Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-13-2019, 03:10 AM   #28501
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
When I noticed it was an Alan Grant book, I switched to The Franchise Affair. Which I then found that although technically an Alan Grant book, he plays almost no part in it at all

I enjoyed The Franchise Affair. Not much mystery, but a nice description of the characters and the finding of a solution.

Next up: F&SF, Sep/Oct 2019.
Which was their 70th Anniversary issue, and very good. I've certainly enjoyed it a lot more with their 'new' editor, CC Finlay. (Checking, I see that he's now been editor for over four years!

Next up: Sharpe's Enemy by Bernard Cornwell. The 15th Sharpe Novel (by internal chronology).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #28502
EAHope
Wacky Writer
EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EAHope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi,

I wonder, does anybody know Tenebra Zeta #1 - Tomb of Plagues by Justin Bedard? I have finished it a few days ago, and was pleasantly surprised it was quite good :-) It is fast-paced, but there is plenty of space for the main duo's interactions and the end isn't as straightforward as it may seem :-D

I have started reading the next book in the series too, and I'm glad I picked the rest of the series as well :-)
EAHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #28503
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Finally got back to my reading this week. Last night I finished “White Jenna” by Jane Yolen, the second Great Alta book. I quite liked it, as it was a good conclusion to the story set up in the first book, “Sister Light, Sister Dark.” I enjoyed the contrast between the actual story the historical/mythic asides. The plot really raced along.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #28504
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Sharpe's Enemy by Bernard Cornwell. The 15th Sharpe Novel (by internal chronology).
Which was the usual enjoyable historical romp. So enjoyable, I'm going straight on to the next one: Sharpe's Honour.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #28505
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm reading:

Churchill Goes to War: Winston's Wartime Journeys by Brian Lavery, which is about Churchill's trips to meet with the other two of the Big Three during WWII. I don't like it as much as a glowing review by a friend at Goodreads led me to expect, as it's (naturally enough) heavy on logistics, not really my thing. Still fascinating as insight into Churchill; I'm not a huge fan and this book plays into that.

Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope, the fourth Barchester novel. I'm happy to say that Trollope's back on his typical witty and insightful form after a disappointing outing in Dr. Thorn.

Spartan Women by Sarah B. Pomeroy, which is rather a dud. There's not that much historical evidence for the lives of women in ancient Sparta, so of necessity this book is both repetitive and highly speculative. That would be fine with an engaging narrative, but while Pomeroy can research, she can't write. There are gems here, but you work for them.

Sharpe's Revenge by Bernard Cornwell, the 19th Sharpe novel. Somewhat coincidentally, I just finished the Aubrey/Maturin book that deals with the same period of the end (not so fast) of the Napoleonic Wars and the immediate aftermath. Overall, I've preferred the Sharpe novels where Cornwell gets inventive and plotty to those where Sharpe is the key person to winning every single freaking battle in the peninsular wars, so I'm good.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #28506
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
to those where Sharpe is the key person to winning every single freaking battle in the peninsular wars
Eliminating those books doesn't leave much of the series.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #28507
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Which was the usual enjoyable historical romp. So enjoyable, I'm going straight on to the next one: Sharpe's Honour.
And that was so much fun I went straight onto Sharpe's Regiment.

And now I'm not sure what'll be next.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #28508
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My Goodreads ratings on these:

Sharpe's Enemy ****
Sharpe's Honor **
Sharpe's Regiment ***

Obviously I'm all over the place on them! For me, three stars is the baseline, four stars is quite spiffy indeed and two stars is pretty bad. (I thought Sharpe's Honor was ridiculous.)
Spoiler:
Cornwell lost me entirely when he hanged his second ringer. Once was dubious enough, but twice?

Flaws and all, they are great fun; I'll be sorry to reach the last of them and it's in sight.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #28509
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I admit, I quite enjoyed them for a while. But their sameness finally got to me, and I got bored. Perhaps, in another year or two, I'll be ready to return to Sharpe's gallantry and his ladies.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #28510
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I admit, I quite enjoyed them for a while. But their sameness finally got to me, and I got bored. Perhaps, in another year or two, I'll be ready to return to Sharpe's gallantry and his ladies.
According to goodreads, I read two of these about 10 years ago... and was utterly underwhelmed by the sameness (and likely the ladies).
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #28511
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Currently 17% through Beloved Delhi:A Mughal City And Her Greatest Poets and loving the new progress bar in the Kobo firmware.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:01 PM   #28512
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
According to goodreads, I read two of these about 10 years ago... and was utterly underwhelmed by the sameness (and likely the ladies).
The TV series, with Sean Bean, was actually quite fun. But the books? Meh.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:42 AM   #28513
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The TV series, with Sean Bean, was actually quite fun. But the books? Meh.
Ah well, each to his own. That I've ripped through three in four days makes them good reads for me - fun and enjoyable.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #28514
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: The Blood of the Fifth Knight by E. M. Powell. Historical fiction in the time of King Henry II
Old 09-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #28515
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I really enjoyed the Sharpe books, myself. I read them all in a fairly short period of time, bar the one which was published later. The "backfill" books were mostly a bit less interesting, but I kind of enjoy learning my history through the prism of fictitious action.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote