Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 12-26-2021, 09:37 PM   #1
kakackling
kakackling began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Likebook Mars stuck on sleep screen

Hi, I bought the Mars about a year and a half ago, and regularly use it. There is no external SD card in it. Suddenly after a night's sleep the Mars cannot be woken up from the sleep screen, though it definitely has battery (because I use it practically everyday, I never let the battery go below thirty percent). I've tried long-pressing the power button for 1 minute, and charging the Mars, but none of it is waking it up. Any ideas what else I can try?

Thank you very much for the help!
kakackling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 03:52 AM   #2
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
How about using the usb cable to connect it to your PC? If the Mars is recognised that may be a way forward. This doesn't sound good though.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2021, 04:43 AM   #3
kakackling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
How about using the usb cable to connect it to your PC? If the Mars is recognised that may be a way forward. This doesn't sound good though.
Hi, thanks for your reply! I've tried connecting it to my PC using the original Mars USB cable. It doesn't come up as a Likebook device in my computer, but I can see an eject option for it: "Eject Rockusb device". So I guess my computer does still register it somewhat, but I'm just not too sure what to do with that.
Old 12-27-2021, 12:07 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakackling View Post
Hi, thanks for your reply! I've tried connecting it to my PC using the original Mars USB cable. It doesn't come up as a Likebook device in my computer, but I can see an eject option for it: "Eject Rockusb device". So I guess my computer does still register it somewhat, but I'm just not too sure what to do with that.
After a minute the power switch is switched off.
Do you have a 2A power supply unit? Then plug him in there and see what he does.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:17 AM   #5
kakackling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
After a minute the power switch is switched off.
Do you have a 2A power supply unit? Then plug him in there and see what he does.
Thanks for your reply! I plugged it into the power supply unit for about 10 hours... still nothing when I press the power button, or press and hold the power button for a minute. It's still frozen on the sleep screen for some reason, not even the power off screen.
Advert
Old 12-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
"Rockusb" means something happens inside your device (ie: is not completely dead). RK3066 can be flashed with RkBatchTool (or RkToolkit if you're in Linux). Try to see if your computer recognizes the device in its current state: http://domoticx.com/firmware-tool-ro...htool-windows/

If that happens you'll need to contact Boyue so they can provide you a flashable image. That should be enough to return your device back to live.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

There are a couple of similar threads but the Mars remained dead. If you get nowhere see if you can buy a new battery. Maybe AliExpress.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #8
kakackling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
"Rockusb" means something happens inside your device (ie: is not completely dead). RK3066 can be flashed with RkBatchTool (or RkToolkit if you're in Linux). Try to see if your computer recognizes the device in its current state: http://domoticx.com/firmware-tool-ro...htool-windows/

If that happens you'll need to contact Boyue so they can provide you a flashable image. That should be enough to return your device back to live.
Thanks for your suggestion! I tried the tool and there is a blue "1" box beneath the "Connected Devices", so I think that means my Mars is detectable. I'll try emailing Boyue (through likebook@boyue.com, which I hope is still their contact email) for a flashable image.

If all that fails I'll try and get a new battery, but somehow it does seem to be more of a software thing (considering it still connects to the PC).
Old 12-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #9
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion! I tried the tool and there is a blue "1" box beneath the "Connected Devices", so I think that means my Mars is detectable. I'll try emailing Boyue (through likebook@boyue.com, which I hope is still their contact email) for a flashable image.

If all that fails I'll try and get a new battery, but somehow it does seem to be more of a software thing (considering it still connects to the PC).
Good to hear!

Don't hold your breath yet. A battery failure is unlikely but an issue with the emmc/nand storage of your device could explain why it got fried without any relevant change from your side.

Anyways, lets hope it gets fixed
Old 12-30-2021, 03:14 AM   #10
bazz2004
Groupie

There's reports that Boyue have ceased production and were bought out by another Chinese company. Lack of adequate customer support was one reason mentioned for their failure so don't expect too much.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:15 AM   #11
kakackling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
There's reports that Boyue have ceased production and were bought out by another Chinese company. Lack of adequate customer support was one reason mentioned for their failure so don't expect too much.
Yes, I've seen it. I can read Chinese and they seem to be gone on their Chinese social media, though oddly their international Facebook and Twitter are still really active. I'll see if they reply; if they don't, the local seller I got my Mars from put me into contact with the local Boyue service centre (I live in Singapore). I'm more reluctant to go this option because I can't find any mention of a Singaporean Boyue service centre online or otherwise...

Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #12
kakackling

Looks like the email works, because they got back to me (not with an .img file tho) but with the same instructions for upgrading to Android 8, and the android tool.

"Here is the rooting FW instruction and tool (Mars) for your reference:
Instruction: https://mega.nz/#!eNYxxARb!-2FQ3jB7O...PP75J_OwK6B7cQ
Tool: https://mega.nz/#!OZJBRQ5b!zTTN1rqgC...YVbDjxAoUbwMN4

Please power off the device or press power button for 10 seconds if device cannot be power off, then start the rooting schedule as the instruction."

For anyone's future reference. Guess I'll try it again, tho I've alr upgraded my Mars last year.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #13
kakackling

Quote:
Looks like the email works, because they got back to me (not with an .img file tho) but with the same instructions for upgrading to Android 8, and the android tool.

"Here is the rooting FW instruction and tool (Mars) for your reference:
Instruction: https://mega.nz/#!eNYxxARb!-2FQ3jB7O...PP75J_OwK6B7cQ
Tool: https://mega.nz/#!OZJBRQ5b!zTTN1rqgC...YVbDjxAoUbwMN4

Please power off the device or press power button for 10 seconds if device cannot be power off, then start the rooting schedule as the instruction."

For anyone's future reference. Guess I'll try it again, tho I've alr upgraded my Mars last year.
Update: Followed the instructions in Boyue's pdf to a T, and for good measure, the Rockchip batch tool to flash (using the Android .img the pdf provided). Both softwares showed "A MASKROM Device is connected" instead of "A LOADER Device", and both ended up in "Test Device Failed". Think it's a hard brick. Gonna take a gamble on that repair service centre then.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:01 AM   #14
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Update: Followed the instructions in Boyue's pdf to a T, and for good measure, the Rockchip batch tool to flash (using the Android .img the pdf provided). Both softwares showed "A MASKROM Device is connected" instead of "A LOADER Device", and both ended up in "Test Device Failed". Think it's a hard brick. Gonna take a gamble on that repair service centre then.
That is bad. It means the bootrom cannot load the 2nd stage bootloader from emmc and suggests your storage is fried. See http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wik...t_into_Rockusb
Old 01-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #15
kakackling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
That is bad. It means the bootrom cannot load the 2nd stage bootloader from emmc and suggests your storage is fried. See http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wik...t_into_Rockusb
Yep Thanks for all your help and explanations! I'll get the Mars to the repair centre, think it's out of my hands.