Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2021, 12:49 PM   #211
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I don't recall anything of the sort, FWIW, at least on meaningful devices (e.g., might have been a KT3 or KT4 quirk at one point, but that's all that vaguely rings a bell).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #212
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
Yes. I’ve seen it. But the experts in these forums I’ve seen multiple times recently say that the recent firmwares prevent downgrading. So far the research I’ve done suggests only opening up the kindle and taking a hardware approach works. Which is beyond my skill set.
I was able to downgrade my Voyage from 5.13.3 to 5.10.3 (I don't like the new Aa menu) after I jail broke. The steps aren't as scary as what's in the op of that thread. I just had to install coward's rescue pack, boot into diagnosis (restarting while USB cable is connected to PC). Used the USB upload option (I don't remember what it's called exactly). This puts the Kindle into USB storage mode. Then I just followed the prompt to copy the firmware I had downloaded (update_xxxxxxx5.10.3.xxx.bin) into root folder (/mnt/us) and restarted.

Caveat: this may not work for other devices / firmware version

Note: if all you want is to block update, look in this forum for a thread about blocking updates by renaming ota files. There's a handy kual extension down the thread that does the work for you.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2021, 04:12 PM   #213
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's... interesting. I don't quite remember the details, but, yeah, having the debug flag present *may* trick some kernels into allowing downgrades.

Note that the FW itself does *NOT* handle downgrades, so, expect shit to break in fun and interesting ways if you don't factory reset after (or similarly ensure that you don't carry "newer" old dbs & settings around manually).

In the same vein, there's the big brass balls approach of flashing stuff manually in a diags shell.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:39 PM   #214
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I was able to downgrade my Voyage from 5.13.3 to 5.10.3
Caveat: this may not work for other devices / firmware version.
Thanks for a recent verification that this method works. Well done. When I have time away from other duties and the mental wherewithal I’ll take a closer look at this method.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:37 AM   #215
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
This feature (as usual update, not from diags) has been enabled/disabled periodically
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=288836&page=3
Haven't tried on the recent firmwares.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2021, 11:09 AM   #216
6502 began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
FW 5.13.5

Firstly, thank you to all those involved in PW4 jailbreak. I can now organise my PW4 the way Amazon should have enabled in the first place.

I could use Calibe Collections aftre jailbreakon my old Kindle but not with my new PW4 until the 5.13.3 jailbreak. However Amazon soon put an end to that with the 5.13.5 update despite my attempts to prevent this and no longer could I organise my collection.

Hoping that the original jailbreak was valid I have managed to install an earlier 5.10.0.2_factory.bin from an earlier jailbreak thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312489) which then allowed me to repeat the 5.13.5 jailbreak again.

I'm now running 5.11.2 with KUAL and librariansync. All I need now is a better way to avoid OTA updates.
6502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #217
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6502 View Post
I'm now running 5.11.2 with KUAL and librariansync. All I need now is a better way to avoid OTA updates.
Have you considered this?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25

Also there may be some less drastic ways for 5.11.x such as the update blocker directory, but I don't remember where that stops working.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #218
Bafik
Bafik began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Hello everyone,

Recently bought a sage PW4, PQ94WIF, G0016V, came with 5.12.5

Followed the steps from the first page and jailbroke the device, but can't install the "customer" 5.10.1.3 or 5.10.3 - the device says that the update file is invalid

Browsed through the past pages but no one seemed to have a similar error. Tried to repeat the steps, and diags, factory and jailbreak steps went fine, but the same error again when trying to install a "customer firmware"

Would greatly appreciate your help!
Bafik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #219
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafik View Post
Recently bought a sage PW4, PQ94WIF, G0016V, came with 5.12.5

Followed the steps from the first page and jailbroke the device, but can't install the "customer" 5.10.1.3 or 5.10.3 - the device says that the update file is invalid

Browsed through the past pages but no one seemed to have a similar error. Tried to repeat the steps, and diags, factory and jailbreak steps went fine, but the same error again when trying to install a "customer firmware"
Iirc, the color PW4s were released later and require customer 5.11.x or newer. Can't remember the exact version they started being supported.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #220
Bafik
Bafik began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 4
5.11.2 worked, thank you!
Bafik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #221
eddington
eddington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Got it to work!
Haha screw you Amazon.
You don't get to sell me a $100+ device with minimal functionality and not expect me to jailbreak it.
eddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:32 PM   #222
thoriki
thoriki began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 7th, and 10th
Hi, have one new pw4 with fw 5.12.4 in step 5 of this tutorial say download fw 5.10.1.3. with my fw (5.12.4) can use link of step 5 (fw 5.10.1.3) this downgrade my pw4 to can jb, or no is compatible with my fw and get brick ?
thoriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #223
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
We have a newer JB method that doesn't require downgrade and works with almost all models.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338268
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #224
mike745
mike745 began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Hi,

can you help me?
PW4 with 5.10.2.
Where is it possible to download the 5.10.3?

Thanks
mike745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:43 AM   #225
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike745 View Post
Hi,

can you help me?
PW4 with 5.10.2.
Where is it possible to download the 5.10.3?

Thanks
From https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338268

Use this link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow..._v2_5.10.3.bin
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw4 jailbreak