Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
Wipers
Wipers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
PDF to AZW3 convert results in missing words

Hello.

I have a PDF file that uses < > to wrap some words or text (e.g. I casted <Levitation> on the monster). When I try to convert the file to AZW3, however, the words together with the < > symbols get deleted. Is there something I can do to prevent that?

Here are some details that may help.
Windows 10
Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre version 3.46 (64bit)
- Default settings
Wipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
Wipers

Forgot to mention that I've tried the Search and Replace utility but to no avail.

I've inputted the following commands:

Search: '<'
Replace: '.'

Search: '>'
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118605

You do realize (after reading the above) PDF is probably the worst format to use as a source. There are many TYPE SETTING tricks that it uses. Those don't translate well
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipers View Post
Forgot to mention that I've tried the Search and Replace utility but to no avail.

I've inputted the following commands:

Search: '<'

Search: '>'
Which S&R utility are you referring to, the one in bulk metadata edit is for metadata not content, and the one in the editor operates on the output of the conversion, by which stage its too late.

This may help ==>> Problem with conversion (a new one)

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:39 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is a bug in calibre that I introduced about 8 months back. Will be fixed in the next calibre release, i.e. the one after today's release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118605

You do realize (after reading the above) PDF is probably the worst format to use as a source. There are many TYPE SETTING tricks that it uses. Those don't translate well
No. I did not know that PDF was that hard to work with. Thank you for posting the information post.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
Wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Which S&R utility are you referring to, the one in bulk metadata edit is for metadata not content, and the one in the editor operates on the output of the conversion, by which stage its too late.

This may help ==>> Problem with conversion (a new one)

BR
I used the one after you choose Convert books->Convert individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is a bug in calibre that I introduced about 8 months back. Will be fixed in the next calibre release, i.e. the one after today's release.
I see. Thank you for updating me. I look forward to that update!
Old 09-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The fix is released in calibre 3.47.1
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote