Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #61
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Some cities and counties have a separate sales tax. Atlanta, Georgia charges a city sales tax. The money is paid to the state and they disburse it to the city. Also, a percentage of the sales tax collected in each county is returned to that county. The county then has to disburse a percentage to each city and town in the county based on population. The city and county I live in had a dispute over how much money the city received from the county. It ended up in a lawsuit.
In Georgia the residents can also vote on special-purpose local-option sales taxes (SPLOST). If the SPLOST passes the taxes in that county go up 1%. The money collected can only be used for funding the building of parks, schools, roads, and other public facilities. They also are in effect for a specific period of time after which tthey expire. Last year our county passed one to fund upgrades to the local airport Air Traffic Control Tower.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How can removing VAT bother the publisher? They will still get the exact same profit.
It just depends on your point of view. If the publishers set the prices (VAT included) to closely match the US price, then now that VAT is no longer charged, they can sell for the same price and they make more money on it.

A positive way to look at it is now indies have a chance to make more money without raising their prices.

I dunno. Maybe they should change their prices. Are ebooks more expensive at the UK store than the US store? Stephen King's If It Bleeds is 10.99, which even with conversion is cheaper than it is at the US store. The Last Policeman is 1.42. Cheaper than the $1.99 in the US store. The Grapes of Wrath is 4.99 which is a very good deal against our $14.99. I pulled up several Harlan Coben books and all were cheaper in the UK.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
In NZ GST is applied to essentially every common good and service except financial transactions (so one does not pay GST on purchases of company shares, for example); nor on second hand goods in order to avoid multiple taxing of the same good through its useful life (so a house buyer pays GST on a house just built, but not on second hand houses). GST fraud in NZ is very low and there is little chance of evasion by wrongly categorizing goods; and there is a very high level of acceptance here that this is the way it should be. Australia exempts some goods, mainly basic foods (there may be others, but foods serves this example) which muddies the waters as it can be unclear or contorted to be unclear as to what category the good is in.
In Canada, GST can get a little weird. Basic groceries are GST exempt but if I buy one of a prepared food product, it's GST taxable while buying 6 of them makes the purchase GST exempt (single use vs. multiple use). A uncooked chicken is not taxable while a rotisserie chicken is. Milk at the grocery store is not taxed but the same container of milk at McDonald's is taxed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It just depends on your point of view. If the publishers set the prices (VAT included) to closely match the US price, then now that VAT is no longer charged, they can sell for the same price and they make more money on it.

A positive way to look at it is now indies have a chance to make more money without raising their prices.

I dunno. Maybe they should change their prices. Are ebooks more expensive at the UK store than the US store? Stephen King's If It Bleeds is 10.99, which even with conversion is cheaper than it is at the US store. The Last Policeman is 1.42. Cheaper than the $1.99 in the US store. The Grapes of Wrath is 4.99 which is a very good deal against our $14.99. I pulled up several Harlan Coben books and all were cheaper in the UK.
There is no positive way to look at this. The UK government did away with VAT for eBooks so they would be cheaper for consumers to purchase. At Amazon this is not happening with the major publishers. Basically, Amazon made a crappy deal and now the major publishers get to screw their customers. Well done Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #65
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
There is no positive way to look at this.
Never let it be said that you don't fairly asses both sides of an argument before reaching a decision.

Quote:
now the major publishers get to screw their customers. Well done Amazon.
And how do you explain indie books?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #66
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Never let it be said that you don't fairly asses [sic] both sides of an argument before reaching a decision.
My '[sic]'.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Never let it be said that you don't fairly asses both sides of an argument before reaching a decision.

And how do you explain indie books?
Indie books that show a VAT reduction are not from a major publisher. You know, the price fix six.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #68
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In Canada, GST can get a little weird. Basic groceries are GST exempt but if I buy one of a prepared food product, it's GST taxable while buying 6 of them makes the purchase GST exempt (single use vs. multiple use). A uncooked chicken is not taxable while a rotisserie chicken is. Milk at the grocery store is not taxed but the same container of milk at McDonald's is taxed.
That is very much like Australia too.

There are periodically interest groups here in NZ who want exemptions on basic foods (as to what is a basic food depends on who one asks) but has never got any traction with either most consumers or the Government. We have only ever had GST increases here (twice, was 10% originally, to 12.5%, to 15%) and surprisingly to me (I being market oriented ) the general public seemed to think it was quite alright for suppliers to put their prices up to cover it - of course the suppliers were very happy with that.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:26 AM   #69
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
There is no positive way to look at this. The UK government did away with VAT for eBooks so they would be cheaper for consumers to purchase.
Actually mostly typical Conservative PR because it's a small amount of tax and an anomaly as books are zero.
There was a long time fuss about the fact of essential female hygiene products having VAT. Far more serious.
Also see Jaffa Cake VAT case.

The biggest issue is the Big Publishers charging the SAME for ebooks as Supermarket Mass Market paperbacks. Also books going out of print. Even quite recent ones, yet the POD cost is about 1/4 of the typical retail book outside of the supermarket.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:31 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Actually mostly typical Conservative PR because it's a small amount of tax and an anomaly as books are zero.
There was a long time fuss about the fact of essential female hygiene products having VAT. Far more serious.
Also see Jaffa Cake VAT case.

The biggest issue is the Big Publishers charging the SAME for ebooks as Supermarket Mass Market paperbacks. Also books going out of print. Even quite recent ones, yet the POD cost is about 1/4 of the typical retail book outside of the supermarket.
Whatever the reason for eBooks to have VAT dropped means they should now be cheaper. They should not be the same price with VAT and without VAT. So any reason for eBooks to be the same price with and without VAT is pure BS and needs to stop. eBooks need to be the correct price at all UK retailers. And that correct price is VAT price minus VAT. So a £7.99 (with VAT) eBook should be sold for £6.66 at ALL retailers in the UK.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #71
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As I may have mentioned, I have a magazine renewal coming up in a few days. I think I'll cancel it and re-subscribe when things have settled down a little. It's every two months, so I won't miss an issue (the latest one came out on 1st May).

I'm also going to hold off on any non-special offer purchases.

Amazon have already told the Guardian that special offers will not be reduced (i.e. the £0.99 daily deals will remain £0.99 )
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #72
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
As I may have mentioned, I have a magazine renewal coming up in a few days. I think I'll cancel it and re-subscribe when things have settled down a little. It's every two months, so I won't miss an issue (the latest one came out on 1st May).

I'm also going to hold off on any non-special offer purchases.

Amazon have already told the Guardian that special offers will not be reduced (i.e. the £0.99 daily deals will remain £0.99 )
can you find any reader comments on that guardian article. I can't but they may be an interesting read, if they are allowing comments
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #73
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
At Amazon this is not happening with the major publishers. Basically, Amazon made a crappy deal and now the major publishers get to screw their customers. Well done Amazon.
This is no different at Kobo UK, but you are choosing to ignore that, I notice.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #74
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
VAT isthe same thing as sales tax. The only difference is that VAT is the same for the entire UK unlike the US where sales tax can be different for different states.
No it is not.
VAT is added AT every step of the way, Manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer

Sales Tax is charged to the customer bases on the sale price.

Many states in the USA Have a 'State' sales tax.
Some, like Arizona, have a County level additional tax
Some, like California and Washington also have a CITY/Town additional tax rate.
(I cite these only because I had Tax ID's for filing)

For a USA retailer, this can be a nightmare.
Unlike the Simple: Food, Labor and all else.
there are specific exceptions or conditions.
CA has a 'Twinkie Tax'. A Sheet cake is Food (no tax). A slice of cake is a snack (taxed) A raw fish is food. Cook that fish and it is 'take out' (taxed).
AZ had so many different kinds of items taxed at the county level ONLY by some jurisdictions.

As a former Internet merchant, I applaud the European (and Canada) SIMPLE VAT method as opposed to the hodge-podge USA sales tax chaos.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:40 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
This is no different at Kobo UK, but you are choosing to ignore that, I notice.
I did mention it in one of the two threads on VAT. Also, I've mentioned that ebooks.com is doing the VAT free properly.