Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2020, 04:27 AM   #1
Jabberwock
Jabberwock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
How dead is my PRS-600?

Hello again - the site has just informed that last time I have been here was eight years ago

At the time I was using PRS-500, which died long time ago, so when I saw a PRS-600 at a local flea market for peanuts, I picked it up out of sentiment, even though I had not much hope to get it running.

Here is what the problem with it seems to be: when I bought it, the battery was empty for months I guess. The screen looked OK - it displayed a page from some book (no low battery warning though, which my PRS-500 displayed died with when out of juice). However, when I have charged it, it seems that only one corner of the screen refreshes and even then only with some weird lines - only the battery indicator seems to display OK.

My question is: is it likely for the screen to be damaged, even though the last display was OK? Or maybe is it some early e-ink weirdness that can be somehow rectified?
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:13 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
My question is: is it likely for the screen to be damaged, even though the last display was OK? Or maybe is it some early e-ink weirdness that can be somehow rectified?
Can you show a picture?
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #3
Jabberwock
Jabberwock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
It stopped responding completely, so I opened it up and the battery is all swollen, so I am not going to waste any more time on it.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It stopped responding completely, so I opened it up and the battery is all swollen, so I am not going to waste any more time on it.
If you try to remove the battery, it could explode. So get rid of it. That plus the mirror finish on the touch layer make it a wash.

Never ever buy a Sony Reader PRS-600, 900, or 700. Those are some of the worst Readers ever.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-28-2020 at 01:46 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Never ever buy a Sony Reader PRS-600, 950, or 700. Those are some of the worst Readers ever.
I can’t comment on the 600 or 700, but I loved my PRS-950. It was a fantastic reader and made me an instant, “Bigger is better” convert, in addition to being sleek, luxe and comfortable to hold. I moved on to the H2O only when the battery got flaky. I wouldn’t recommend buying one now or any reader of that vintage; aside from battery considerations the technology has moved on, but it was absolutely great in its day.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I can’t comment on the 600 or 700, but I loved my PRS-950. It was a fantastic reader and made me an instant, “Bigger is better” convert, in addition to being sleek, luxe and comfortable to hold. I moved on to the H2O only when the battery got flaky. I wouldn’t recommend buying one now or any reader of that vintage; aside from battery considerations the technology has moved on, but it was absolutely great in its day.
My mistake. It was a typo. It should have read 900. That was the save screen size as the 950 but with the same awful touch layer that the 600 has.

The touch layer was too far away from the screen and it was way too reflective. It made the screen a lot more fuzzy and mirror-like. The 700 was the one with the LEDs for the light and that was not a layer. It was awful when the LEDs were off.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I just had to replace my wife's laptop battery for the same reason. But it's only about three years old(?). At any rate, I don't think gently prying the battery free should pose that big of a risk. Batteries for these cost about $11 in the U.S. — so probably more than the cost of buying another 600. (And the swelled battery could have caused damage to the unit. I had one Kindle 3 (bought at auction) with a battery so swelled that it broke the screen (or substrate?).)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My mistake. It was a typo. It should have read 900. That was the save screen size as the 950 but with the same awful touch layer that the 600 has.

The touch layer was too far away from the screen and it was way too reflective. It made the screen a lot more fuzzy and mirror-like. The 700 was the one with the LEDs for the light and that was not a layer. It was awful when the LEDs were off.
I agree on the 600, 700 and 900. The 700 screen wasn't much good even with the light on, but it was usable. It's sad that the 700 is the only front-lit reader Sony ever made.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I agree on the 600, 700 and 900. The 700 screen wasn't much good even with the light on, but it was usable. It's sad that the 700 is the only front-lit reader Sony ever made.
Sony did come out with a light wedge cover that was also awful. Witht he light off, it wasn't easy to read.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I once owned the Sony 600.

It was one of the worst ebook readers I've ever owned - in term of reading.

But it was gorgeous to look at.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The 600 was dead when it was brand new.

It doesn't matter if your 600 works or not. Get a new Reader as the 600 is awful to read with unless you like reading with a mirror finish screen and having your face overly the text.