Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
State of open-source (Linux) support for E-Ink panels

Hello, I have been trying to gather a consistent picture of which possibilties currently exist to use large(r) (i.e. 6 inch and upwards, hopefully up to 13.3, which I'd be interested in) panels with an open source stack (admitting binary blobs for foreign ICs). My results have been fairly inconclusive, though it appears as if support is only rudimentary - but may be I'm also just reading it wrongly...?

So if we buy one of these panels from E-Ink (I presume), we get precisely the panel and a spec of their (panel-specific?) proprietary interface. From there on, it's up to us to connect this to Linux userland? Are there any noteworthy components which would help with that in a fashion that the CPU remains open-sourced? For example controllers bringing this down to a well-known interface such as LVDS or kernel drivers taking this into a well-known software interface such as a framebuffer or a DRM device. Once we'd have a DRM endpoint, we'd be done and could use a display server such as X.org or Wayland. Has anyone had experience with this or knows something about that?

ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Given that both Kindle and Kobo run on Linux variants, I suspect that this should be quite doable. I've never looked into it myself though.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
It has been done with Rasbian, here is a link to the blog. Good luck!
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote