Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #16
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
In the test, 50 hours of reading time were determined per battery charge. A medium quality battery should hold up to 500 charges.
That's 25,000 hours of reading time! ~ 7 years with 10 hours per day!
Sure, I get it, the thing is this is not just an ereader and if you like playing a few games now and then, use the notes application actively or use the WIFI/Bluetooth regularly, you'll find your battery shrinks rapidly. Of course you may not use those features at all, so you'll get seven years. I put a massive battey inside my Kobo Mini when I converted it to a flight computer, wired in a GPS etc. and the battery life as an eReader for that device is literallly years now, but as a flight computer, hours. (It also got a lot thicker, I had to 3D print a new case for it!) We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, for me, it is a poor design choice with the Note Air that ruins an innovative device which otherwise would be a winner IMHO

Quote:
Regarding the screen: the Note Air is the only 10.3 with a non-Mobius substrate - it has a glass substrate and the difference in quality to other 10.3 inch devices can be seen from here.
Yes, I had seen that before I wrote the original post. eInk claim a huge improvement in contrast and that doesn't seem to show obviously in the video. Maybe in real life it looks much better, after the processing through Youtube it might lose a lot of the contrast as well If anyone has pictures.. would love to see them. We need a 'deep guide' on screen quality!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
Yes, I had seen that before I wrote the original post. eInk claim a huge improvement in contrast and that doesn't seem to show obviously in the video. Maybe in real life it looks much better, after the processing through Youtube it might lose a lot of the contrast as well If anyone has pictures.. would love to see them. We need a 'deep guide' on screen quality!
I have Likebook Alita, with the same screen as Note 2/3, and Note Air - the difference is clearly visible, but I am not able to photograph it in such a way that it can be seen in the picture.
But the shape of the DASUNG 10.3" E-ink Tablet: Not-eReader 103 should have the same screen as Note Air - there is no space for a Mobius display.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #18
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
I have given up on eink readers:

- In Reddit someone posted his Note 2 screen broke...? I thought flexible screens were virtually unbreakable! And he said not have forced it much.

- Yesterday I was surprised: an LG smart TV 50" 4K, etc. costs nearly 350$...

I'm not buying an eink reader which costs almost 70% more than an impressive smart TV and is probably much more fragile and I don't need it because anyone has proven LCD is more harmful than eink.

I'd better get a cheap tablet and turn down brightness.

Enviado desde mi Mi Max mediante Tapatalk
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
- In Reddit someone posted his Note 2 screen broke...? I thought flexible screens were virtually unbreakable! And he said not have forced it much.
What I read is that the glass is broken, but not the display module.
Quote:
I'd better get a cheap tablet and turn down brightness.
Nevertheless, the light then shines directly into your eyes.
Because you can't read anything without light

Last edited by ottischwenk; 11-27-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:04 AM   #20
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What I read is that the glass is broken, but not the display module.
Well, if you can't use the device any more, it's the same outcome.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:47 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Well, if you can't use the device any more, it's the same outcome.
No, because you can use the device with broken glass, but not with broken EInk Layer.
Just pick a foil over it and it's good
Old 11-28-2020, 03:19 AM   #22
viceant
Addict

Quote:
No, because you can use the device with broken glass, but not with broken EInk Layer.
Just pick a foil over it and it's good
Maybe I haven't understand something because the seller asks 320€ for repairing.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:34 AM   #23
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:
Maybe I haven't understand something because the seller asks 320€ for repairing.
It might be because the glass layer and the LED cannot be replaced separately and the whole display will need to be replaced.
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #24
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4H35H View Post
It might be because the glass layer and the LED cannot be replaced separately and the whole display will need to be replaced.
Then the person who repaired does not know his way around or he is cheating on the customer. The glass can be easily removed with warm air.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:46 AM   #25
viceant
Addict

Quote:
Then the person who repaired does not know his way around or he is cheating on the customer. The glass can be easily removed with warm air.
The person is Ereader-store.de, where you bought your Note Air. Years ago they didn't want to repair my M92, which broke its screen, because it was three or four years old (paying).
Old 11-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #26
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
The person is Ereader-store.de, where you bought your Note Air. Years ago they didn't want to repair my M92, which broke its screen, because it was three or four years old (paying).
The M92 has a glass layer.
And Im sure, that Ereader-store doesnt repair any device.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #27
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:
Ereader-store doesnt repair any device.
How do you know? Anyone else outside china handles repairs?
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #28
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4H35H View Post
How do you know? Anyone else outside china handles repairs?
Boox repairs are done by Fixit SA, Poland
Old 11-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have given up on eink readers:

The screen of the Note 2 uses a glass substrate and the user broke it. He forced it too much and the screen broke. User error in this case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
- Yesterday I was surprised: an LG smart TV 50" 4K, etc. costs nearly 350$...
That LG TV is not an impressive TV. It's a low end LG UHD TV. You need to spend more to get an impressive UHD TV.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote