Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #61
Eric Muller
Connoisseur
Eric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolate

Device: Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine GreenTea View Post
So, is hyphenation on T3 a feature that works with any e-book, without the book needing to be "doctored" before?
As long as the book has a proper declaration of the language of the text, and that language is supported (for hyphenation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine GreenTea View Post
Any idea is this works with books in those languages that the T3 has dictionaries of?
I am pretty sure that hyphenation does not use dictionaries, but instead uses a pattern-based system (much like TeX). I would think that at least English, French, German and Spanish are supported, probably more.

Eric.
Eric Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #62
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
The current firmware on my device has no hyphenation at all for any language. It seems they silently removed it. Please anybody confirm this (if you dare to upgrade or may I say 'downgrade'?). I looked a the package. They don't mention hyphenation but it was 'advertised' everywhere on the internet by reviewers and forum users. So I certainly feel ripped off.
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #63
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookp View Post
The current firmware on my device has no hyphenation at all for any language. It seems they silently removed it. Please anybody confirm this (if you dare to upgrade or may I say 'downgrade'?). I looked a the package. They don't mention hyphenation but it was 'advertised' everywhere on the internet by reviewers and forum users. So I certainly feel ripped off.
My hyphenation works with original firmware

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #64
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Yes, but you can download a newer version.
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #65
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookp View Post
Yes, but you can download a newer version.
It is only European I believe. Something to do with the European bookstore?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #66
Jakkal
Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch
I have issue with my T3S. I have couple of books with images and all images are cut off like this -

[Image exceeds guidelines - MODERATOR]

I am downloading my books trough wi-fi from Calibre Content Server. Is there any way to fix the images to show correctly on my Sony?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-14-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Jakkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #67
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Just got my T3S for Christmas. Had to get it from Sony Canada and convince a truly kind MR member (Thanks) to accept shipment and then ship it to me.

I am loving it. The screen is good and I like the hyphenation. I really like the size too. The surface feels better than the T1 which was glossy and slick.

I am of two minds about getting a cover but I probably will.

I hope this is not Sony's last reader.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #68
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I got my T3 with a cover with light, too.

I like it very much.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #69
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
The T3 is elegant --- smaller and lighter than any other 6" reader, yet still seems sturdy and substantial. It's also much quicker doing everything than the 350. I have the standard cover and like the auto on/standby it provides.

A couple of the built-in fonts are OK. I do wish Sony would have provided line spacing and margin adjusting ability, as well as a path to add a couple of my own favorite fonts to the internal list. In lieu of that, I use calibre to format a book before I read it, giving me the exact font and look that I am in the mood for. My fonts are on the sd-card to save space in internal memory.

I like the T3 so much that I have a 2nd one on the way.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #70
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
The T3 is elegant --- smaller and lighter than any other 6" reader,
It's not, I'm afraid.

PRS-T3:
Weight: 200 g
Height: 160 mm
Width: 109 mm
Depth: 11.3 mm

Kobo Aura:
Weight: 174 g
Height: 150 mm
Depth: 8.1 mm
Width: 114 mm

Even the much older Touch is 185 g, the Glo 185 g. And one Kindle tipped the scales at 170 g. (The current Paperwhite is 206.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #71
Jakkal
Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.

Sony PRS-T3S is only 160 g.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #72
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkal View Post
Sony PRS-T3S is only 160 g.
Ah, Phil_C said "T3" But that's the T3S weight without the integrated snap-on cover, isn't it? Can it realistically be used that way?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #73
Jakkal

Of course it can. This is the back of T3S

[Image exceeds guidelines - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-14-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #74
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
I would not own a reader without a cover, so I always consider weight including the cover. Size, too. And width is the most important to me, as that is what allows easy fit in a pocket. The 350 was a perfect size for me. The T3 with cover is even less wide than the 350 with cover. That's because there is no cover overlap on the T3, while there is on the 350.

Also, IMHO the Sonys just look and feel great. With no software glitches.

And I don't have to deal with any silly side lights. (Uh-oh. THAT should get some people wound up! )
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #75
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
I would not own a reader without a cover, so I always consider weight including the cover. Size, too. And width is the most important to me, as that is what allows easy fit in a pocket. The 350 was a perfect size for me. The T3 with cover is even less wide than the 350 with cover. That's because there is no cover overlap on the T3, while there is on the 350.

Also, IMHO the Sonys just look and feel great. With no software glitches.

And I don't have to deal with any silly side lights. (Uh-oh. THAT should get some people wound up! )
The sleekness of the 350 in it's official cover is why it's the only reader I own that lives permanently in its cover. But if it wasn't for its pocket sized nature, I'd never use it after getting a Paperwhite with its silly side lights.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote