Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #871
Incandenza
Incandenza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I've just successfully jailbroken my Kindle Paperwhite 4 (that came from Amazon with fw 5.12.4 shipped in). Thank you, ilovejedd!
Incandenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #872
Kornison
Kornison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
What tutorial to follow?

Hello all,

I've bought Kindle back in 2018 and have used it unregistered. I guess I've gathered the courage to attempt jailbreak but I do have some questions.

First, specifications:
Kindle Paperwhite 2018 with ads but never registered, never connected to wi-fi so there are no actual ads on the device
Serial: G000 PP07 xxxx xxxx
FW: Kindle 5.10.0.1

I've read as much as I could the last few days but I'm unsure which tutorial to follow. This one or "Open Sesame! (AKA., The New & Improved JailBreak Index)"

Step 1. HERE has factory image for my 5.10.0.1 device
"download factory image...5.10.0.1
The md5sum is Code: 2643277e8316ff412fc748ede22c08c6"

Open Sesame thread mentions only 5.10.1.3 version.
PW4: 5.10.1.3 (MD5: 538d939c2cb4f05c7952d33d5348f010)
Be *very* careful to pick the right file for your device, because failing to do that *will* result in a brick.

Given the grave consequences of making a mistake here I figured I'd ask first. Thanks
Kornison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:44 PM   #873
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornison View Post
Hello all,

I've bought Kindle back in 2018 and have used it unregistered. I guess I've gathered the courage to attempt jailbreak but I do have some questions.

First, specifications:
Kindle Paperwhite 2018 with ads but never registered, never connected to wi-fi so there are no actual ads on the device

I've read as much as I could the last few days but I'm unsure which tutorial to follow. This one or "Open Sesame! (AKA., The New & Improved JailBreak Index)"

Be *very* careful to pick the right file for your device, because failing to do that *will* result in a brick.

Given the grave consequences of making a mistake here I figured I'd ask first. Thanks
You are probably best off to follow the instructions in this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=782

Read carefully, there are multiple ducks to get in a row.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #874
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Hello all,

First, specifications:

As long as you're using a firmware made for PW4, you should be fine. That's primarily why there's a disclaimer on Open Sesame (since it covers multiple models). You definitely don't want to install PW4 firmware on a PW3.

Either version will work on your PW4. 5.10.1.3 is just newer with slightly different layout. Iirc, 5.10.0.1 and 5.10.0.2 have the same layout as 5.9.x for older Kindles. On 5.10.1.3, I think the Aa menu changed (custom styles) and battery now shows %.

The steps are the same both here and on the Open Sesame thread. It's essentially same as: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak with some updates and additions for the KT4.

*Note: Since you're running a very low firmware version, you don't need to PM me for extra help.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-18-2020 at 01:08 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:42 AM   #875
Kornison

Thank you j.p.s and ilovejedd.

I'm just confused about two things.
After running K5 Factory JailBreak (Factory FW) next step is applying K5 JailBreak HotFix. In Snapshots thread version is JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip while in instructions it's 1.15.N. I'm assuming the 1.16.N is simply newer and okay to use where 1.15.N is stated.

What's best to do after applying HotFix?
Open Sesame says
--------
"Do note that leaving your device locked to the "Factory" FW version you used for this process may not be a suitable long-term solution.
Some stuff might break for no apparent reason.
Because of the downgrade restrictions, the least destructive approach would be to switch to the exact same FW version, except the "normal" one. Just go to the Amazon Software Update page for your device, fudge the download URL to point to the version you need, and install that .

As a FW update will wipe everything custom except the JB itself, you can optionally do this as early as right *after* having installed the JB Hotfix if you don't want to have to basically install your hacks twice .
On newer FW versions, we recommend using the "Helper" KUAL extension, which provides a "PREVENT OTA Updates" button that will be a little more zealous than what we did earlier, which should prevent some battery draining caused by a tad aggressive "call home" behavior from those FW versions."

---------
I've only been able to find the latest 5.13.2 on Amazon page which is aggressive and should be downloaded never.

Is the order supposed to be Jailbreak --> HotFix --> Normal FW 5.10.1.3 --> MRPI --> KUAL?

I'm normally not this dense I swear
Old 09-19-2020, 04:44 AM   #876
toxapex
toxapex began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Success on my 5.12.4.
Thank you ilovejedd!
toxapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #877
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After running K5 Factory JailBreak (Factory FW) next step is applying K5 JailBreak HotFix. In Snapshots thread version is JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip while in instructions it's 1.15.N. I'm assuming the 1.16.N is simply newer and okay to use where 1.15.N is stated.

---------

Is the order supposed to be Jailbreak --> HotFix --> Normal FW 5.10.1.3 --> MRPI --> KUAL?
Yep, you want to use the latest KUAL hotfix from the snapshots. Basically, all the stuff you need, just get it from snapshots instead of older links.

----------

Yep. That's the install order you want. Note, you can install all the other add-on packages same time as KUAL. I usually batch copy KUAL, python and screensavers to mrpackages and just run ;log mrpi once.

Here's the link for 5.10.1.3. To get other firmware versions, just change the number to the one you want.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...2_5.10.1.3.bin
Old 09-20-2020, 12:48 AM   #878
Kornison

ilovejedd, thank you for guiding me through this! I did it and everything went perfect!

Now that I'm jailbroken and have update.bin.tmp.partial folder on the device can I safely connect to wi-fi without worrying about unwanted updates?

Also, the Kindle is unregistered and I don't plan on using Amazon. I would like to be connected to GoodReads however, and enable x-ray, reading lists and vocab builder which are locked. Is there a way to do this without going through Amazon registration?

I'm sorry if this is off topic, just point me in the right direction and I'll find my way.

Thank you
Old 09-20-2020, 01:07 AM   #879
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Now that I'm jailbroken and have update.bin.tmp.partial folder on the device can I safely connect to wi-fi without worrying about unwanted updates?
You can but iirc, there's a bug on 5.10.x that may cause faster battery drain with the update.bin.tmp.partial folder blocker. Basically, it can get pretty aggressive phoning the mothership for firmware updates and goes into an update-fail-update loop when it encounters the folder blocker.

Install the KUAL Helper+ add-on and use the Block OTA Update feature to fix the battery drain.

Quote:
Also, the Kindle is unregistered and I don't plan on using Amazon. I would like to be connected to GoodReads however, and enable x-ray, reading lists and vocab builder which are locked. Is there a way to do this without going through Amazon registration?
Try searching this subforum for fake register/fake registration. Never needed to do this so I don't know if it's an effective fix. The only thing I'm missing with unregistered is collections and LibrarianSync handles that fine (easier and more reliable than Cloud Collections, even).
Old 09-21-2020, 06:28 AM   #880
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
I think some of my PW4 ext3 partitions (not the exported /mnt/us) are possibly corrupted?
Is there a way to force it to fsck itself, or do I need to reinstall the current firmware from scratch somehow?

Code:
[root@kindle root]# ls -l /var
total 1
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root            60 Mar 20  2019 cache
drwxrwxr-x    3 root     root            60 Sep 21 09:28 lib
drwxrwxrwt    4 root     root            80 Sep 21 09:28 linkss
drwxrwsr-x   30 ls: /etc/passwd: bad record
framewor javauser      1024 Sep 21 11:21 local
drwsrwsrwt    2 root     javauser       180 Sep 21 09:45 lock
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     javauser       180 Sep 21 11:15 log
drwsrwsrwt    7 root     javauser       900 Sep 21 11:21 run
drwxrwsrwx    5 root     javauser      1000 Sep 21 11:16 tmp
Ahha, should have spotted this invalid entry in /etc/passwd :
Code:
messagebus:x:92:92:messagebus:/bin/false
I did a mntroot rw, and added the missing home directory field and all it well

Last edited by trcm; 09-21-2020 at 06:33 AM. Reason: ha
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:55 AM   #881
Kornison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Try searching this subforum for fake register/fake registration. Never needed to do this so I don't know if it's an effective fix. The only thing I'm missing with unregistered is collections and LibrarianSync handles that fine (easier and more reliable than Cloud Collections, even).
I looked at the fake registration posts and seemed to be working for people, but I haven't found newer stuff dealing with PW4 so for now I'll leave it unregistered.

Just downloaded LibrarianSync and Calibre plugin and am trying to get it to work. Thanks for the suggestion ilovejedd.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #882
ikaruswill
ikaruswill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Hi there. I sent a PM to ilovejedd about the PW4 jailbreak instructions but never got a response yet in 2 weeks. Can I ask for someone who has the instructions to forward it to me perhaps?

Appreciate it!
ikaruswill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #883
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaruswill View Post
Hi there. I sent a PM to ilovejedd about the PW4 jailbreak instructions but never got a response yet in 2 weeks. Can I ask for someone who has the instructions to forward it to me perhaps?

Appreciate it!
Whoops, sorry about that. I missed replying to your PM. Probably read it on my phone or something and forgot to mark it as unread so I would know instructions haven't been sent yet when I got back to the desktop.

Anyway, PM sent.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #884
hupf
hupf began at the beginning.

Device: maybe PW4
Hi all, glad to see there's an active dev community around this device. I was thinking of buying it since it's on sale, I just want to check whether the window for jailbreaking a newly-bought device is still open. Does anyone have any experience jailbreaking a PW4 that was bought from amazon in the past month (or running the latest firmware)?
hupf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #885
hugochip
hugochip began at the beginning.

Device: kindle ppw4
Followed ilovejedd and it works!
Successfully jailbreak my ppw4 (Fw 10.13.2)
hugochip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw4