Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2021, 05:58 AM   #46
matko
Enthusiast
matko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
Hello,

that's ok for me.
Running 5.12.4 on a KOA3 (G000WL). Used KindleBreak method (+ jbhotfix + kual + misc mrpackages + koreader)
I applied the renameOTAbin procedure manually and rebooted. I did not create a "update.bin.tmp.partial" dir.
When I turned on wifi for the first time, I registered my device on Amazon account without issue.
No automatic OTA attemps.

Now, I use wifi only with Koreader Calibre's extension to send/synchronize ebooks and go back to airplane mode after by security.

Thanks you for this procedure.
matko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #47
principle
principle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle kt4, Kobo Clara HD
Working for me so far

Kindle kt4 G090VB running 5.13.2 wireless active for long periods of time while in koreader no updates downloaded so far.

I used the script to rename the OTA binares

So far so good thanks
principle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:43 AM   #48
lrpirlet
Connoisseur
lrpirlet began at the beginning.

Location: Belgium (sorry, I am from the Walloon side of the country and I speak french only)
Device: PW3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamzone View Post
Hello !

In fact, before i use Wifi for the first time, someone can explain to me what does the end of the previous message of "lrpirlet" means please ?
I am not too sure what part of my message is unclear to you...
So I may bring some infos about the last paragraph...

Quote:
I verified that both the *ota* files are renamed and the no *ota* process exists...
Have a look at entry 13 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=13 Both otaupd and otav3 have been renamed, preventing them to become active (the processes associated with those files are NOT running anymore...

Quote:
I did get out of airplane mode, waited a few minutes, the folder named "update.bin.tmp.partial" was still a folder...
Since a long time, I have been using the directory trick to prevent the creation of a file with the same name. This file "update.bin.tmp.partial" is a temporary files while the "update.bin" is being downloaded... If it is still a directory, it means that no update (read: intrusive files from AMAZON) is being downloaded

Quote:
So I synchronized the kindle with my account in Amazon, and it did so, but it did not try to download any update.bin...
AMAZON does provide some very nice services such as a backup of all the books you did buy... Get a brand new kindle and connect it to your account, all your books may be downloaded again... all the collections created on the kindle will be reflected on your AMAZON account and reproduced , if needed , on your kindle...

Rambling on
AMAZON, poor thing, believe that they should behave as the owner of your device by forcing WHAT THEY THINK IS GOOD FOR YOU... They do not realise that the direct reaction is to buy another device. I bought a kobo (fantastic device B.T.W.)... Or to go on airplane mode, meaning that absolutely no new book will be downloaded from AMAZON...
Rambling off

I hope I did answer the question.
lrpirlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #49
BoberMod
BoberMod began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Thumbs up It works for me on 5.13.3

Bought Kindle PW4 with 5.12.4. Applied jailbreak, fix, MRPI. And then decided to update to 5.13.3.

After the update, I installed KUAL extension to rename binaries. Using USBNetwork, I verified that binraeis were renamed and almost all day I had WiFi enabled.
Updates are not installed!

Want to mention that I've also enabled update blocking in KUAL Helper (in order to lower the battery drain, idk is it can affect updates).
BoberMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:40 AM   #50
fanium
fanium began at the beginning.

Device: KV Kobo
I did the same thing. so far so good.
fanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #51
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
I got KOA3 with 5.12.4 and it worked for me too.
Thank you
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #52
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcm View Post
I added a step 5.5, so that if anything tries to call these binaries, it gets a successful exit code rather than an error :

# echo "/bin/true" > /usr/bin/otav3
# echo "/bin/true" > /usr/bin/otaupd
# chmod +x /usr/bin/otav3 /usr/bin/otaupd
Shouldn't that be:

# echo "#!/bin/sh" > /usr/bin/otav3
# echo "/bin/true" >> /usr/bin/otav3
# echo "#!/bin/sh" > /usr/bin/otaupd
# echo "/bin/true" >> /usr/bin/otaupd
# chmod 755 /usr/bin/otav3 /usr/bin/otaupd

(last line is minor, but chmod +x results in 775 permissions, which does not match the original permissions)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #53
Grzesiek
Grzesiek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
KV 5.13.2.
renameotabin.zip works fine. Zero updates
Grzesiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #54
dream_state
dream_state began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamzone View Post
Hello !

Actually, I'm running Firmware 5.12.4 on "G090VB, Kindle Basic 3 (2019) Kids Edition, KT4, KT4KE" and I want to use wifi (for registered my Amazon's account and for send email with pdf/epub to my Kindle).

At this moment, i never use wifi (only airplane mode).

So, someone could help me please ?

For information, actually i already did this :

1) Jailbreak (with "kindlejailbreak")
2) Use "Jailbreak Hotfix"
3) Install "kual-mrinstaller-1.7.N-r18392.tar"
4) Then install "Update_KUALBooklet_44a61b6_install.bin"

And after that, like you said, i did this :
1) Download "renameotabin.zip"
2) Copy with my PC the folder "renameota" in the folder "extensions" of my Kindle
3) Launch on the Kindle the app "Kual", then "Rename OTA binaries" and then "Rename" (ps: because i do not sure to understand why we have a button "Restore").
4) Like you, my Kindle reboot just after I touch "Rename"

and finally....nothing for me !

In fact, before i use Wifi for the first time, someone can explain to me what does the end of the previous message of "lrpirlet" means please ?

PS: Because i do not see *ota* files, neither a " folder named 'update.bin.tmp.partial'" in my Kindle (and I do not want to loose the jailbreak)

Thank you very very much in advance for your help !
My kindle is not automatically rebooting when i touch "rename"... does this mean it is not working for some reason?
dream_state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #55
dubeux
dubeux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 3 KT4 J9G29R
Hello,
I'm a newbie (linux and lineageOS user, not a dev), have read many topics here but I'm still not sure: I have a KT4 running a sadly updated 5.14.1 fw.
I don't need wifi - always sideload books with Calibre.
Is there some hope for jailbreaking it? Would this OTA blocking be a possible way?
Many thanks
dubeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #56
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubeux View Post
I have a KT4 running a sadly updated 5.14.1 fw. ...
Is there some hope for jailbreaking it? Would this OTA blocking be a possible way?
KT4 isn't software jailbreakable past 5.13.3 and isn't serial jailbreakable at all at the moment. This extension wouldn't help in your case; it's purpose is to prevent updates on devices that are already jailbroken.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #57
Morozko
Morozko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Is this method still working, to block OTA updates? It doesn't seem like it's been confirmed to work.

I've got a jailbroken Paperwhite 3, 12.4, that I've kept in airplane mode. I use Koreader a lot, and it would be nice to use the Wikipedia and Translation widgets, as well as link to Calibre.

If I use this, and I connect to the internet, is it likely the kindle will still update? What can I do if it does?
Morozko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #58
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozko View Post
Is this method still working, to block OTA updates?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozko View Post
If I use this, and I connect to the internet, is it likely the kindle will still update? What can I do if it does?
No, as long as a firmware update doesn't already exist on the device. You've got a PW3 so you always have the option of connecting to the internal serial port and performing a software jailbreak.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:34 AM   #59
dubeux
dubeux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 3 KT4 J9G29R
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
This extension wouldn't help in your case
Thanks for the info. All is left is deal with it and hope someone finds a way to break it (and learn never to connect it, not even to see some silly thing on wikipedia).
dubeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #60
ammadeusy
ammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blueammadeusy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: pw3 & pw4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzj_jie View Post
and I have to run emergency again to bring back my jailbreak.
sorry for the simple question, i searched in the forums but could not find anything about "emergency". my kindle pw3 was updated without me noticing to 5.13.1 (or something like that) and i lost the jb. maybe there is a way to bricking-risky bring it back? what do you mean by "run emergency"?

thank you
ammadeusy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
renameotabin, update blocker