Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
fulldecent
fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.fulldecent is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Talking Self introduction / Kobo Board mission

Hello room. I'm William Entriken and I'm interested in open source software and have something I want to accomplish with my new Kobo.

My hacking credentials: https://github.com/fulldecent

Mission: Kobo Board

Buy a Kobo Aura Edition 2 and follow my detailed, illustrated step-by-step instructions to set it up and install my software using just a MacBook and charging cable.

Mount it onto your door.

Your Kobo shows your crypto investments, your sales figures, or whatever is important to you. Updates load from a service I host online or your own server.

It runs 24/7 and you only charge the battery monthly.

Work plan

✅ Introduce myself on MobileRead Forums

Tinker
▢ Find how to extract the SD card inside, or otherwise load any software into there
▢ Find how to run that software
▢ Establish development workflow (shell in, files to USB mass storage, RPC, etc.)

Develop
▢ Use FBInk to draw some bitmap image on screen
▢ Use cURL to download some bitmap image from my server
▢ Create some stand-alone process that can download/display on a 15-minute loop
▢ Introduce some low-power/sleep mode for the parts of the 15 minutes where nothing is processing (see kindle-gphotos approach)
▢ Measure battery performance, can it run all month?
▢ (Only if necessary) strip features from binaries/scripts and stop more services to improve performance, contribute features back upstream

Productize
▢ Publish above on GitHub, permissive license
▢ Factory reset my device
▢ Document everything above on GitHub so that the 2021-02-06 version of me (who has never seen an eReader), while drinking heavily, could most efficiently run and contribute to the project
▢ Create project website
▢ Add end-user binaries/other file releases to website
▢ Explain on website, in a way my grandmother could follow, how to take a factory-reset Kobo Aura Edition 2 and have it show the current Bitcoin price, with magically not needing to be plugged in very often

Discussion

If you're interested to follow along, or help, or just wait and use it when it's done… just drop a line here.

I will stay organized. If you know anything I can read related to above (especially the earliest steps) please send along and I'll go through it.
fulldecent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Hi,
Cool project and I look forward to your results!
You can join us on Discord here (https://discord.gg/FTAMN8wP6d) if you want some help, and as the maintainer of the KoBox project I'll probably have some solutions for you if you encounter problems
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, jailbreak, kobo, linux, request