Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
drawson1
Connoisseur
drawson1 began at the beginning.

Device: Libra H20, Clara 2E
KSM 08, kobo database, and Calibre

I have an "original" Aura with the latest firmware (3.19.5761). I've installed KSM 08 and I'm using Calibre 2.78 on OpenSUSE to manage my library.

In the past, I've always exited whatever reader I was running back to KSM, used the USB tools to enable the USB port, and then plugged in the cable and started Calibre. I add my books to Calibre, send them to the device (normally the SD card), then eject the device (commonly from inside Calibre) and un-plug.

Now I'm noticing that the "On Device" listing in Calibre is wrong for the newly added books _AFTER I RESTART CALIBRE_. The first books that had this problem were added in September, which is approximately when I did the firmware update.

Question: When running with KSM, how does the Kobo database get updated? The Calibre team is looking at this, but I'm wondering if the kobo database isn't getting updated for some reason un-related to Calibre.

Thanks!

Dan
drawson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawson1 View Post
I have an "original" Aura with the latest firmware (3.19.5761). I've installed KSM 08 and I'm using Calibre 2.78 on OpenSUSE to manage my library.

In the past, I've always exited whatever reader I was running back to KSM, used the USB tools to enable the USB port, and then plugged in the cable and started Calibre. I add my books to Calibre, send them to the device (normally the SD card), then eject the device (commonly from inside Calibre) and un-plug.

Now I'm noticing that the "On Device" listing in Calibre is wrong for the newly added books _AFTER I RESTART CALIBRE_. The first books that had this problem were added in September, which is approximately when I did the firmware update.

Question: When running with KSM, how does the Kobo database get updated? The Calibre team is looking at this, but I'm wondering if the kobo database isn't getting updated for some reason un-related to Calibre.

Thanks!

Dan
I cannot really answer your questions, since I do not use Calibre to load books on my devices. As to your last question: Usually the database gets updated when you disconnect the device AND nickel is running. That would mean that one should connect from within nickel to the pc, if one wants to load books that nickel should deal with. If you are using the Kobo Utilities Plugin, it might be different, since it writes to the database. But I do not know whether it does the whole job on its own, or if it still needs nickel to be running.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Kobo Utilities plugin only writes to the database to add in Series data IF the book is already in the database. It relies on Nickel to have scanned for new content and added it to the database.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I cannot really answer your questions, since I do not use Calibre to load books on my devices. As to your last question: Usually the database gets updated when you disconnect the device AND nickel is running. That would mean that one should connect from within nickel to the pc, if one wants to load books that nickel should deal with. If you are using the Kobo Utilities Plugin, it might be different, since it writes to the database. But I do not know whether it does the whole job on its own, or if it still needs nickel to be running.
As PeterT said, the Kobo Utilities plugin only writes to the database if the book is already there. Same goes for the drivers (with the exception of shelves). I've looked at creating the book records in the database and put it in to the "not worth the effort" basket. The driver assumes the books are processed by nickel and put into the database. It doesn't look anywhere except in the database for books. If they are not in the database, they are effectively not on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:06 AM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Thank you PeterT and davidfor. This is what I assumed, but I was not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've looked at creating the book records in the database and put it in to the "not worth the effort" basket.
I once thought it might be worth to several steps on the pc: 1) integrity check of the epubs, 2) writing the records to the database, 3) preparing the needed image files, to make it easier/quicker to copy a huge bunch of books to the device. But it turned out, I do not so often copy a huge bunch of books in one go.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert