Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Ekhtelion
Ekhtelion began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
PRS 505 - unusual freeze

Hello again,

My second thread here ane second hope to find any help... Luckily JeffElkins was able to help me first time. (THANKS again )

So...

I am using my PRS 505 since July 2008. I imported it from US and my guarantee is now expired.

I was using it during this year without any problems. It was runing on 1.0 firmware and with some minor customization. Few weeks ago it suddenly freezed during the startup but luckily yellow led was blinking (STARTING UP screen). After some recharging I was able to unbrick it. Firstly I thought that it was caused by flat battery (it happened to me few times before) and recharging will do the trick. But freezes came up again and again...

Few days ago i finally unbricked PRS and formatted internal memory, erased card, downloaded and upgraded to 1.1 firmware and used PRScustomizer. I thought that changing soft will fix all my problems but I was wrong... I fully charged my reader and started reading. After... maybe 15 pages it simply freezed. Switching the power button only makes that yellow LED lights on now (NO blinking).

I read many posts about soft/hard reset, unbricking reset (10 times), 2sec-10sec-3sec reset. When I connect to PC via USB nothing happens except charging. After hour red LED turns off and yellow lights on. After few hours it turns OFF and red lights on...

I even tried overnight charging via standalone charger with no result. Now I'm a bit confused and I don't know what to do...

Sorry for my english. I assume it might be quite awkard.
Ekhtelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Sounds as a battery problem to me....

Most likely your battery went bad and goed dry within a few minutes.

Did you use a PSP charcher to fully recharge the battery?
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I have had a problem when a pdf file would freeze the reader after a few pages. Every time I tried, it would freeze. I don't keep books on the card and I don't try more than one pdf file at a time on my Sony. Maybe you have a lot of pdf files or just a corrupted file?

I hope you can find a solution.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
Ekhtelion

@wild_Willie2: I thought that wab battery too on the beginning... But before my problems with reader I was able to read ~1000 pages without charging so I assume that battery was working quite good. And also I charged fully PRS overnight using standalone charger (not PSP but similar).

It looks like reader is in somekind of 'processing' mode. I read that yellow led points that processor is working. I had similar issue before but then yellow 'automagically' started to blink sooner o later and I was able to do the reset procedures.

@dreams

I stored all my files in internal memory of reader not on the card. And I mainly used .lrf (maybe I had 2-3 only).

When I'll be able to revive him I will pu t only one book to memory and check if any problems occure.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
wild_Willie2
Zealot

Most likely its the battery.

I would try the PSP loader trick if I where you.

Get a psp charger, reload the battery, and if it doesn't work, return the charger
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you loading files that you have converted (changed format)? Are you loading the files to your Reader with Calibre? Sony eLibrary?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Ekhtelion

@wild_Willie2: I disassembled my reader few minutes ago and checked battery with voltometer. It showed 4.09v so battery is OK (in service manual is 3.7v). But despite that I'm going to buy PSP charger tomorrow and try overnight charging.

@dreams: I was converting my books from .doc/.rtf to .lrf using BookDesigner software and copied it manualy to folder media on reader.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella

I know that, when I load books using Sony eLibrary, it prepagnates the pages and it will open and change pages faster.

If I just drop the book in, it takes longer the first time to load, change font, size, etc and sometimes will freeze.. especially if the book is very large.

Have you tried using the eLibrary to load your books?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
Ekhtelion

As I said before, today I bought PSP charger. After 2.5 hour of charging red led turned off and nothing happened. Still yelow one is glowing after turning on and I'm unable to connect reader to PC via USB...

My reader is now only quite expensive piece of electronic junk. RIP I dont know what I can do more...

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You have probably tried all the suggested hard resets but if not, you can find instructions from Sony here.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmark View Post
You have probably tried all the suggested hard resets but if not, you can find instructions from Sony here.
And just to make it easy, here is what is posted there..
Quote:
How to perform a hard reset on the Sony® Reader.
Solution

WARNING: A hard reset will erase all content on the Reader.

1. Ensure the Reader is powered off by checking that the indicator next to the power button [FIG. 1] is not illuminated.
2. On the back of the Reader, using a pin or paper clip, press the RESET button.
3. Turn on the Reader.
4. While the screen displays Starting up... , simultaneously press and hold down the Mark button and the VOL + button until the Reset All screen is displayed.

NOTE: If Starting up... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before attempting the reset process again.
5. Press the 5 button to reset the Reader.
It is very frustrating to have something happen to your Reader and not be able to get it fixed right away. I've read in other problem threads that, sometimes, going back and retrying steps again has solved the problem. You never know, it just might work.. Good Luck and don't give up.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
Ekhtelion

Sure I'll be trying. What else I can do :/. The thing that pisses me of mostly is that I was only reading book and this freeze came out... No fall, no moistured... Nothing. Just using as usual.

But there is still a hope. I found some 3rd party service workshop which specializes in Sony products. But I'm afraid that they can only replace mainboard in reader and it would cost me approx. 3/4 of new PRS.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:13 AM   #13
wild_Willie2
Zealot

Well, If you can get yourself a reader with a broken screen, you can easely replace the mainboard yourself.

Look at the reader for parts thread in this forum to see if he still has a reader with a damaged screen for you.

I payed 75 dollars for a reader with a defective screen that I used to fix my own reader witch had kicked the bucket after I dropped it....
Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
DTalon
DTalon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thank you all for the advice...i think i figured out what happened with mine.
DTalon is offline   Reply With Quote