Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
wolpi
wolpi began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2
Question Use "short" instead of "full" title for title sort & renaming?

Especially for Non-Fiction books, the title metadata frequently not only contains the actual title, but also a subtitle, e.g.

"A Visual Astronomer's Photographic Guide to the Deep Sky: A Pocket Field Guide (Astronomer's Pocket Field Guide)"

This produces incorrect or ugly results both with the {title_sort} "library order" format and with naming the book on export.

What I would like to achieve is for books with a title of the form "{short_title}: {subtitle}" like the above:

{title_sort} = library_order{short_title} ("Visual Astronomer's Photographic Guide to the Deep Sky, A")

If the {title} does not contain a ":" (i.e. indication of no subtitle being present) then {short_title}={title}

renamed exported file = "{short_title} - {author_sort} - {publisher} - {pubdate}"

Can this be done in Calibre? If so, I would be grateful for any pointers, examples etc. you could give me.

Thanks,

Wolpi
wolpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I made a custom column {#subtitle} : text shown it Tag browser

I manually move (sometimes aided by S&R. But caution is needed because not titles should split on a colon, dash) them (cut and paste), the recompute the title sort (click the button)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I made a custom column {#subtitle} : text shown it Tag browser

I manually move (sometimes aided by S&R. But caution is needed because not titles should split on a colon, dash) them (cut and paste), the recompute the title sort (click the button)

I keep the 'short title' in Title and put the subtitle into a Strapline/#strapline custom column. I have Add set up to take the Author and Title from the file name. Prior to importing I separate the Title and Strapline with a '#', and then use Bulk Metadata Edit Search and Replace to move what's after the '#' to the custom column.

My custom column is same type as theducks, Text, column shown in Tag browser, and I hide it in the Tag browser.

My understanding is that the next release of calibre (maybe as soon as today) will have provision for the equivalent of a 'Text, column not shown in Tag Browser' column type. I intend moving my existing Strapline column into one of those - I'll have to figure out how to put the comma separated bits back together again

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote