Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Kindle 1 - Charge via USB?

I know the Kindle 2 charges through the USB, and the kindle 1 has a separate charger. But since the software upgrade, I notice the charging light comes on when I connect the USB. I didn't notice this before. Could it be that the software upgrade enabled the kindle 1 to charge via USB?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I know the Kindle 2 charges through the USB, and the kindle 1 has a separate charger. But since the software upgrade, I notice the charging light comes on when I connect the USB. I didn't notice this before. Could it be that the software upgrade enabled the kindle 1 to charge via USB?
It could be.. but it wasn't listed on the change notes.

Run your battery down to nothing and test it out for us. Let us know what you find out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
My charging light has always come on when I connect my K1 to my desktop via USB, even before the update.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It will trickle charge if you're willing to wait days for it to complete. Track down the USB cable for the Palm Zire and you'll be able to charge your K1 via USB with it in about the same amount of time as the wall charger.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
babygator
babygator began at the beginning.

Device: none
thx didn't
babygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
I tried that, it still does the trickle charge. which is why I took some extreme measure -> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...796#post367796

[QUOTE =daffy4u]Track down the USB cable for the Palm Zire and you'll be able to charge your K1 via USB with it in about the same amount of time as the wall charger.[/QUOTE]
are you certain about that? that would a be a great solution!(but I doubt it would work) I tried all sort of USB to mini cables before, all of them just did the same thing as the stock cable - trickle charge.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
are you certain about that? that would a be a great solution!(but I doubt it would work) I tried all sort of USB to mini cables before, all of them just did the same thing as the stock cable - trickle charge.

I've been using it for several months. I first learned about it from TallMomof2 who's been using it even longer. No problems.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry. I just don't notice things if I don't focus. I think, just for grins, I will let my kindle go all the way down (turn on the wireless, which I use very rarely) and then I will see how long it takes to charge. I will post results. I will be the person on the train with the dead tree book! Debra
Old 02-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u
Track down the USB cable for the Palm Zire and you'll be able to charge your K1 via USB with it in about the same amount of time as the wall charger.
Quote:
I tried that, it still does the trickle charge. which is why I took some extreme measure -> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...796#post367796
The USB cable for the Palm Zire plugs into the USB port on your computer and has a connector that plugs into the power port in your Kindle 1. You're right that anything plugging into the USB port on the Kindle will only trickle charge, but this uses the standard power port on the Kindle. It means that you can charge from your computer rather from the electric outlet (mains).
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

OK, Sunday at 4:05 my kindle died. I am plugging it into the wall just long enough to get some charge so that when I plug it into the USB it starts charging. I will report back when it is fully charged. Debra
Old 03-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Well, here are my results. If the battery is dead, you can plug the charge in and a couple seconds later the USB, and then take the charger off. However, if your computer goes to sleep, it stops charging. In an hour and a half, it charged about a quarter.

I am ashamed to say I quit at that point. My daughter saw me doing this, and asked why. I told her it was an experiment. She looked at me like I was nuts (she is 11, this is not unusual). I didn't feel like having to stay on the computer for 6 hours and not be able to read (that would use e
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Here are my results:

If your battery is completely dead, plug in the charger and then plug in the USB. Once the computer recognizes the USB, you can disconnect the charger. However, if the computer goes to sleep, it stops, and you have to start all over again (for purposes of the experiment). In 1 1/2 hours, it charged about 25%. So, if you were going to be on your computer for 6 hours, you could charge it.

I'm ashamed to say I did not see the experiment all the way through. My daughter asked why I wasn't reading my kindle, and I told her about the experiment (had to control all variables, so I couldn't read while it was charging). Well, she looked at me like I was nuts (she is 11, that is not an unusual occurance). Since I want to read before I go to bed, I am terminating the experiment.

Conclusion: A fairly fast trickle (6 hours versus 2 hours for the wall charger) but the fact that it doesn't work if the computer goes to sleep is the real killer. I assume the kindle 2 does not quit charging when the computer goes to sleep.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

There is one little problem. If the battery is completely dead and you have to use the wall charger before the USB cable... why use the cable at all. Just use the charger.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
The USB cable for the Palm Zire plugs into the USB port on your computer and has a connector that plugs into the power port in your Kindle 1. You're right that anything plugging into the USB port on the Kindle will only trickle charge, but this uses the standard power port on the Kindle. It means that you can charge from your computer rather from the electric outlet (mains).
ah.... thanks for clarifying. I thought it was going to charge through the mini USB port on the kindle. That's not quite what i was looking for. I guess I'll stick with my own way for now.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
ah.... thanks for clarifying. I thought it was going to charge through the mini USB port on the kindle. That's not quite what i was looking for. I guess I'll stick with my own way for now.
The Palm Zire cable splits off into a "Y". One side of the "Y" connects to the USB port of the Kindle and the other to the power port. The bottom end connects to your computer, so it does draw the charge from the computer to the Kindle.

You have the option of just plugging the power side in so that you can read your Kindle 1 while it's charging.