool, I'd have to run every file through yet another app.

By default cpdf is a command-line tool, and depending how it refers to cpdflin, it may not work in Apple's Automator. I know ocrmypdf does not work in Apple's Automator, because of how it refers to tesseract.

Even with drag-and drop, it would be an issue for my repetitive stress injuries. Without drag-and-drop, it isn't suitable for more than a few files a week.

And the price is well out of my range.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
These tools *should* cover compatibility with the Kindle Dx, but Ghostscript sometimes yields very fast pdfs... and sometimes very slow ones that take several minutes to turn a page... forcing me to turn to k2 after all.

My experience is that the most common type of "slow" PDF is when the PDF uses a highly-compressed bitmap compression format such as JPX. A lot of archived books use this. Using k2pdfopt with the -i option will show you the internals of the PDF. Do you have a couple examples of the slow ones?
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru

No, these are ones I'd bought from Bundles of Holding.

I already converted jpx to Kindle-readable formats and removed passwords, etc. It may be an issue with technically-readable but oversized images. Unfortunately trying to compress or remove images occasionally leads to mis-scaled pages, with only the lower left corner showing, missing pages, etc.

I use the following /bin/bash shell script in Mac automator, passing input as arguments:

for f in "$@"
do
suffix="-converted.pdf"
base=`basename "$f" .pdf`
outputfile=$base$suffix
/usr/local/bin/gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -sstdout=%sstderr -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile="$outputfile" "$f"
done

I know the syntax is different in the regular terminal.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #6
MarjaE
Guru

Apparently I can use -dFastWebView to linearize w/in Ghostscript. I haven't tested the results on the Kindle yet.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
MarjaE
Guru

It didn't help. I think it's an issue with excessive images, even when they aren't jpx. But I get erratic results from using GS compression options to deal with the images.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
MarjaE
Guru

I got what looks like an interesing fix here:

https://softwarerecs.stackexchange.c...ns-of-same-pdf

I can't use it because I can't see the code window in wxdemo, because of the blinking cursor. But maybe some of you can use it.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:55 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I got what looks like an interesting fix here:

https://softwarerecs.stackexchange.c...ns-of-same-pdf

I can't use it because I can't see the code window in wxdemo, because of the blinking cursor. But maybe some of you can use it.
Did you install MuPDF via homebrew? Otherwise the tool wouldn't work anyway, since PyMuPDF expects MuPDF to be installed on your system. You'll also probably need to install wxpython via homebrew.

IMHO, the tool would be of limited use anyway, unless most of your pdf files have similar page counts, because all it does is log the time it takes to load a .pdf file. Obviously, it'll take longer to load a 200 page document than a 50 page document.

Last edited by Doitsu; 06-12-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
MarjaE
Guru

Yes, I have mupdf. I got stuck at the wxdemo code window. I probably should uninstall both versions of wxpython if I can't use them.

At this point I am thinking of using ghostscript with:

-K268435456 so memory and speed limitations show up. I think this is the total memory of the Kindle Dx. (256 mb x 1048576 b/mb).

-sPageList=1-10 so pdf length isn't too much of a problem.

and something to measure and output the rendering time, or attach it to the file name.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #11
MarjaE
Guru

One big difference is that I compress images with k2pdfopt, but due to various bugs, I no longer compress images with ghostscript. If image compression is the biggest difference, then

(1) I can compare the sizes of

(compressed) k2pdfopt -ui -mode copy -dev dx -o %_k2opt\ dx

with

(uncompressed) k2pdfopt -ui -mode copy -o %_k2opt\ copy

using the relative sizes as a rough proxy for the relative delays. But I've got some with a 4.0:1 ratio and no trouble, and others with a 2.4:1 ratio and freezes.

(2) I can use

(uncompressed) k2pdfopt -ui -mode copy -p 1-10 -o %_k2opt\ test

using the sizes as a rough proxy for the delays. But I've got some freeze-prone files at the 2.2 MB range and tolerably fast ones at 4.4 MB.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:41 AM   #12
MarjaE
Guru

I think I finally found a way to pre-check which pdfs are likely to take forever on my Kindle, or other slower devices. [P.S. gtime and gs are gnu-time and ghostscript.]

gtime -p -o input.pdf-timed.txt gs -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH input.pdf

In Mac Automator:

Application recieves files and folders as input.

Run Shell Script.

Set to use bash and recieve input as arguments, then:

for f in "$@"
do
suffix="-timed.pdf"
base=`basename "$f" .pdf`
outputfile=$base$suffix
/usr/local/bin/gtime -p -o "$f"-timed.txt /usr/local/bin/gs -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH "$f"
done

It outputs a txt file listing how long it took for ghostscript to run through the original file. I don't think the suffix, base, and outputfile lines are actually needed.

Last edited by MarjaE; 10-24-2019 at 04:15 AM.