Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #526
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrvcjew has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PW3, T80S, T80D, T103D, Ares Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie2019 View Post

Defective Screen
https://ibb.co/VqnKz9m
Ow that does not look good. I forget you did not get yours off amazon prime?
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #527
Bratken
Enthusiast
Bratken doesn't litterBratken doesn't litterBratken doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy1000 View Post
And restart your device from time to time. The crashes leave memory, that can't be unallocated anymore. I just had 950M of RAM left and restarted my device. Now it's back at 1.4GB.
Well, if we had full-featured android on e-readers it would look normal. But as far as readers have stripped down android it's indeed strange.

Also i deleted as much books as i could and left ~10 gigs of material. And continued to work with notes without reading any books on my mimas. Notes crashed 3 times in a row while i've been writing things with same error in crash logs
Code:
SUPPORTED_64_BIT_ABIS=[Ljava.lang.String;@63bba23
versionCode=2
BOARD=rk30sdk
BOOTLOADER=unknown
TYPE=user
ID=MXC89L
TIME=1559565672000
BRAND=Boyue
TAG=Build
SERIAL=IDELETEDMYSERIALNUMBER
HARDWARE=rk30board
SUPPORTED_ABIS=[Ljava.lang.String;@4371b20
CPU_ABI=armeabi-v7a
RADIO=unknown
IS_DEBUGGABLE=false
MANUFACTURER=Boyue
SUPPORTED_32_BIT_ABIS=[Ljava.lang.String;@3313752
TAGS=release-keys
CPU_ABI2=armeabi
UNKNOWN=unknown
USER=builder
FINGERPRINT=Android/rk3368_64/rk3368:6.0.1/MXC89L/builder06032041:user/release-keys
HOST=builder20
PRODUCT=T103D
versionName=1.0
DISPLAY=BYRead-V1.1.0-2019060320
MODEL=Likebook-T103D
DEVICE=T103D
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to allocate a 10513164 byte allocation with 3701152 free bytes and 3MB until OOM
	at dalvik.system.VMRuntime.newNonMovableArray(Native Method)
	at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.nativeDecodeByteArray(Native Method)
	at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.decodeByteArray(BitmapFactory.java:522)
	at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.decodeByteArray(BitmapFactory.java:545)
	at com.by.hw.drawcomponent.IByNote$BitmapDrawItem.getBitmap(Unknown Source)
	at com.by.hw.util.NoteUtil.basciDrawOfNote(Unknown Source)
	at com.by.hw.util.NoteUtil.drawTransactionForStoring(Unknown Source)
	at com.by.hw.util.NoteUtil.convertNoteFileToPng(Unknown Source)
	at com.boyue.app.byreader.byhw.newbyhw.control.NotePageControl$1$1.run(NotePageControl.java:480)
	at com.boyue.app.byreader.byhw.newbyhw.control.secondary.ThreadControl$1.run(ThreadControl.java:38)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1113)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:588)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:818)
Also i noticed that Boyue put "notes", "library" and other features into Airbook OS which is also an application which is also a firmware (i can be wrong but it looks so for me). I'm not a developer but i don't think it's a good idea to put together different feature sets into one entity

Last edited by Bratken; 07-21-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Bratken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #528
Bratken
Enthusiast

Yes, all in one app

Notes
com.boyue.app.byreader/com.boyue.app.byreader.byhw.newbyhw.view.NewNoteEd itActivity

Launcher/Reader
com.boyue.app.byreader/com.boyue.app.byreader.view.activity.MainActivity
Old 07-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #529
Siggy1000
Enthusiast
Siggy1000 doesn't litterSiggy1000 doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratken View Post
Well, if we had full-featured android on e-readers it would look normal. But...
I don't know if you are familiar with the concept of RAM and storage memory. Your error occurs because the system runs out of RAM. So you can't change anything by deleting books or notes from the system. RAM is not occupied by them but instead with the stuff you see right at the moment on the screen. You can only clear RAM by closing all backgroud apps and maybe restarting the device.

In fact, I also experienced the out of memory error on my device. It happens when I copy a complex object in the annotation app.
Siggy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #530
Bratken
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy1000 View Post
I don't know if you are familiar with the concept of RAM and storage memory. Your error occurs because the system runs out of RAM. So you can't change anything by deleting books or notes from the system. RAM is not occupied by them but instead with the stuff you see right at the moment on the screen. You can only clear RAM by closing all backgroud apps and maybe restarting the device.

In fact, I also experienced the out of memory error on my device. It happens when I copy a complex object in the annotation app.
'Byreader' app might scan for supported files in background while you're on the home screen, i don't know. This is where memory leak can happen. You can find dedicated directory with thumbnails. But i can only presume that. Need more statistics on behavior with lots of books. I will test it today.
One thing i know for sure that if you try to open 'Books' section with tons of books it will hang the launcher. But this is one problem. Notes crash is another problem. Haven't experienced it on march update.

So, overall, i encountered 2 problems with june update:
1) Navigating to home screen is slower with many books comparing to march update. Launcher often hangs up
2) Notes can crash sometimes
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #531
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
ugh, I've just caught up since my last read here on page 30. Discouraging. I'm not doing the June update, that's for sure. Truth is, I'm barely using the Mimas, printing out what I need to read (paper waste!!) and then entering the annotations on the Windows PDF (time waste!!) I miss my 1st gen Sony!

Personally, I'm waiting for the 3rd edition of the Sony to see what they come out with. I am heavy into PDF's and take alot of notes on them and there is nothing on the market that meets my needs fully, nothing. Sony has been doing PDF software correctly for years so the technology is available. Either Boyue is not allocating their employees the time to develop fully functioning software, or their employees are not smart enough to implement a solution. Lastly, the battery life is not great. The OS should have an easy selection for battery optimization stifling the Android OS battery drain and improving the devices battery life.

At this point, sadly, I think it's safe to say Boyue is not a good, nor correctly-focused company. The employees and management are more focused on money then product and customer support. I make this judgement based on Boyue's actions, what they've done.
I will not buy another Boyue and they do not deserve my loyalty.

Anyone working on a ROM solution to completely wipe the OS and start from scratch?

Phil

Last edited by mrpotts; 07-21-2019 at 09:11 PM.
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:54 AM   #532
gunnm
Enthusiast
gunnm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW(2018), Boyue T103D.
Anyone knows if it's posible to use a bluetooth controler to turn the pages? Specially in reading PDFs.
Does moonreader+ fully function in this device? I mean, does it work the plugin to read PDFs?
gunnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:48 AM   #533
Bratken
Enthusiast

Lightbulb You gonna eat all this RAM?

So what i've got.
Briefly:
It's not RAM when it comes to slow launcher.
But might be RAM indeed when it comes to 'Notes' (BTW, we have 500 mb swap).

1) Launcher really got slower and sometimes stopped responding when navigating 'Home'
Put 1500+ books (PDF, DOC mostly) on SD card (60+ gigs)
Wait for thumbnails to appear. Reboot just in case.
Open few books in a row.
At first it was steady... slower, but steady. But then when i press 'Home' button or try to navigate between 'Home', 'Books' or 'Notes' it just hangs. Sometimes it says AIRBOOK OS is not responding. At this moment ram usage didn't even hit 1 gig.
What's stranger is that after i removed all those books and rebooted device, launcher still was slow. So i had to do a factory reset. Put back 150 books and it's good so far.

2) Notes have indeed strange memory management.
As people mentioned earlier, complex editing can cause this crash:
Code:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to allocate a 10513164 byte allocation with 5906120 free bytes and 5MB until OOM
	at com.boyue.app.byreader.byhw.newbyhw.control.NotePageControl$1$1.run(NotePageControl.java:480)
	at com.boyue.app.byreader.byhw.newbyhw.control.secondary.ThreadControl$1.run(ThreadControl.java:38)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1113)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:588)
So what i did to get this:
Had 17 page notes
Edit one page: erase something, move some parts
Without saving go to another page and make some changes too
Then move back to previously edited page.
Changes i did first weren't applied. Then crash occured

I don't know how to check on memory usage in real-time so i used htop in Termux
1) I had 1.22 gb allocated before editing
2) Opened 'Notes' selected random part and moved it across the page
3) Checked on htop: RAM usage started to raise and went up to 1.32 gb then it dropped to 1.17 gb
100 megs of RAM on such change is little too much i think
Old 07-25-2019, 03:51 AM   #534
Bratken
Enthusiast

Yes, memory leak while switching between pages of notes.
Checked it with linux
Code:
watch -n 0.1 adb shell cat /proc/meminfo
While observing MemFree field:
i got ~120 mb free. Virtual memory but still related. Actually 500-700 megs were free.
Every page turn takes temporarily 30-40 megs of RAM:
So it goes 120 —> 70-80 —> 120 mb
After trying to reproduce case as described in my previous post, app just got out of memory: MemFree went from 120 to 0. Crashed then freed 300 mb of RAM, so MemFree became 350-400 mb.

Now with all that information we can send bugreport to Boyue

Also we should compare behavior with and without Google Mobile Services/Framework. I'm getting this crash while having GMS/GMF installed. Still, it shouldn't be so because i had unused 500 mb swap and 500 mb of free ram.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #535
pantale
pantale began at the beginning.

New update available today.
Hope it will fix the bugs.
pantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #536
Bratken
Enthusiast

Lightbulb

And changelog says something about notes crash.
But download was slow.

P.S:
I wonder if we can use BYReader's apk? I mean people asked if we're able to downgrade.
So i did
Code:
adb shell pm path com.boyue.app.byreader
to check on apk's path
got /system/app/Boyue-Launcher.apk
Then i said
Code:
adb pull /system/app/Boyue-Launcher.apk
and got apk of BYRead-V1.1.0-2019060320
now you can test it... probably
UPD: no, you can't. Tried to install it on my phone. Boyue signed launcher app for Boyue devices only
Code:
adb: failed to install Boyue-Launcher.apk: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE: Package couldn't be installed in /data/app/com.boyue.app.byreader-d5Wo8VWpp2Blq8YM4kFbYA==: Package com.boyue.app.byreader has no signatures that match those in shared user android.uid.system; ignoring!]
Probably APK needs some kind of tweaking to be installed on other devices. I'm not dev so i can only suppose that.
Also you can't install in /system. So no re-installation from ADB on Mimas. Only if you have root permission

Last edited by Bratken; 07-26-2019 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Tried BYReader apk
Old 07-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #537
Bratken
Enthusiast

- Memory leak while using notes still in present. Switch between pages and eventually you'll get that crash. By the way, tracebacks are different this time (sorry for long post)
It may look like this
Code:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to allocate a 10513164 byte allocation with 6676544 free bytes and 6MB until OOM
	at android.graphics.Bitmap.nativeCreate(Native Method)
	at android.graphics.Bitmap.createBitmap(Bitmap.java:835)
	at android.graphics.Bitmap.createBitmap(Bitmap.java:812)
	at android.graphics.Bitmap.createBitmap(Bitmap.java:775)
	at com.by.hw.util.CommonUtil.createAshemBitmap(CommonUtil.java:38)
	at com.by.hw.drawcomponent.MainDrawView$c.a(MainDrawView.java:3446)
	at com.by.hw.drawcomponent.MainDrawView$c.a(MainDrawView.java:3563)
	at com.by.hw.drawcomponent.MainDrawView$c.handleMessage(MainDrawView.java:3518)
	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:148)
	at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61)
And this (same as on june update)
Code:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to allocate a 10513164 byte allocation with 3977640 free bytes and 3MB until OOM
my favorite
Code:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: OutOfMemoryError thrown while trying to throw OutOfMemoryError; no stack trace available
- Got new bug:
1) Write something (make 5 strokes or something like that)
2) Immediately tap on 3 dots
Things you just wrote would disappear. Or part of it
Sometimes words get on another words while you write. Probably related to convertion into PNG.
Clearly visible when there're other apps on background. I launched VK and Telegram, tried to write down some notes and, oh boy, i saw things...

- Erase of any selected area is slow and sometimes can take 5 seconds... sometimes it does nothing at all
- When you choose tool (erase, pen, move etc etc) button highlight is visible only in A2 mode

Totally need retest without Google Services installed. I'm getting all this with GMS

Last edited by Bratken; 07-26-2019 at 04:34 AM. Reason: added "- Memory leak while using notes is still here" and crash traceback
Old 07-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #538
josebla
josebla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite PW2 & Likebook Mimas (T103D) 10.3 inch''
Hello all,
I have just upgraded to yesterday's firmware. By now, I see a big and important improvement: you can open a pdf document, write some things inside, then export as a new pdf that includes your annotations (before upgrade, you could just export to an HTML page with pgn images inside). To me this seems a really useful and needed function.

Bye.
josebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #539
jask
jask began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josebla View Post
Hello all,
I have just upgraded to yesterday's firmware. By now, I see a big and important improvement: you can open a pdf document, write some things inside, then export as a new pdf that includes your annotations (before upgrade, you could just export to an HTML page with pgn images inside). To me this seems a really useful and needed function.

Bye.
I just tested the update and finally it just works, the line thickness seems about the same in the app and the exported pdf, we get constant thickness in the pdf but I can live with that. I hope sometime in the future we get to chose the color of the annotations (red would be useful for grading papers).
I had a bug where G Drive didn't show up in the app list and it is taken care of, hopefully other bugs are too.
jask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #540
gunnm
Enthusiast
gunnm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW(2018), Boyue T103D.
Did all of you get the cover case together with the ereader? I bought mine in rakuten and it came only with the screen protector and the wacon pen.
gunnm is offline   Reply With Quote