Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-12-2021, 06:30 AM   #1
graatch
Enthusiast
graatch began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, iPad 2 (Bluefire Reader); fire hd 10, Windows
PDF readers with capability of commenting/editing pdfs on the SD card?

Hello, I wonder if there are any PDF applications that can make changes (highlights or comments, for example) to a file on the SD card, that is to say, without making an internal-drive copy and editing that instead. I believe it's possible but hard for the app coders to do and usually they don't bother.

However I hope someone has bothered because it's very annoying. (I don't know why this additional layer of security was necessary in the first place, or why an SD card needs to be protected when the internal isn't, way back when Android 5.0 was released.)

So far I've checked Moon Reader (can only make an internal copy), Foxit (can only make an internal copy), Adobe Reader (can only make an internal copy).

Anything you folks know of?
graatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Xodo works. It will ask if you want to make a copy but you can just ignore that and it will let you annotate directly on a file saved on the SD card. I confirmed this by opening the file in another PDF reader and the scribbles showed up. I did need to enable annotating with my stylus in settings though.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
graatch
Enthusiast
graatch began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, iPad 2 (Bluefire Reader); fire hd 10, Windows
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Xodo works. It will ask if you want to make a copy but you can just ignore that and it will let you annotate directly on a file saved on the SD card. I confirmed this by opening the file in another PDF reader and the scribbles showed up. I did need to enable annotating with my stylus in settings though.
Nice, thanks so much.
graatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've found Xodo best so far for my 10" Android tablet and better than anything Windows on a 10" Win 10 tablet.
But I've not used annotation.

There seems to be a paid pro version.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've found Xodo best so far for my 10" Android tablet and better than anything Windows on a 10" Win 10 tablet.
But I've not used annotation.

There seems to be a paid pro version.
Xodo has a Windows version too actually designed for tablets but also works on PCs that's in the Microsoft store. It's pretty great too and since it's a UWP app it plays nicer with LaTeX as you don't need to make sure it's closed when compiling unlike normal Windows PDF apps like Acrobat.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote