Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona 75 View Post
If I could avoid the ads, I'd sign up just for collections.
Just contact Kindle Customer Support and ask for the ads to be removed. They'll either remove them for free, or charge you the difference between the ad-free and ad-supported devices.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #17
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
I guess levity was lost in between you calling me mentally unsound and a sexual degenerate.
Jeez, was that really necessary. someone replied to you with their experience of using an unregistered Kindle, laced with a bit of humour, yet all you took from it was that?

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
tag in title, yes that should work. I'll try it. Kacir, that is a nice trick. If I could avoid the ads, I'd sign up just for collections. I'll see if this works with newest PW model, if so, then I'll do it. I only wish we could have book cover as screensaver without Jailbreaking the device.
If you'd like to add that feature, might as well jailbreak now while there's still an exploit available. That solves both collections and screensavers without needing to register. Latest attack vector already doesn't work with PW3 5.9.7+, and PW4 5.10.1.2+ and I doubt that's gonna change anytime soon. FWIW, there's been no report of bricking on the PW4 thus far.

Lol, I stocked up on PW4's as soon as the jailbreak was discovered just so I have jb backups.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #19
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Besides, after jailbreak you can make fake registration and get official access to the collections.
The script provided by knc1
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I wonder if Microsoft/Apple could track this . . .
Linux Mate + Mint Desktop + Traditional OK theme easy to install, free and Calibre works fine. Better than Win10. Now has a slight edge on XP & Win7 (esp XP as many newer programs won't install on XP).
MS is being investigated by EU regarding Office 365 and Windows 10 information gathering.
No telemetry / spying on Linux by default. It's not a tinfoil hat issue. Google, MS and Apple operating systems and applications are a real problem. So is the Kindle App. I've removed it from phone, tablet and Windows now.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
I guess levity was lost in between you calling me mentally unsound and a sexual degenerate.
While I will keep kindle in airplane mode, I'd like to keep it unregistered to avoid special offers commercials.
I apologise if you feel I insulted you in any way. That was not my intention. I thought my comments were too extreme to be taken as anything but a joke. Even the emoticon I used pointed to this.

BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #22
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FrustratedReader: Yes, I've read about the issues with Windows 10 spying, which is one reason I'm hanging on to Windows 7 for as long as possible. But my pc is constantly connected to the internet; my kindle never is.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:28 AM   #23
Rona 75
Rona 75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
No need to apologise BookCat. I didn't mean to come off as rude in my response.
There's been the issue of Amazon deleting books from devices without owner's knowledge as well as replacing "offensive" words from classic books and inserting terms more acceptable to sensitive PC souls.
I find the whole customer approach irritating and prefer to have full control of the device.
Rona 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:41 AM   #24
Rona 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you'd like to add that feature, might as well jailbreak now while there's still an exploit available. That solves both collections and screensavers without needing to register. Latest attack vector already doesn't work with PW3 5.9.7+, and PW4 5.10.1.2+ and I doubt that's gonna change anytime soon. FWIW, there's been no report of bricking on the PW4 thus far.

Lol, I stocked up on PW4's as soon as the jailbreak was discovered just so I have jb backups.
I'm nervous about jailbreaking process as I've never done it before. I've kept it at factory software and didn't allow it to update to keep my options open. I'll wait a bit to see if bricking is an issue.

Good call on stocking up, should've done it myself on black Friday, great deal on European amazon.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:01 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There's been the issue of Amazon deleting books from devices without owner's knowledge
Amazon have done this once, on unauthorised versions of George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm. In 2009.

They apologised at the time, and promised never to do it again. Perhaps it's time to drop it?

Quote:
as well as replacing "offensive" words from classic books and inserting terms more acceptable to sensitive PC souls.
This is nothing to do with Amazon. Blame publishers and authors.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:48 AM   #26
Rona 75

Oh they promised did they, no worries then.
I blame both publishers and Amazon, as they are the one controlling the software and access to devices, not publishers. The authors are thankfully dead and blissfully unaware of hack job performed on their works.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:00 AM   #27
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I blame both publishers and Amazon, as they are the one controlling the software and access to devices, not publishers. The authors are thankfully dead and blissfully unaware of hack job performed on their works.
Just turn the option off, then you don't have to blame anyone:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=201252670
Quote:
You can choose whether or not to receive updates automatically for your Kindle books. With this setting enabled, books on your devices will receive the latest version with corrections and improvements when it becomes available from the publisher or author.
Amazon have not replaced any words, the publisher of the book has. You have apparently left on the option to automatically get those updates. Amazon has followed that option and sent you an update.
It is like blaming your local cinema because Han doesn't shoot first in the Star Wars special edition. They didn't edit the film, they are just showing it to you.

Last edited by murraypaul; 12-12-2018 at 06:03 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
They haven't done anything similar for ten years. I think that's a pretty good indication they meant it.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #29
BookCat
C L J

All these concerns could be solved if you:

1. Paid for adverts to be removed from your device.

Then

2. kept your kindle in aeroplane mode. This means it is not attached to the internet via wifi, but it completely cut off; an integral device not in contact with Amazon or anyone else. The term comes from the mode used on devices when flying in a 'plane. They often insist you turn off all wifi (often all devices) at landing and take-off, so that the signal doesn't interfere with that used by air traffic control.

In aeroplane mode, Amazon doesn't know that you exist and can't contact you.

I have my kindle in permanent aeroplane mode because I don't have wifi. If I switch off this mode, the kindle can't find an unsecured signal. I load books using a usb cable. To register the kindle (which I did recently after four years of use) I had to visit a friend and use his wifi. I updated the kindle using a usb cable at home.

Registration gave me access to Collections; the update gave me the ability to use custom fonts (sideloaded).

My kindle is back in permanent aeroplane mode. Amazon need to use ESP to contact it! (Joke . . . just in case.)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:12 AM   #30
Rona 75

BookCat, once you have registered your device, the fact that you keep it in airplane mode is practically irrelevant. That is, it is only relevant if you plan to never, in the lifetime of device, allow it to connect to WiFi. While the Amazon can't contact you it most certainly knows you exist. You can have kindle offline for years, connect it once to WiFi, to surf wiki or use Bluetooth, and all the info that they collect from users constantly connected to their Amazon accounts will be collected at once from your device.
Which brings us back to unregistered device being the only sure way to keep one's privacy. And not having the full use of device one owns without jailbreaking and risking rendering it useless.