Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Content Server running on Android box?

I'm running Calibre with content server enabled on my netbook for quite some time; and it's great that I can get my ebooks from anywhere outside my home.

Just recently, I see a number of Android TV box which run Froyo and connect to LCD via hdmi cable. It is actually an Android device designed to sit near a TV. Here is some of the product I'm looking at:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html

Apart from using this box to make my LCD TV become a SmartTV, I intend to use it as a 24-hr torrent machine, and if possible, also run Calibre content server on it. Off course, I need to plug an external HDD for keeping all my ebooks (in thousands now). I believe it is more energy efficient than my netbook.

Any idea how to run Calibre content server on Android OS?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
To get the Calibre Content server running you would need to have ported Calibre and all its dependencies to Android on ARM architecture which is a none-trivial task (although theoretically possible).

You might be better off using calibre2opds to deliver the content in such a scenario as all it needs running is a web server (which I would guess is already available?).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 04:16 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you have a web server that supports PHP and SQLite, then you could use the calibre/php content server described in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104188

Edit: itimpi's suggestion will be easier to set up. Both solutions require that you deal with the sync problem.

Last edited by chaley; 08-04-2011 at 04:19 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks a lot for all your replies, let me try with calibre2opds route because my content are rather fixed and less movement.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote