Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I'm too Greedy.

I hear about a free book that seems interesting, and I download it. I download it even though I know I won't get around to it till I'm a very old man.

I wonder if I'm being fair to the author.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I hear about a free book that seems interesting, and I download it. I download it even though I know I won't get around to it till I'm a very old man.

That's "file collecting."
What a wonderful First World Problem. An overabundance of books!

Fair to the author? Yeah, sure, why not? Unless you are given a review copy or something and you never get around to reviewing it.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:

As fair as any other advertising driven freebie. I go by free samples stations at grocery stores. Just because I sample the product doesn't mean I have to buy it. And the company (person) providing it knows up-front that that is the case....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That's "file collecting."
What a wonderful First World Problem. An overabundance of books!

Fair to the author? Yeah, sure, why not? Unless you are given a review copy or something and you never get around to reviewing it.
I'm also overweight, another first world problem! I wonder if they are related in some way?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

This probably isn't keeping you up at night, but I don't think there's a problem when the author offers the book for free and you take it.

It seems slightly different to me if, for instance, you're taking a LibraryThing giveaway that's offered with the suggestion that you post a review after you've read the book. The author is trying to make a deal with you: I'll send you a coupon for a free book, you'll make an effort to read it and comment. The author is actually expending some effort in this case to get you a book, which is different than posting a book that's free to all takers with no further effort on the author's part.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Only if the author is a very young man [woman], and if he [she] survives the infirmities of old age and disease. Then you can write your review - if you remember having read it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
There's no ethical problem here since you are not depriving anyone the ability to read the book. If it were a paper book and you were just hoarding it, then that would be different.

Adding to the download count may even encourage the author and/or give him / her greater visibility.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'd say you're being fair. If nothing else, you're boosting the download count.

EDIT: Barty beat me to the "download count" mention. Great minds think alike!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I'm also overweight, another first world problem! I wonder if they are related in some way?
Yes, possibly they are.

You *do* know that "devouring books" is a figure of speech, not meant to be taken literally?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I'm greedy too, but I can't at all see how it could be 'unfair' to the writer to accept a free book.

As some have said, it at least adds to the writer's download count.

And I wouldn't take it if it didn't interest me and I didn't at least intend to read it.

Last edited by pendragginp; 02-11-2013 at 09:10 PM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Having just retired, I wonder how many books I've read that I simply don't remember reading.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yes, possibly they are.

You *do* know that "devouring books" is a figure of speech, not meant to be taken literally?
B U U R R P ! What'd you say? I missed that, I was chewing.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"That's "file collecting."
What a wonderful First World Problem"
Also Known as "Digital Hoarding"
I know people in the 3D market
who have terabytes of "Digital Content"
3D models of every conceivable item
along with every Free 3D program etc. on the planet.

And each year as Digital storage becomes cheaper they upgrade to bigger external hard drives and continue their compulsive downloading.
The problem with this
is that unlike traditional
physical hoarding, there is no obvious evidence
piled to the ceiling of your home that would be apparent to to outsiders/family members so it goes unabated.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
And that makes it a problem because - ?

Truly not getting the big deal here.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"And that makes it a problem because - ?

Truly not getting the big deal here"

Well IMHO it, Digital Hoarding as with any addictive behaviour, an become the cause of unneeded anxiety
as the mere act of collecting/downloading
the content begins to overtake the pleasure of actually consuming it.
and incidents such as crashed hard drives/datalosses take an unusual emotion toll on people who have become addicted to having their hoard.
I personally know people who have risked loss of employment by violation of company policies against personal web surfing on company time
because they cant wait to get home to download yet another new "3D Item".

no its not on the level of alcoholism etc, but it can cause
problems in relationships.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote