Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline

Notices

Old 03-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #16
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
That's great news. Looking forward to it.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #17
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Horror Kurzgeschichten

May I ask, why this one is offline ? Horror Kurzgeschichten

The livedates of the Autors seam not to be suspicious to me and i got the permission from the translator to post it. (who postted the german version as audiobook herself @ Legamus.

So, why? i dont get it...
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If I recall correctly (I don't have access to all my notes here), the problem was the English translation of Neruda, which appears to be by Šárka B. Hrbkova (1878-1948). As far as I understand, the German version was translated from the English, so the latter's copyright applies too.

But of course, it's possible that we made a mistake (too many books, too little information sometimes), or that I recall wrongly (if I find out the reason was different, I'll edit this mesage), or that the translation path is not the one I described. I'll be happy to fix if that's the case. Otherwise, just wait until 2019
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #19
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason the book is in the offline section is that one of the illustrators, Picard, died in 1946, so the book will enter the life+70 public domain on 1st Jan 2017.

I'd just wait: it's not all that far off.
Now the book is in life+70 PD is there anything I need to do to get it out of "offline" ?

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:26 AM   #20
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is anyone maintaining the offline library?

I mean,

Cutcliffe Hyne died 1944
Phillips Oppenheim died 1946
H. G. Wells died 1946
S. S. Van Dine died 1939
Constance Garnett (the translator of Dostoyevsky: The Possessed and Tolstoy: Anna Karenina, and probably more) died 1946

to name but a few. But their works hasn't been moved to the active forums of the library. There may of course be other reasons for this, but since translators and/or illustrators are rarely mentioned, it's difficult to say if that's the reason.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 10:09 PM   #21
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I don't know the answer to your question. But I have recently uploaded several ebooks by Anton Checkhov translated by Contance Garnett, and they've survived. She died in 1946, which is more than 70 years ago. I'll be horribly embarrassed if there are ebooks by Chekhov stored offline - that is, already done by someone else - when they are replaced.

Would it be possible to provide a list of ebooks which are stored off-line, and their authors? And how soon they might be restored when they pass the sacred 70 year limit?

Last edited by AlexBell; 02-08-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: fixed miss spelling
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #22
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hi Fbone,

Yes, we have a complete list of "1944" books. We're working hard on a major library "relaunch" and will incorporate them then. More news soon!
Any news on the 'major library relaunch'? The above post is getting on for two years old.

Is this forum monitored?
Old 02-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #23
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Now the book is in life+70 PD is there anything I need to do to get it out of "offline" ?
Wish fulfilled.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
Cutcliffe Hyne died 1944
Phillips Oppenheim died 1946
H. G. Wells died 1946
S. S. Van Dine died 1939
Constance Garnett (the translator of Dostoyevsky: The Possessed and Tolstoy: Anna Karenina, and probably more) died 1946
I've moved Hyne's works online. Oppenheim's, Wells's and Garnett's are too many, maybe later if I feel bored enough. For Van Dine's, we received a takedown notice from the US copyright holder and thought it safer to comply (at least for now).
Old 02-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #25
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Would it be possible to provide a list of ebooks which are stored off-line, and their authors? And how soon they might be restored when they pass the sacred 70 year limit?
I thought the offline forums are browseable and searchable by non-moderators, only downloads are disabled (hidden). Am I wrong?
Old 02-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #26
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Am I wrong?
No, you are not.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:49 PM   #27
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
I thought the offline forums are browseable and searchable by non-moderators, only downloads are disabled (hidden). Am I wrong?
Thanks
Old 02-25-2017, 04:29 AM   #28
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I've moved Hyne's works online. Oppenheim's, Wells's and Garnett's are too many, maybe later if I feel bored enough. For Van Dine's, we received a takedown notice from the US copyright holder and thought it safer to comply (at least for now).
OK, and thanks. Those were just examples (I could probably find others, but it doesn't seem possible to get a full listing of the offline works like it is in the online library, other than scraping the site).

If I had to choose, then some of Wells' short stories (please!), since not many are translated into danish, and my old paperbased volume in english contains only about half his production - "The Thing in No. 7", anyone?

Van Dine is strange, but in the US, you can prolong the copyright beyond death+70, right? - Over here, it's death+70, and no prolonging, ever, no matter if you being Disney or the king of Norway. But I've found 12 of his novels at canadian-based "faded pages", and that should keep me happy for a couple of months, since they're legal to me as a EU-citizen.

Which only serves to prove, that the people making copyright laws hasn't discovered this little thing called the internet …

Regards,

Kim

Last edited by elibrarian; 02-25-2017 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Typo
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:30 AM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
But I've found 12 of his novels at canadian-based "faded pages", and that should keep me happy for a couple of months, since they're legal to me as a EU-citizen.
A great resource, with us being life+50.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #30
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Wish fulfilled.
Many thanks.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote