Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #1096
Pinchfire
Pinchfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm happy to report that my mission (so far at least) was a success. I burnt the .bin file using PowerISO to an empty DVD and let my PC boot from it. Best option is to connect your Kindle to the PC before that and try to bring it to USB Drive mode, so you don't have problems with the process after that (as I did). In the beginning the Kubrick recognized the Kindle even though the screen wasn't in USB mode (use the combo slider for 30 sec + vol- / it really works!) and the first 1-2 steps I just hit "Next" without any thought. The problem is though when "flashing the main module" started my device still wasn't in USB mode, so the process was "running", but nothing was happening - everything stayed on 0%. After waiting for an hour I decided it's not normal so I quit the installer (Ctrl+Alt+Del does that) and did everything again. This time though I managed to bring my Kindle into USB drive mode and the process finished successfully after 3 hours. (USB maybe takes less time, no idea) At the moment my Kindle is functioning properly. I don't know whether I shall upgrade the firmware to 3.4.2 as it's the latest. But even if I don't I'm perfectly OK with the situation as it is. Thanks for the great article, forum and quality community! Appreciate all the people whose work went into this project! Cheers to you, fellas!

Last edited by Pinchfire; 07-26-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Pinchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:33 AM   #1097
Magnifin
Magnifin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g B006
Good afternoon.
For many years I have Kindle3, and I decided to update the firmware according to the instructions.
Https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk
Charged, connected, I did everything according to the instructions. After 3 hours of burning, he did not react. Charge up to 100 percent. I started to hold the power button. He caught fire in green, but nothing happened. I again tried switching to USB mode. So it did not start. After that he charged again, connected to the PC and launched Kubrick. The core was burned quickly, after which he began to burn the main section. After 15 minutes, he reached 9% and gave Flushing Done.
As before, the device does not work. I do not know what to do.
Help me please. Can someone have a dump, please send to magnifin[at]g mail . com

Last edited by Magnifin; 08-21-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Magnifin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #1098
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnifin View Post
- - - -
Help me please. Can someone have a dump, please send to magnifin[at]g mail . com
You already have "a dump".
If by that you mean a complete system image.
Look on the Kubrick CD/DVD.

You need a serial port connection to tell what is happening inside.
On a K3 that is easy, it is on the lower of the two cover connectors.
It is also documented and indexed by our Master Index.
Find somebody that understands English well enough to guide you to it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #1099
Magnifin

knc1
Thank you. Now I'm programming through ATK, if it does not work, I'll try again Kubrick. Maybe I have an old battery and it lacks a charge. I'll check at what stage it will break off burned through Kubrick.
With English everything is bad. Russian - great
Old 08-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #1100
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnifin View Post
knc1
Thank you. Now I'm programming through ATK, if it does not work, I'll try again Kubrick. Maybe I have an old battery and it lacks a charge. I'll check at what stage it will break off burned through Kubrick.
With English everything is bad. Russian - great
It will not work.
"Kubrick" is a script that uses all of the same command line tools that a person could use.

http://4pda.ru/
Good place, your language.
Some of their members are also active members here.
Advert
Old 08-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #1101
Magnifin

Thank you. I connected the book with 2 amps of charging. It turned out there was not enough battery. Just was not aware of the principle condition.
Everything worked out. Everything is working. Thank you
Old 09-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #1102
tibob33
tibob33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi,
I try to unbrick my kindle touch.
With Kubrick, I managed to do all steps, excepts the "jailbreak" break (that part always fails).

Now I only have a black screen on boot.

Any advise ?

Thanks in advance
tibob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #1103
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibob33 View Post
Hi,
I try to unbrick my kindle touch.
With Kubrick, I managed to do all steps, excepts the "jailbreak" break (that part always fails).

Now I only have a black screen on boot.

Any advise ?

Thanks in advance
Would you give more details on the original problem you are trying to fix?
That is, what was wrong with the Kindle to begin with.

Would you give more details of how you are trying to use this?
Brand of PC you are using.
What options you selected.
The result at each step of the process.

We can not provide help with only the information:
"I did all and it did not work."
Old 09-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #1104
tibob33

Hi knc1,
Sorry for my english, i'll try to be clear.

The original problem was : it freezed since august.
The more we used it, fastest it freezed.
At the last usage, i reboot it, read a bit and it freezed.
So, i wanted a "very hard reset".

Brand of PC, HP

"I didn't do all."
I only tried Kubrik and followed the steps of the screen.
About options, there'snt a lot to say : in the beginning, i choose "kindle touch" and then uncheck "install device jailbreak", check the 3 others ("wipe internal storage", "reformat external storage", "reinstall TTS files").
Every steps are green. I see the selection between "shutdown kubrik" and "redo with other kindle".
(Before I had some steps in red, the battery was low)

If I check "install device jailbreak", the next step announces "failed" immediatly.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #1105
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hi knc1,
Sorry for my english, i'll try to be clear.

The original problem was : it freezed since august.
The more we used it, fastest it freezed.
At the last usage, i reboot it, read a bit and it freezed.
So, i wanted a "very hard reset".

Brand of PC, HP

"I didn't do all."
I only tried Kubrik and followed the steps of the screen.
About options, there'snt a lot to say : in the beginning, i choose "kindle touch" and then uncheck "install device jailbreak", check the 3 others ("wipe internal storage", "reformat external storage", "reinstall TTS files").
Every steps are green. I see the selection between "shutdown kubrik" and "redo with other kindle".
(Before I had some steps in red, the battery was low)

If I check "install device jailbreak", the next step announces "failed" immediatly.
That all sounds like a very low battery.

Since the internal battery charger is partly controlled by the firmware, and the firmware isn't working correct -
You can't trust the charge light.

Put it on a known good wall charger with a known good USB cord.
Leave on for at least 24 hours because the charge rate in this condition is very slow.

Then try again, use Kubrick to only replace the main image.
Do not select the other options.
That will keep the battery drain to a minimum.

- - - -

You may need a new battery.
But try the above first and let us know what happens.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #1106
tibob33

I charged the kindle with a recent samsung charger with its cable.
But it still boots immediatly on a black screen, even if kubrick says it should be unbricked.
The only option I selected is to replace the main image.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #1107
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I charged the kindle with a recent samsung charger with its cable.
But it still boots immediatly on a black screen, even if kubrick says it should be unbricked.
The only option I selected is to replace the main image.
So now that it is fully charged, use Kubrick to un-brick it.
Follow the on-screen directions carefully.
Use ONLY the option to replace the main system image (plus the jail break if you wish it).
Do not run Kubrick in a virtual machine, run it on the PC hardware.
Do not use a USB-3 port with the Kindle, use only a USB-2 port.

It should work just as the directions describe, you can see by the thread visit counts that you are not the first one to use Kubrick.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #1108
greenalien
greenalien began at the beginning.

Recharging battery outside the Kindle

Having had exactly the same problems with my Kindle 3 as Kindleheadache documented in post #966, I thought I'd investigate the battery.

After opening the case and removing the battery, I measured its voltage as 0.2V - definitely discharged!

I thought I would try to recharge it via my bench power supply.

I am well aware of the dangers of overcharging lithium batteries, having seen an old camcorder battery explode under charge, scattering blazing debris over a wide area, so I proceeded with caution.

Most importantly, my bench supply has variable current as well as variable voltage, so I turned the current to a minimum before switching the power on and setting the voltage to 5V.

I had previously connected the battery pack via a pair of small crocodile clips, taking care to avoid the SDA and SCL data pads.

As soon as the power was applied, the power supply showed 250mA of charge current, and I carefully brought this up to 0.5A. It would easily have gone higher, but that would have been too risky.
After 30 minutes, the battery wasn't heating up. I measured the voltage, and it was up to 3.7V so the charging was working.
Charging continues as I write this, I'll give it a total of 3 carefully monitored hours and then try it back in my Kindle, I'll post the results later!
greenalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #1109
knc1
Going Viral

Maximum terminal voltage at full charge is 4.2 volts NOT 5.0 volts!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #1110
greenalien
greenalien began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Maximum terminal voltage at full charge is 4.2 volts NOT 5.0 volts!
Battery terminal voltage isn't the same as charge voltage, which always needs to be a bit higher than final voltage. Kindle chargers output 5V.
greenalien is offline   Reply With Quote