Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2021, 03:43 AM   #1
cipi65
cipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Model No. DP75SDI

Hi,

In first place, I want to ask what Kindle model is this ? I did't find DP75SDI in any list.
Inside looks like an PW2 but with SIM slot.
Problem is ( I think ) with the firmware because when I turn on, the backlight lit and kindle startup page blinks time to time.
I try to reset, holding the power button for more than 5 minutes. When I hold the power button for reset the LED blinks orange, 5 times.
I left to charge more than 24 hours, and I verify the battery voltage, and is ok.
I have usb to serial interface ( TIAO USB ) but I did't find any firmware for this model.

Any advice would be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCB.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	188311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	752.6 KB
ID:	188312   Click image for larger version

Name:	MODEL.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	188313  
cipi65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I believe that's a PW3.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3; Kindle Voyage
It's kindle paperwhite 6th (2nd generation)
Dra_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #4
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipi65 View Post
In first place, I want to ask what Kindle model is this ? I did't find DP75SDI in any list.
It's somewhat confusing to judge by the model number on the back as both PW2 and PW3 models are DP75SDI, but the PCBID prefix corresponds with this boardid within the u-boot sources:
Code:
#define BOARD_ID_PINOT_2GB                  "02F"
This identifies it as a PW2 with 3G.

Quote:
Problem is ( I think ) with the firmware because when I turn on, the backlight lit and kindle startup page blinks time to time.
The device sounds like it's bootlooping - IIRC U-Boot and Linux both have almost identical splash screens and the blinking probably indicates a transition between the 2.

Quote:
I have usb to serial interface ( TIAO USB ) but I did't find any firmware for this model.
You can grab the firmware you need from here: https://www.amazon.com/update_Kindle_Paperwhite_6th_Gen.

I'm not sure if your usb-serial interface is suitable for this - if not, basic CH340, CP2102 and FT232RL based boards are available for relatively cheap on most online marketplaces.

As for actually fixing this, I'd reinstall the firmware from scratch. Assuming there's no issues with the eMMC storage, you should be able to enter the recovery menu by pressing [Enter] at the prompt after the kernel boots. You'll get a menu similar to this:
Code:
Menu
====
3. Load MMC over USB storage
E. Export FAT partition
U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition
D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.
Q. quit
Export the FAT partition, load the firmware image to the Kindle then exit the menu and either select the Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition option or reboot the device. Both of these will begin installation of the update.

I'm curious about that switch on the RESET pad - was this fitted when you received the device and is it functional when you press it? I've never seen that pad populated before
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:28 AM   #5
cipi65
cipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheesecipi65 can extract oil from cheese

Many thanks for your answer.

I'm not sure if your usb-serial interface is suitable for this - if not, basic CH340, CP2102 and FT232RL based boards are available for relatively cheap on most online marketplaces.

My problem with the adapters is what model work, and is easier to configure for 1.8V.

I'm curious about that switch on the RESET pad - was this fitted when you received the device and is it functional when you press it? I've never seen that pad populated before [/QUOTE]

The RESET button is my work . I tried also to reset using this button.
Advert
Old 07-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #6
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
My problem with the adapters is what model work, and is easier to configure for 1.8V.
Any of the adapters using the chips I listed above will work - modern Kindles seem to be 3.3v tolerant if only RX+TX are connected (there's a bunch of reports of this in the serial jailbreak thread and I've also had a few 3.3v adapters permanently attached to my test devices for about a year now without any problems).
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
cipi65

Smile Happy ending

As for actually fixing this, I'd reinstall the firmware from scratch. Assuming there's no issues with the eMMC storage, you should be able to enter the recovery menu by pressing [Enter] at the prompt after the kernel boots. You'll get a menu similar to this:
Code:
Menu
====
3. Load MMC over USB storage
E. Export FAT partition
U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition
D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.
Q. quit
Export the FAT partition, load the firmware image to the Kindle then exit the menu and either select the Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition option or reboot the device. Both of these will begin installation of the update.

Finally I bought an USB interface, with FT232RL and I had time to the job.
The interface is with 3,3V and 5V jumper but I disconnect the jumper and I connect the supply pin from an external 1,8V power supply.
It was a little tricky because it was first time when I do this.
Using minicom, I put KINDLE in recovery, and after I transfer the bin file. First time, I got a message that it's not enough space, but I copy and after delete the books and everything was ok.

Many thanks for your help.