Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Phyllis A. Whitney!

Looks like, at long last, some of Phyllis A. Whitney's books are going digital, thanks to Open Road!

I noticed that both Amazon and my library's Freading section are showing eight Whitney titles with an e-book release date of July 4, published by Open Road. (Oddly, the Open Road site itself doesn't show the books yet.)

The upcoming titles are:
  • Black Amber
  • The Moonflower
  • Blue Fire
  • Hunter's Green
  • Poinciana
  • Domino
  • Vermilion
  • The Turquoise Mask

Amazon is showing preorder prices of $7.99 apiece.

For those who don't know, Phyllis A. Whitney was one of the masters of romantic suspense, along with Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart. I can't wait!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Hi Catlady. You beat me to posting about this.

I have been wanting to read Phyllis A. Whitney for ages. I love Mary Stewart and Victoria Holt. I have been clicking on 'I want to read this on Kindle' endlessly

Which of the books would you recommend to someone who hasn't read them before? Any particular favourites out of those initially for release?
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My two favorite Phyllis A. Whitney books are Lost Island and Listen for the Whisperer, which unfortunately aren't included. From this batch, I like Hunter's Green and Black Amber.

The locales are always important to the story and well-researched, so I would say just pick a book by whatever setting appeals to you. The vast majority of Whitney's books take place in the U.S., though this selection includes several of the ones that don't (Hunter's Green in England, Black Amber in Turkey, Blue Fire in South Africa, and The Moonflower in Japan). These are all relatively early books, so they are quite dated, but also less formulaic than some of her later works.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Two more batches of Phyllis A. Whitney's books are due out from Open Road--on October 24 and November 28. I think that's the totality of her adult titles, don't know if any of her YA books will be released digitally.