Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Jane Austen Pastiches [?]

Can anyone recommend two or three titles written in the style of Jane Austen?

I've been reading through this blog here

https://austenprose.com/jane-austen-...d-sensibility/

but I would like some personal, subjective opinions from some readers of Mobileread.

-- Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe I better return to zombies. (That's why I always carry a tube of toothpaste with me. You never can tell who you're going to meet.)

In fact, I just started reading a 'Jane Austen zombie book'.
Advert
Old 12-09-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

"Hold the biscuits, Mabel, and come out of the kitchen!" (Mis-quoted from Dan Rather.)

I MEANT a vampire Jane Austen novel, NOT a zombie Jane Austen.

OK, Mabel, you can go back into the kitchen.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Mary Robinette Kowal's series Glamourist Histories, five books starting with "Shades of Milk and Honey". It's regency with magic, but the magic isn't dramatic or violent, it's (mostly) a gentle, ladylike magic of light, sound, and scents.

Quote:
The Ellsworths of Long Parkmead had the regard of their neighbours in every respect. The Honourable Charles Ellsworth, though a second son, through the generosity of his father had been entrusted with an estate in the neighbourhood of Dorchester. It was well appointed and used only enough glamour to enhance its natural grace, without overlaying so much illusion as to be tasteless. His only regret, for the estate was a fine one, was that it was entailed, and as he had only two daughters, his elder brother’s son stood next in line to inherit it. Knowing that, he took pains to set aside some of his income each annum for the provision of his daughters. The sum was not so large as he wished it might be, but he hoped it would prove enough to attract appropriate husbands for his daughters. Of his younger daughter, Melody, he had no concerns, for she had a face made for fortune. His older daughter, Jane, made up for her deficit of beauty with rare taste and talent in the womanly arts. Her skill with glamour, music, and painting was surpassed by none in their neighbourhood and together lent their home the appearance of wealth far beyond their means. But he knew well how fickle young men’s hearts were.
She has also written about her research for the novels, on everything from language to clothes to how to cross a street without getting too dirty.

And a lot less Austen-like, but still clearly influenced by her: Bridget Jones' diaries. There are several nods to Austen through the books. I really loved a scene in (I think) the second book, where (minor spoiler for both this book and one of Austen's):
Spoiler:
There's a parallel to the scene in "Persuasion" where Anne talks with captain Harville, and says: "All the privilege I claim for my own sex (it is not a very enviable one, you need not covet it) is that of loving longest, when existence or when hope is gone."
Bridget's version is (quoted from memory): "You know, it's hard to get a bloke out of your mind when he buggers off."

Avoid PD James' "Death comes to Pemberly". I hated it. None of the characters seemed true to the originals, and I got the impression that James disliked both Austen and her characters.

I hope you get more recommendations, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Elizabeth I have forgotten her last name writes Jane Austen style books.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Avoid PD James' "Death comes to Pemberly". I hated it. None of the characters seemed true to the originals, and I got the impression that James disliked both Austen and her characters.
Comrade! I loathed that book.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[...] Avoid PD James' "Death comes to Pemberly". I hated it. None of the characters seemed true to the originals, and I got the impression that James disliked both Austen and her characters. [...]
Ditto. The only time it sounded like Jane Austen was in the direct quotes. The fact that the plot lacked any surprise value didn't help. Curiously, the mini-series was better, though still unsurprising. While I still didn't like what they did (or in some cases, didn't do) to many of the characters, at least in the mini-series they came across a bit more self-consistent by the end (the last part is what made the difference).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Mary Robinette Kowal's series Glamourist Histories, five books starting with "Shades of Milk and Honey". It's regency with magic, but the magic isn't dramatic or violent, it's (mostly) a gentle, ladylike magic of light, sound, and scents.

She has also written about her research for the novels, on everything from language to clothes to how to cross a street without getting too dirty.

And a lot less Austen-like, but still clearly influenced by her: Bridget Jones' diaries. There are several nods to Austen through the books. I really loved a scene in (I think) the second book, where (minor spoiler for both this book and one of Austen's):
Spoiler:
There's a parallel to the scene in "Persuasion" where Anne talks with captain Harville, and says: "All the privilege I claim for my own sex (it is not a very enviable one, you need not covet it) is that of loving longest, when existence or when hope is gone."
Bridget's version is (quoted from memory): "You know, it's hard to get a bloke out of your mind when he buggers off."

I hope you get more recommendations, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

I'll have to check out Mary Robinette Kowal's work.

It sounds interesting, and it's a series I was not aware of.

--- Thank you!

About how to cross a street without getting dirty --- Funny! I've seen plenty of Bonanaza episodes and I've even learned a bit from Marshall Dillon [Gunsmoke].

You take off your most expensive clothing and toss it onto the mud and then help her down from the carriage, not realizing that the mud puddle is actually a HOLE full of muddy water.

Isn't that how it goes, according to the silent films?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-10-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:20 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Elizabeth Ann West.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
P.D. James wrote a mystery novel using the Pride and Prejudice setting, Death Comes to Pemberley.
Edit: But I see someone has already warned you off that one.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote