Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Index of Useful Links for Book Creators

Please suggest (as comments) useful threads to be found in this forum and other links. I'll edit this first post to include them.

General Reference
MobileRead Wiki pages on Ebook Fundamentals
MobileRead Wiki pages on Ebook Production
HTML/CSS Tutorial & Reference

Tools
Calibre Editor
Sigil ePub Creator/Editor
Toxaris's eBook Tools MS Word add-in

Hints and Tips
General proof-reading tips.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-27-2018 at 02:43 AM. Reason: added Toxaris's eBook Tools
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Great Idea pdurrant!

Can I please be the first to ask for an exception to your premise that it has to be a forum thread??

I think it is absolutely essential that Book Creators have a basic understanding of HTML/CSS. If they want to "do it right" they will need to get under the hood (just a little bit) and not be afraid of html/css codes. Even if they don't do the work themselves it would be very helpful to the professionals if the customer can understand the limits of reflowable/fixed content. Could we please include the W3Schools website with their many tutorials and references?

HTML/CSS Tutorial & Reference

And, while not a 'thread' the e-Production section of our wiki is full of great ideas. I wasn't aware we had that link for a couple years...

E-Production

After that, I would point new creators to some (free) tools they can use to create their masterpieces:

Sigil

Calibre Editor
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I put a category in the wiki to guide beginners to find the pages in both reading and writing eBooks. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Cat...k_fundamentals

When appropriate the W3School is referenced on the pages as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the links so far - I've added them to the first post.

Suggestions for stickies that have outlived their usefulness, or that would be better as a link here are also welcome.

(And I know that a Wiki is often better for this kind of thing, but many people check the forums first, so having a good set of links in the forums should help.)
Old 02-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I'd forgotten just how badly the Finding Fonts section of the Wiki was outdated. I mean, Tattoo Woo? Seriously? Fine for the occasional fleuron, but hardly a font shop. Fat Cat? Utterly worthless.

Hmmmmmm...rats, all needs updating.

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:07 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tox's ePub Tools add-in Word thread

Whenever I want to recommend someone have a look at it I'm always having to find it. I guess I could bookmark it, but then it's not so easily copied with CoLT.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:19 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Tox's ePub Tools add-in Word thread

Whenever I want to recommend someone have a look at it I'm always having to find it. I guess I could bookmark it, but then it's not so easily copied with CoLT.

BR
DEFINITELY a 2nd for this.

Hitch
Old 02-27-2018, 05:49 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Added.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I'd forgotten just how badly the Finding Fonts section of the Wiki was outdated. I mean, Tattoo Woo? Seriously? Fine for the occasional fleuron, but hardly a font shop. Fat Cat? Utterly worthless.

Hmmmmmm...rats, all needs updating.

H
Anyone can edit the wiki. You can fix it! With more that 1500 pages it is hard to keep everything up to date without users stepping up.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Anyone can edit the wiki. You can fix it! With more that 1500 pages it is hard to keep everything up to date without users stepping up.

Dale
Hi:

Yes, I know. Hence, the "rats!" ;-)

Hitch
Old 03-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Another useful multi-purpose tool I should have mentioned is Stanislav Okhvat's Transtools ==>> Translator Tools – Productivity tools for editing and translation.

It overlaps a bit with Toxaris' addon for Word, but like Tox's add-in it has some unique features, its Unbreaker feature and Symbol tray tool alone might be worth its cost to some.

It's actively maintained and Stanislav's responses to issues and suggestions are prompt and professional.

I think Kim put me onto it.

PS: Sigil's PageView program, useful for Copy Editing/Proofreading.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-06-2021 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Remove PageView reference to interoperating with calibre
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Another useful multi-purpose tool I should have mentioned is Stanislav Okhvat's Transtools ==>> Translator Tools – Productivity tools for editing and translation.

It overlaps a bit with Toxaris' addon for Word, but like Tox's add-in it has some unique features, its Unbreaker feature and Symbol tray tool alone might be worth its cost to some.

It's actively maintained and Stanislav's responses to issues and suggestions are prompt and professional.

I think Kim put me onto it.

PS: Sigil's PageView program, useful for Copy Editing/Proofreading, also works with the caiibre book editor.

BR
Yes, I'm sure it was Kim, he put me onto it too and I do use it.

Hitch