Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #1261
eKaterina1
eKaterina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Hello Everyone!
Thanks for KCC! I just bought an used Oasis2 to read some comic, and tried it immediately.
Now, please pardon me if I say something stupid, but I tried several options (I'm using KCC GUI 5.5.1 on Windows and still I'm experiencing a weird behaviour: The converted .mobi is slightly darker than the original and it has much 'grain' effect on it.
I have tried with and without resize, and still the effect is the same. Please check the attached pic:

https://ibb.co/WyW6kH2

The first 2 are from a close shot on my Oasis2, the 3rd is a crop from the original JPG file.
As you can see, the same manga, converted with KCC is darker.
I know there is a Gamma option in the CLI version, but it is not available on the GUI version of KCC and I'm not able to compile the PY... any idea?
Many Thanks!

Last edited by eKaterina1; 07-31-2019 at 08:44 AM.
eKaterina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:46 AM   #1262
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@eKaterina1 - GUI version also have option to change gamma - "Custom gamma"
@JAIvY - Your process is breaking layout of the book. I don't recommend to touch KindleGen output in any way.
@radius - Nope. You can check source code.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 07-31-2019 at 09:05 AM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 AM   #1263
eKaterina1

@AcidWeb You're right and I was terribly wrong
I had to experiment and found out that, at least in my test manga, a value of 0.30 for Gamma gave me optimum results.
The problem is that the "Auto" setting produced very dark images 'out of the box', while KCCreator had nearly perfect results at first try.
Since I imagine that 0.30 gamma value cannot be the right one for every comic.. is there a way to 'tune' the Auto setting or improve it somehow?
Many thanks!
Old 07-31-2019, 09:18 AM   #1264
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:32 AM   #1265
eKaterina1

Thanks for your answers.
This could be a point of improvement for the next KCC release tho..
Old 07-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #1266
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Nothing really to improve as proper gamma value fully depend on source images. There is no magical way to find value that will look best and additionally it's a matter of taste. You can't preview it on PC as it will look completely different on E-Ink screen.

"Auto" option is just 1.3 value that is proper for most of the content. Kindle Comic Creator is not doing anything gamma wise.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:56 AM   #1267
eKaterina1

Thanks for the explaining reply @AcidWeb
If Auto is just 1.3 (and if I understand correctly, Gamma 1.0 means no Gamma change) why do I have to set Gamma to 0.3 in order for my CBZ to be displayed on the same device (Oasis2) in a way that looks the same (as closely as possible) to KCCreator? Shouldn't be 1.0 the value to use in order to have identical results? (while 1.0 looks way darker)
Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #1268
Ico
Enthusiast
Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW4
Creating a sideloaded comic with 'true' panel detection?

Hey guys. a while back i dabbled with page detection and then came across Kindle Comic Creator. It did the scanning thing but could not be opened since I did not have some original publisher file starting with an o, i think(sorry cant remember file name).
I guess that is a measure to prevent panel view for pirated sideloaded content.
However this comic book is a rarer older one with those older rectangular panels(similar to Watchmen) and panel detection would be a breeze.
I used panel view from the excellent Kindle Comic Converter but it only does panel view by quadrant and panel are too large so it requires extensive panning.
So my question is can true panel view be done on sideloaded content, this comic really deserves it. In addition I would share the name but it received a cult status only in a select few countries, non English based.
Ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:45 AM   #1269
rupan88
rupan88 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, KO3
I'm using the cli version and 1.0 gamma setting results in the same image (at the original one) on PW3.
rupan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #1270
JAIvY
JAIvY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 (7th Generation)
@AcidWeb so you're saying that the process of removing the CDEContentKey via splitting the file and using Java Mobi Metadata Editor is breaking the layout of the chapter?

If there is no work around I suppose I am unfortunately sent back to the drawing board with regards to the content not syncing with my Amazon account.
JAIvY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #1271
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

@Ico - True panel view require manual declaration of every panel.
@JAIvY - Seen your photos. Your process is editing other headers than CDEContentKey file is now in e-book mode not manga mode. There is no ready tools to achive what you want.

I will add option to CLI version to not fill CDEContentKey header. Or drop it completely as it might not be needed anymore.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 08-03-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #1272
JAIvY
JAIvY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 (7th Generation)
@AcidWeb Thank you! That would be very much appreciated.
JAIvY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #1273
Ico
Enthusiast
Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ico knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
@Ico - True panel view require manual declaration of every panel.
Thank You for your reply.
Can You tell me how one might use manual detection. The mentioned comic does not have more than 30 pages, and there are 3 panels max per per page so it wouldn't pose a problem to me.
Ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:13 AM   #1274
tesseractcat
Enthusiast
tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle Voyage
Is there a way to combine or merge the mobi/azw3 (dual mobi?) files outputted by KCC?
tesseractcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #1275
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseractcat View Post
Is there a way to combine or merge the mobi/azw3 (dual mobi?) files outputted by KCC?
Dual mobi should never be combined. The one you don't use can be removed. They already share images so this typically is not duplicated unless they are larger than Mobi can handle.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools