Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I already told you how to install the command-line tools.

And you said you have a way to create associations for an executable path.

To open a particular ebook:
Code:
/usr/bin/ebook-viewer $ebook_file
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #32
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
@eschwartz

I'm sorry, I don't understand if your "auto updater" on Github will solve the task I have.

Is there anyone who tried the auto updater from Eli on OS X and was able to create an association?

Open a particular ebook is not my task.
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again, once you create the symlinks, you can create a file association that merely passes the selected book as a parameter to `/usr/bin/ebook-viewer`. You did say you know how to create an arbitrary association to a command-line executable -- well, that will need to use the symlink, not the *.app

My updater includes code to create the symlinks, but you could also run (as root) the command that the updater would run:
Code:
ln -sf /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/MacOS/* /usr/bin/
Old 05-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #34
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Thanks for your hints.

I will try to find out, how to login as "root".
To be honest: I have no experience at all with the terminal.
And therefor it's difficult for me to understand and to control what really happens, when I perform a command.

Do I have to perfom that command each time, when a new calibre version has been installed?

I hope, that Kovid will offer a separate standalone app "ebook viewer" in the future.
That would be great.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Just the once is all you need to create a symlink.

I don't know if Kovid *can* offer a standalone app. I assume if it were possible he'd already have done it.

I think this may just be a limitation of Apple's policy about standalone, self-contained applications. How do you tell the OS that secret executables hidden inside the package can also run GUI programs?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #36
ibu
Addict

I tried to find out how to "login as root" on OS X.

Many results. Seems to be complicated because of the security policies of Apple. I nearly don't understand anything of the hints.

May be someone reads this thread who is an experiences OS X user and likes to explain the steps which solve the task.

Thanks for all your hints, Eli. Sorry, that I'm not able to follow the explanations about the terminal commands.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

It shouldn't be that hard... just begin the command with "sudo" to temporarily become root.

e.g.
Code:
sudo ln -sf /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/MacOS/* /usr/bin/
Old 05-23-2016, 12:19 AM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply launch the viewer from inside calibre, then right click the viewer dock icon and select keep in dock. That will give you a way to launch the viewer without starting the rest of calibre. As for file associations -- I have made a change that will allow you to associate /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/ebook-viewer.app with files in the next release.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:55 AM   #39
ibu
Addict

@Eli

It seem's to be harder to solve than just a "sudo".

With sudo I just get a "operation not permitted".

I suppose, the reason is the gatekeeper function of OS X.
As I posted before, there are many results, when you search for "login as root". Seem to be complicated to add such symlinks.

@Kovid
Thanks a lot!
I'm looking forward to that release.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Oh, right -- Apple did their weird System Integrity Protection thing, which you will have to disable or else install the symlinks to /usr/local/bin/ instead of /usr/bin/
Old 06-24-2016, 04:03 AM   #41
ibu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As for file associations -- I have made a change that will allow you to associate /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/ebook-viewer.app with files in the next release.
Works perfectly. Thanks a lot Kovid!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #42
Sean Patrick
Sean Patrick began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro, Galaxy Tab4
Smile Change the app to open epubs

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/h...plications-mac
This link solved my issue getting epubs to open with the Calibre ebook viewer. Mac OX High Sierra 10.13 Calibre v2.61
Sean Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote