Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #46
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
If you look up to the first post on this page you'll find Good E Reader's "source" that they have decided to attribute to Hisense. Six months makes sense for a hack, it would take no time if Hisense were doing it themselves.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #47
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
That's funny if it's true cartz!

So what you're saying is that me writing that CECT shop said in the comments that it would take 6 months to get Google Play Services, if they decided to go for it, has morphed into:

Hisense did reply to a customers comment in their website and said that they are looking at a possible feature firmware update that will give Google Play, not only to this phone, but all of their devices running Android 9.0, but it will take around six months of testing.

After reading that I actually checked the Hisense website, to see if there were any such information there, but alas, they didn't have a comment section.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #48
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

On top of that, CECT shop is also decidedly vague on whether someone buying a phone running Android 9 will in the future get a Google Play Services firmware update, if CECT shop decides to make such a version. I think they're decidedly vague because the answer is a definite no.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:15 AM   #49
kova4a
kova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Did anyone else see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdruTt3Otkc? Around the 6:40 mark they enter the phone's app store and google play store is actually available there.
kova4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:53 AM   #50
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
[...], CECT shop is also decidedly vague on whether someone buying a phone running Android 9 will in the future get a Google Play Services firmware update, if CECT shop decides to make such a version. [...]
CECT-Shop is just a reseller and doesn't "make" any version. They offered the A5 with an international ROM because some other supplier provided them with a hacked version of the A5. That's all.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #51
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
CECT-Shop is just a reseller and doesn't "make" any version. They offered the A5 with an international ROM because some other supplier provided them with a hacked version of the A5. That's all.
I know.

So when a CECT shop customer asks:
If an international firmware like the A5 becomes available, will previously purchased A5 Pro CC's be able to change to it?

Then CECT shop should say sorry mac. But instead they're vague, answering this:
Hello Mike, thank you for your message and inquiry about the HiSense A5 Pro CC with Color Ink screen. That depends! The HiSense A5 Pro CC is not available yet and it also took nearly half a year until the multi-language firmware version for the HiSense A5 was available. Also, until now, we are not in possession of the ROM and are charged for every single phone by the supplier. Thank you and see you soon, your CECT-Shop team - Since 2006.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #52
elhnad
elhnad began at the beginning.

Device: prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
Appreciated, Dave. I wrote to CECT shop now, asking if they think they'd manage to make a Google Play Services version. That'd be something special, but they'll prolly not reply.

UPDATE. Someone beat me to it. They've answered five questions, three of which on whether they'll make a version with Google Play Services (found in the tab Customer Questions & Answers). The answers are for the pro model, but it's safe to say their answers are prolly the same for all models: It took 6 months to make a Hisense A5 with Google Play Services, so ... it would take time.

So unless I can live with no Google Play, I'll have to settle for a Hisense A5 or maybe I'll get the upcoming Onyx Boox phone, but it has no colors though.
what apps or services wouldn't you be able to get via something like f-droid? im a beginner to this but that's what i hear ppl using
elhnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #53
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhnad View Post
what apps or services wouldn't you be able to get via something like f-droid? im a beginner to this but that's what i hear ppl using
I have two devices:
• A productivity device for studies
• An exercise and communication device

A snappy fast color e-ink phone could fill either role. But ...

For my productivity device I need these apps:
• AnkiDroid
• YouTube
• Listen Audiobook Player
• FBReader
• Quizlet
• Docs To Go
• Dropbox
• Dropsync
• Gmail
• Chrome
• EchoHacks
• Super Sound
• Camera

The problem. YouTube. I don't know if it loads. It doesn't matter if it's somewhat laggy, as long as there's colors. Dropsync, I don't know if it loads. EchoHacks, I know that it doesn't load, as it doesn't on Android nine and above.

For my exercise and communication device I need these apps:
• Deezer music app
• Nike Run Club
• Zombies, Run! (yeah!)
• Polar Beat
• Myfitnesspal
• GymRun
• Chrome for browsing boards like these
• Facebook Messenger
• Snapchat
• SMS messages
• Calling
• Easy Voice Recorder
• Docs to Go
• AnkiDroid
• Quizlet
• Gmail
• Dropbox
• Dropsync
• A decent camera

The problem. Many services require Google Play Services framework. So even if you copy from F-Droid or UpToDown or use your old backups, you can't run the apps. It's pretty much like a computer lacking NET framework can't run certain programs. You can read about it here. To keep in touch with friends, I'd need Snapchat. But it won't run without Google Play Services. Could very well be that's the case with the other mentioned apps as well, though I haven't checked.

As it looks now, I could get the upcoming Onyx Boox Phone to serve as the new exercise and communication device. But I'd have to live with monochrome Chrome (fine!), monochrome Snapchat (not fine!). But if the Onyx Boox Phone was released, I think I'd buy one, and just have Snapchat on my productivity device, even though that would entail interruptions.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #54
elhnad
elhnad began at the beginning.

Device: prs t1
so basically you just have to try an app and if it doesn't work, it's possible to probable that it needed play services
elhnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #55
Yoko22
Yoko22 began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A5C
call home

I saw some guys talking about calling home and spying software on the A5 thread, one guy said that phones which target Chinese territory often have spying software or the likes. Those things seems clearly visible from guys who program or hack android device. I wonder who does more spying though, the Chinese or the US/Europe countries. While the Chinese spying stuff seems clearly visible to programmers I wonder if what we have currently in our smartphone or computer isn't worse but less visible. I see a lot of guys who points finger at the Chinese but not many have a deeper understanding of each countries, (why things are the way they are), and that's because most official media are censored to different degrees. If you think the USA or Europe countries aren't censored you are clearly blind in my opinion. What kind of censored is used though, that is hard to say if you haven't studied each country. I tend to think our censorship (west) is less heavy than the Chinese but that is a wild guess as I don't speak any Chinese so I don't have much experience with them.

I haven't read much about that but I have seen a few articles saying that Intel chips has integrated hardware function dedicated specifically to spying to a degree that they can even take complete ownership of the device remotely. I think it was on the Richard Stallman website that I seen that mentioned first but I haven't checked if any of this was true and I don't have time for it either. A few other source also confirmed at least the possibility that chip manufacturer actually does implement spying software. I once heard the US was specifically annoyed by that since most things are build in China.

So I wanted to know if any guys here know about this kind of spying. Because from what I have read this kind is not detectable from the OS as it is hidden inside the hardware.
Also since the pro version comes with the less known processor, I wonder who manufacture that one.

All of this is so complicated and take so much time that I personally don't try anymore to prevent any spying activity unless it is easily done. I certainly don't want to end up like Richard Stallman who use a "15 years old" computer with an OS that is even less practical than Debian. I use windows and many think it has a lot of spying inside that stuff. Linux is too much of an hassle though sometimes I spend a few year on it but when I come back on Windows it is way easier and faster to get things to work, So sometimes you simply cannot do and don't have the time to mess with that.

On smartphone the situation seem even worse than windows, so I'm not even trying anymore. Maybe someone who spend a lot of times developing software can hope to achieve or can pretend to use an hardware without any backdoor.

One of the few good things about that worldwide spying is that to is use spied data from those huge database is supposedly very hard to do on a large scale population, and the data is probably often inaccurate.

Back the main topic of this thread:
If anyone have the new A5C or CC can you provide a good review about it ?
Yoko22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:15 AM   #56
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Full review from good e reader is online

looks very promising,
unfortunately they don't say anything about screen protection, guess that's not gorilla glass but just plastic
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #57
Yoko22

"Full review", his full review is so minimal that I would call that an unboxing or a preview. At least we saw a bit of the device but how much did he said in that review, and much did he keep for himself because otherwise some might not buy on his website afterward.
I wonder if the reading of text on that device is as good as the monochrome one.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #58
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko22 View Post
At least we saw a bit of the device but how much did he said in that review, and much did he keep for himself because otherwise some might not buy on his website afterward.

I don't think that was his intention

In the end, it's just another Android phone. Regarding the color e-ink screen, that cannot be demonstrated properly in a video anyway.
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #59
Yoko22

Even if he can't demonstrate in the video, he can still say it, like: "I have compared the A5 with the A5C and it seems the reading on the A5 felt smoother and easier"

Also there is something I don't understand, why the A5 pro CC is the same price as the normal model, isn't the pro version supposed to better equipped?
https://www.cect-shop.com/en/smartph...ufacturer=1430
There is a $70 difference between the A5 and A5 pro but not for the color version.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:37 PM   #60
Tar
Tar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watch

Device: none
A5 Pro Color is not for sale yet.

The price is likely a placeholder one.

I would expect it to change when the A5 Pro color is actually released.
Tar is offline   Reply With Quote