Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-19-2016, 11:21 PM   #1
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What does 'Well-Formed Check EPUB' actually check?

I'm assuming that it runs the EpubCheck:

https://github.com/idpf/epubcheck

Is that right?

Does that also validate each XHTML file or will I need to unzip the EPUB and submit each XHTML page to W3C for validation also?
bookman156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:04 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, that is not right. It does not run ePUBCheck. It checks if all the files are well-formed, it does not do any content checking.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2016, 03:36 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman156 View Post
I'm assuming that it runs the EpubCheck
If you want to check your books with ePubCheck, you'll need install my simple ePubCheck wrapper plugin.
(You can also download the standalone pagina version, which uses the same ePubCheck version.)

You also might want to install the FlightCrew plugin, if you haven't already done so, because it'll catch some issues that ePubCheck ignores.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You also might want to install the FlightCrew plugin, if you haven't already done so, because it'll catch some issues that ePubCheck ignores.
I've seen the opposite behavior (Flight Crew ignores empty hyperlinks, which are flagged by Epubcheck) but never noticed this. What sort of things does Flight Crew catch that Epubcheck does not?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
What sort of things does Flight Crew catch that Epubcheck does not?
Among other things it'll report unused image files etc.
Advert
Old 03-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
No, that is not right. It does not run ePUBCheck. It checks if all the files are well-formed, it does not do any content checking.
But what does it mean that the files are 'well-formed'?

I know exactly what the W3C XHTML and CSS validators are checking, but I am less certain what Sigil and EpubCheck are checking.

I'll look into those plugins mentioned.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But what does it mean that the files are 'well-formed'?
It's a technical term. It basically means that each tag must have an ending tag and all tags must be properly nested.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #8
bookman156
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It's a technical term. It basically means that each tag must have an ending tag and all tags must be properly nested.
Ah, okay. Got it.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #9
bookman156
Addict

So an XHTML document that is not 'well-formed' can still validate?

For instance, in my original EPUB which I received from the publisher there is anchor code like this:

<a id="page_121"/>

which validates at W3C but which I've just noticed Sigil has automatically changed to:

<a id="page_121"></a>

I didn't realise that Sigil makes changes to the EPUB that I haven't specifically made, but I guess this is because it is making it 'well-formed'? Interesting.

Yet the XML validator (http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_validator.asp) says that the first type of anchor is correct too. So not sure why Sigil is changing this...

Last edited by bookman156; 03-20-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So an XHTML document that is not 'well-formed' can still validate?
That depends on the validator, or precisely on the doctype and dtd that it's validated against.

Quote:
For instance, in my original EPUB which I received from the publisher there is unclosed anchor code like this:

<a id="page_121">
Actually, that tag shouldn't have passed validation, because the closing tag is missing or it must be self-closing:

Code:
<a id="page_121" />
Quote:
which validates at W3C ...
W3C validation doesn't mean anything. If you want to release commercial books they'll need to pass ePubCheck.

Quote:
I didn't realise that Sigil makes changes to the EPUB that I haven't specifically made, but I guess this is because it is making it 'well-formed'? Interesting.
Sigil will usually convert self-closing tags to tags with a closing tag. AFAIK, this is automatically done by the Gumbo parser and has nothing to do with well-formedness.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #11
bookman156
Addict

I corrected my post, managed to leave out the self-closing tag. Sorry about that.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #12
bookman156
Addict

Seems even the space in a self-closing tag is optional.

I always thought it was <br /> but it seems <br/> is okay too.

What a minefield...
Old 03-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
What a minefield...
Not really. Just learn to trust the Gumbo parser and all will be well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #14
bookman156
Addict

Good advice, I think. It hasn't changed <br/> to <br /> so I'll trust it. And both 'validate'.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Note that you can minimize the changes that Sigil's internal parser will make to your code by unchecking both "Mend XHTML Source Code on:" options in the general preferences (but I don't really recommend it). However, Sigil is probably never going to be completely "hands-off" when when it comes to making certain changes--especially if you use any of the automated processing tools.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote