Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Cathy W
Cathy W began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Bebook help

Hi,

I'm a new member to the board, lurking in the shadows up until now. I have wanted an e-reader for a while, since seeing the Kindle advertised on Amazon. However, I am in the UK and so the Kindle has not been an option. I then saw the Sony but as a Mac user, this was a 'no go' too.

I am rather taken by the Bebook (or Hanlin) as it works on a Mac and as I am only interested in reading novels (rather than work documents etc.), this seems the best option. I also like the fact that the battery is the same as a Nokia's and therefore can be purchased elsewhere from the supplier. The problem that I have is that the Bebook does not support Mobipocket yet.

What is your experience of the Bebook/Hanlin and is the Mobipocket availability going to be a reality anytime soon??
Cathy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome! It's always a little embarrassing to meet a lurker.... I mean, have you seen some of the silly stuff that goes on around here? I forget that there are people out there reading these "unutterably silly" posts, as well as the tech things.

So, UK, huh? There's a few other UKites here also. What sort of things do you like to read?

Enjoy your new BeBook!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Cathy W

Thanks for your welcome. I'm glad that there are a few Brits engaging on this forum - I think I've spotted a few! I've got a fairly eclectic taste in novels - anything really from Neil Gaiman to Kate Atkinson so really, fairly contemporary books, hence the need to be able to buy books from the net rather than rely on the out of copyright materials. I'm not really interested in the MP3 capacity - I've got an ipod for all of that. I just want a good e-reader for novels!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm in the midst of trying out different formats for larger fonts. Seem to have settle down to Adobe pdf's. It's inconvenient to have to read on a monitor, but better than nothing at all. I can zoom the text lines as big as the screen will allow, about 20 pts, and I'm doing OK with it. Not as happy with it as I've been with the EB-1150. But a girl has to do what she has to do, right?

I can't put my hands on it right now, but I think there's a link somewhere to a free Gaiman book download on one of these older threads. There's always news of freebies being posted here. For a while back in the springsummer, it got a little overwhelming. I spent more time downloading than reading.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Cathy W

Do you use a mac? Is it easy to convert different formats? I'm OK with a computer but I don't want to have to spend a lot of time messing around just to get a decent book onto the reader!
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!

Nope, I'm using a PC. Don't worry, I'm sure it will be simple to load up your reader. People are doing it everywhere, so it can't be that complicated.

The real experts will be along in a while with some actual information. I'm just bad with tech, always sort of surprised whenever something works out for me. I still prefer to write things by hand and then type up the "final" copy.

I think that if my eyes get fixed, then I want my next reader to have the flexible screen. What's it called, Readius, or something like that. It's still in development somewhere out there, but looks very lightweight and less breakable. Anything that decreases breakability is aces with me.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This is a tricky one. Bebook have been promising mobipocket support for a while. It was half-expected by July, but hasn't arrived yet.
Their homepage is now announcing that their next version will also have wifi. But mobipocket isn't mentioned.
http://mybebook.com/

You could contact them and ask. (Do tell us what their reply is.)
If mobipocket is what you want, then you might also consider a Bookeen Cybook Gen 3.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy W View Post
I then saw the Sony but as a Mac user, this was a 'no go' too.

I am rather taken by the Bebook (or Hanlin) as it works on a Mac and as I am only interested in reading novels (rather than work documents etc.), this seems the best option.
Do you already have the BeBook? Or considering it?

Not that I have anything against the BeBook. However, with the Sony as a Mac users you aren't any worse off than you will be with the BeBook.

Here's why:

1. The BeBook doesn't support any DRM formats that you can readily get books in.

2. In the UK you can't use the Sony store anyway... unless you have someone in the US or Canada buy you vouchers. Yes, this is supposed to change very soon.

So with either the BeBook or the Sony you will need to buy non-Drm books or you will have to remove DRM from books you buy. LIT is easily convertable to Sony's format while the BeBook will read the non-DRM lit natively.

That said, Sony's new DE support allows you to buy PDF and ePub books protected with Adobe ID.

Only issue I am not sure of is if DE for Mac will work with Sony. I have read people not being able to see the Sony reader in DE until they install the most recent eBook Library, which you can't do on Mac. Anyone use DE on Mac with the Sony reader? I just might have to get a Sony 505 to try this stuff.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
2. In the UK you can't use the Sony store anyway... unless you have someone in the US or Canada buy you vouchers. Yes, this is supposed to change very soon.
Next week, in fact. The Sony Reader gets its UK launch on 4th September and books will be available too, via Waterstone's website.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #10
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
I have a BeBook and I haven't regretted the purchase for a second. The support-team is very responsive, and it's a great device. Especially the fact that it supports folders (multi-dir) and many formats (ePub, PDF, doc, PPT, LIT, .......)

Mobipocket should be available really soon, although I (obviously) don't know when... but it won't be long

I use a Mac myself, and it works fine with the BeBook.
If you should have any questions about this device, don't hesitate to ask them!

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 04-27-2010 at 02:42 PM.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:08 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'd be better off with a Sony or a CyBook if reading commercial novels is your main interest. Both are easily available in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
Skyblue
Skyblue doesn't litterSkyblue doesn't litter

Device: Iliad
Bebook to release mobipocket support soon

I emailed bebook earlier asking when they would have mobipocket support and their response is below.....

"The update is rounded up, but we're out of the office next week because of a trade fair. We will release the update when we get back."

So at a guess that would be what maybe 2 weeks? I'm not sure how long the trade fair that they are talking about is though....(im guessing a week...) either way its looking good.
Skyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
Cathy W

I like the look of the Sony but it doesn't work on macs, from what I understand, and I'm a little nervous about being stuck with only one bookshop (albeit a good one in Waterstones). As for the Cybook, I've heard that there are problems with the button and it is sometimes stiff to press - although I am happy to be corrected. I haven't bought a BeBook and so I am indecisive between the Bebook and the Cybook - albeit, I wouldn't buy a Bebook until it has mobi. It is all so confusing!!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #14
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblue View Post
So at a guess that would be what maybe 2 weeks? I'm not sure how long the trade fair that they are talking about is though....(im guessing a week...) either way its looking good.
They're at the IFA convention in Berlin and will be back around September 12th, so 2 weeks is a good estimate.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy W View Post
I like the look of the Sony but it doesn't work on macs, from what I understand, and I'm a little nervous about being stuck with only one bookshop (albeit a good one in Waterstones).
You may not be able to buy books from Sony store on a Mac, but you certainly can upload your own and DRM-free content. Also, if you authorize your Reader once on a PC with Digital Editions, you can then buy Digital Editions books from multiple shops using Mac.
So it's definitely not "one bookshop".
See also Sony Reader book sources beyond CONNECT.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote