Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hopefully it will make more sense once you get the plugin installed and click the Modify ePub button to see the options. Don't forget there is a Help file for that plugin as well, which describes in detail what each of the options do. Perhaps then the two options we suggest you use will make a bit more sense.

Don't worry about the rest of what I said - I just wanted to "complete the post" in terms of information. I personally hate it when people make generalisations saying that doing such and such is a bad idea without backing it up to say why. Besides which, quite often others can point out that actually the thought is wrong because there is another way around it - in this case I don't think I'm wrong but calibre continually improves and changes so quickly that the information may not be relevant x months from now.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
In the Modify ePub plugin as theDucks mentioned above if you want to replace a cover use the "Update metadata" option, and you will also see there is an option up the top right of the plugin screen of "Add/replace metadata jacket". Note that the adding/inserting metadata jacket functionality should "always" work with this plugin regardless of the ePub, it is the replacing of covers using "Update metadata" that will sometimes not be able to work for the reasons I mentioned above.
Kiwidude,

Okay, latest instalment of the situation.

I clicked to install the 'Modify E-Pub' plug-in and I was being told that the plug-in installation failed and that the plug-in will now be uninstalled. Yet when I clicked on what plug-ins had been installed, the 'Modify E-Pub' showed up as being installed.

I copied the details of the plug-in failure and put them at the bottom of this post. You may be able to decipher what is wrong from this if indeed anything is wrong at all?

Regarding your statement above where you said use the "Update metadata" option, I cannot see this option anywhere. Where should I be looking?

I also looked at the top right of the plug-in screen but could not see an option that said "Add/replace metadata jacket." So what is happening here and have I done anything wrong?

Thanks.

calibre, version 0.8.23
ERROR: Plugin installation failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart Calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 731, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 385, in check_for_add_to_toolbars
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 539, in load_actual_plugin
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 150, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.action", line 17, in <module>
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.common_utils", line 16, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name UNDEFINED_QDATETIME
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look at the screenshot in the first post of the Modify ePub plugin thread here. That is the screen we are talking about.

However you can't get to that if you can't install it. I've never seen that error before, but you are on a much older version of calibre - perhaps I need to update my "minimum calibre version" dependency. Maybe Kovid will have some insight. I would suggest updating to the latest calibre and then trying to install the plugin again.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #19
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:

However you can't get to that if you can't install it. I've never seen that error before, but you are on a much older version of calibre - perhaps I need to update my "minimum calibre version" dependency. Maybe Kovid will have some insight. I would suggest updating to the latest calibre and then trying to install the plugin again.
That would be it then

just a couple of questions before I update.

1. What is the latest version to update to or better still have you got a link?

2. When I update, does it take all my existing books with it? What happens to them?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
kiwidude

Calibre itself gives you a link down in the bottom right of the screen where it tells you to update. Or just go to the main calibre download page...

Your books and library will be absolutely fine. There are times when you upgrade calibre it needs to make some updates to the library database, so you can go "forwards" in versions but not backwards. If ever in doubt, make a backup of your whole library folder before you upgrade (but you should be keeping backups anyways).
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathside Boy View Post
Kiwidude,

Okay, latest instalment of the situation.

I clicked to install the 'Modify E-Pub' plug-in and I was being told that the plug-in installation failed and that the plug-in will now be uninstalled. Yet when I clicked on what plug-ins had been installed, the 'Modify E-Pub' showed up as being installed.

I copied the details of the plug-in failure and put them at the bottom of this post. You may be able to decipher what is wrong from this if indeed anything is wrong at all?

Regarding your statement above where you said use the "Update metadata" option, I cannot see this option anywhere. Where should I be looking?

I also looked at the top right of the plug-in screen but could not see an option that said "Add/replace metadata jacket." So what is happening here and have I done anything wrong?

Thanks.

calibre, version 0.8.23
ERROR: Plugin installation failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart Calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 731, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 385, in check_for_add_to_toolbars
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 539, in load_actual_plugin
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.action", line 17, in <module>
File "calibre_plugins.modify_epub.common_utils", line 16, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name UNDEFINED_QDATETIME
Look at your current version number, simply ancient
(note: this IS within the allowed range for this plugin)

What OS (and version) are you using?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Look at your current version number, simply ancient
(note: this IS within the allowed range for this plugin)

What OS (and version) are you using?
Kiwidude and theducks,

my operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate. So why did the plug-in not work? To add to that.....

I have twice downloaded the 7zip_Setup.exe Calibre update. Once from the Calibre interface in the bottom right-hand corner as you mentioned and once from your link. Both times I checked and both times it is showing that there is a 'PUP. Bundle.Inst malicious software in the zip. This is checked with Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy/anti-malware/adware software that I have.

I eventually took the risk and downloaded everything and unchecked the stuff that I did not want. After doing everything, I ended up downloading programs I did not need such as 'Fun moods,' 'Wajam' and 'Toast' (that is something to do with Facebook Yuk!)

these programmes jointly had 31 malware and adware items in them. Fortunately, I caught them all and got rid of them. Did you realise this?

When I reopened Calibre, I am still being told that there is an update available in the bottom right-hand corner of the interface. I did all that, collecting all that malware and it still did not download the latest Calibre program.

Is there anywhere else I can download the update that does not contain any malware, adware or spyware? AND...

can you give me a set of instructions so that it is downloaded safely and so I do not download lots of programs I do not need except the updated Calibre software?

Thanks

HB
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #23
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Heathside Boy,

I'm a WinXP user. I've never come across a calibre upgrade called 7zip_Setup.exe??? When I get the 'official' download using the clickable link in the bottom right corner of the library window I get a download file called calibre-0.8.47.msi (which I haven't installed yet). I've also checked the file with Malwarebytes and Avira, neither of which report any malware problems.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #24
kiwidude

jackie_w has it exactly right. The official calibre download (either from the link I gave you above, or from the lower right of the calibre application) is an msi file, not an executable. It contains zero spyware or other nastiness etc.

Where on earth you downloading that "7zip_setup.exe" link from? That certainly is not from the official calibre website here.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
jackie_w has it exactly right. The official calibre download (either from the link I gave you above, or from the lower right of the calibre application) is an msi file, not an executable. It contains zero spyware or other nastiness etc.

Where on earth you downloading that "7zip_setup.exe" link from? That certainly is not from the official calibre website here.
Kiwi dude,

I've now seen exactly what Jackie has seen as an 'Alternate download location'.

I clicked the main download on the right-hand side of the page with a great big grey arrow pointing to download. I didn't think to use the Alternate download location.

Here is the link I got when clicking on your link and clicking the update on the bottom right hand side of the Calibre interface.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

Thanks

HB
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
kiwidude

Still confused - that link you posted is exactly where you should be going. Doesn't that give you exactly the page as per the screenshot attached? And clicking on the link that says "Download calibre" should directly download the .msi file?

If it doesn't then your browser is already infected with something nasty. And if it does, then you still haven't explained where/why you were downloading 7zip_setup.exe?

I am always confused as to how people end up downloading "dodgy" versions of calibre - it seems so straightforward to me to follow the download link on the calibre website, why would you be going anywhere else? You are not the first to post about it going wrong for you here, so don't think I am picking on you, I am just curious how people get themselves into a pickle with this. 7zip is absolutely nothing to do with calibre, and calibre's website is one of the all too few that doesn't infest itself with misleading download links from advertisers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Download1.png
Views:	176
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	85359  
Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathside Boy View Post
Kiwi dude,

I've now seen exactly what Jackie has seen as an 'Alternate download location'.

I clicked the main download on the right-hand side of the page with a great big grey arrow pointing to download. I didn't think to use the Alternate download location.

Here is the link I got when clicking on your link and clicking the update on the bottom right hand side of the Calibre interface.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

Thanks

HB
That is a AD that is placed by the hosting site see the 'Ad choices' marking in the right circle.
The real downloads are the other 2 circles. They sucked you in with social engineering
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreDwnload.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	85360  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #28
kiwidude

Ahhhh... my adblocker in my browser did its work, I didn't realise calibre had an ad on the right side
Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #29
Heathside Boy
HB

Yes I got sucked in and theducts is showing the correct arrow I was talking about

Loads and loads of malware in it

Last edited by Heathside Boy; 04-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #30
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Ahhhh... my adblocker in my browser did its work, I didn't realise calibre had an ad on the right side
Ah-ha, I don't see a big green arrow either. Thanks, theducks, for shedding light on this little mystery.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote