Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
elaikenn628
elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.elaikenn628 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: KoBo touch
Unhappy Help

This is my first post and I am a 76 year old teenager and I have just bought a Kobo touch for my wife who is also 76 year old.

I have downloaded the desk top and username/password but I cannot get to the free e books part so can anyone help me please,

Ken
elaikenn628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaikenn628 View Post
This is my first post and I am a 76 year old teenager and I have just bought a Kobo touch for my wife who is also 76 year old.

I have downloaded the desk top and username/password but I cannot get to the free e books part so can anyone help me please,

Ken
Hi Ken and welcome to Mobileread where all ages have an interest in books and the ways in which to read and listen to them

Well, now that Kobo's changed their website to this 'new, beaut' site they no longer show a category for the free ebooks!!

Hope someone else can help you .... 'cos I can't find them!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Plenty of free ebooks right here on Mobileread...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=130

Or off at Project Gutenberg.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
You don't say what country you are in so this suggestion may fall flat. Does your local library have a website for you to borrow books?
Mort1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Welcome to MobileRead.

You've posted in the Freebies Forum.

Your post will now be moved to the Kobo forum.

Please take the time now to become familiar with our site.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The best way I know of is to click on "ebooks " toward the top of the site. The other choices on that line are for tablets or readers. The new page will have a short categories listing. You can though click on it and see all of the categories. Choose the one you are interested in and then sort low price to high. The free books will come up first.

It sounds more complicated than it really is.

Edit: Another great source of free books you can read on Kobo readers would be the digital collection of your local library. There are probably instructions on your library website. The librarians can also help you get started.

Last edited by taming; 09-15-2013 at 12:40 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
This Kobo link might work for you : http://www.kobo.com/free-ebooks
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Also in the categories you can select from price low to high, that should bring up the free books first, or at least you can in the UK site
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
This Kobo link might work for you : http://www.kobo.com/free-ebooks
I followed your link and despite the page on Kobo being headed Free ebooks, the listed titles all have prices displayed!

Kobo books free ebooks
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
I followed your link and despite the page on Kobo being headed Free ebooks, the listed titles all have prices displayed!

Kobo books free ebooks
I tried a search on a space (just hit the space bar in the search field) and got about 3 million books selected. Clicking on sort price low to high, the first pages are the free ebooks. When I clicked on the genres, the free ebooks still showed first in the list.

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-gb/Sea...&sort=PriceAsc

Don't know if this will work for you but I did select en-gb as the language to use.

OTOH, when I used the http://www.kobo.com/free-ebooks, it worked to get me to their free ebooks page. Note that this did not redirect to kobobooks.com or store.kobobooks.com for me.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
OTOH, when I used the http://www.kobo.com/free-ebooks, it worked to get me to their free ebooks page. Note that this did not redirect to kobobooks.com or store.kobobooks.com for me.

Regards,
David
I'm with WittyUsername. When I click that link and go into the lists, nothing is free and there are only a few entries each. The Classics section was empty.
DuskyRose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I'm with WittyUsername. When I click that link and go into the lists, nothing is free and there are only a few entries each. The Classics section was empty.
I used Tor to change my location and the books I was seeing disappeared. The few books that were visible, checking all the genres, had 3 freebies, the rest being cost items.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaikenn628 View Post

Ken
Hurrah - as a result of other posters saying that if you use Internet Explorer to access Kobo then you will get the old look site, I can link you directly to the Free ebooks section:

Internet Explorer version of Kobo: free ebooks here

Don't forget open the link in Internet Explorer

Let us know how you go
Old 09-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #14
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Having said that, I just tried opening the link in Firefox and I get the Free ebooks section!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
IE10 does not give you the old store. You can get a "broken" version of it using IE10 in compatibility mode (accessed through the view menu). Anyone who uses an old insecure version of IE, if they have the ability to update, may end up with bigger problems than not being able to easily see free books on the Kobo website.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote