Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
Installed it and tested it by adding a book and then clicking download metadata and nothing 20 minutes and it was still saying download, shut down 64-bit opened 32 and it downloaded immediately.

Not sure if its a bug or just a server issue when I tried it
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
Weekendmedic
Weekendmedic doesn't litterWeekendmedic doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, Android/Moon+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

So if you are running a 64 bit version of Windows, try out the new calibre 64bit build and let me know how it goes.
Kovid - thank you so much for Calibre - it is truly one of the best pieces of software I've ever used.

I'm running the 64bit version on my HP N40L Microserver (dedicated to this app), with 2GB of RAM (planning to go to 4 shortly), and have no issues so far. My book count is a hair under 56k, and the 64bit version definitely loads faster, seems a little quicker when cleaning duplicates.

Thanks!
Weekendmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@SASSBS: Most likely your firewall/anti virus software is blocking calibre 64 bit. As far as windows is concerned it is a completely different program and you may have to add permissions for it separately to calibre 32 bit.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 12-07-2012 at 12:36 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

country0129 and Weekendmedic: Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Working fine here on Windows 7 after a little bit of light use, including fetching my nightly news recipe and automatically sending it to my PRS T1, and running a couple of plugins.

Thanks,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #21
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
For me, Calibre is the most important and useful application I have ever had.

No problems here with the 64 bit one.

i7 CPU, 16 GB ram, 64bit Windows

Thank you!
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #22
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Thanks for the 64 bit version. I was hoping with it I would be able to convert a large dictionary from mobi to epub but no joy; with the 32 bit version I get an out of memory error at about 500 MB. With the 64 bit version it runs out of memory at 7.7 GB (I have 8 GM RAM), with 67% of the file processed. The source mobi is 19 MB, which I would not have thought was too big.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@ShellShock: Conversion of dictionaries has never been supported in calibre.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the clarification. This dictionary was bought from Amazon for the Kindle; I assumed that it was just a mobi file so it could be converted. Does this mean that dictionaries have a special format within the mobi format?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes, they do.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
ebookreadr
Enthusiast
ebookreadr began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks for the 64-bit version!
I installed it and it seems to be runnng fine, except I was unable to select the viewer as the default program for epubs etc. Windows 7 seemed to ignore, when I selected C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-viewer.exe, I copied the file to the desktop, renamed it to ebookvwr.exe, moved it back to the calibre2 folder and am now able to use it as the default viewer.
ebookreadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
Is there a way

(I'm greedy!) ......to devote more memory by some method in Windoze to work with the Calibre program? I'm still only utilizing about 4 Gigs of 16 Gigs available. The program, Calibre, is working perfectly, but I was dismayed that it still didn't take full advantage of available RAM. Don't get me wrong, it is working more efficiently with the 64-bit program than with the 32-bit program, rendering more efficiently than before, but my CPU fan sounds like an Airforce C-130 going down the strip for take-off when I'm converting books from whatever file type to *.mobi if I am doing it in bulk. I add 10-30 books a day to an already huge library; so it does make a difference to me. I have a bottleneck somewhere within the program (Calibre), my OS or system that isn't allowing the RAM to be fully utilized with Calibre.

2.90 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X4 635
512 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

15616 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 4096 MB (serial number 2A2C2227)
Slot 'DIMM2' has 4096 MB (serial number 09C62207)
Slot 'DIMM3' has 4096 MB (serial number 09D32206)
Slot 'DIMM4' has 4096 MB (serial number 0A18220B)

Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

I've been looking at adding a more high-end cooler to my CPU, and that will help, I'm sure, with the overheating problem, but I'd still like to be a little smarter concerning how to use available RAM. If one of you 'shure-'nuff' gurus out there have some good information that would help, I'd surely appreciate your advice. It will be properly perused, considered, and implemented with results supplied under this post.

I thank you in advance,

Dean
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #28
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is likely that most conversions will be CPU bound rather than RAM limited.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #29
ShellShock
Wizard

I can get Calibre to use almost 8GB RAM trying to convert one mobi file, so I don't think it limits the amount of memory it uses.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #30
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
RAM

Then it must be something concerning how I allocate memory. I don't know.
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote