Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
rutgurt
Enthusiast
rutgurt began at the beginning.

Device: none
No App store outside USA, really?!?

I don't listen to music, and I can live without video rentals (since i'll just sideload vids for free), but no Apps outside USA?!?! Can anyone who has tried the Fire outside USA confirm if this is true? I know sometimes they say certain content is not available outside the U.S., but if the account uses a U.S. issued credit card and billing address its no problem (for example with Kindle eBooks). I am hoping the Apps work the same way, and they aren't actually stupid enough to implement IP address tracking.

Otherwise, Amazon just lost a customer to their App store as well as one more rooted device.

Also, will I be able to listen to audio files from my Cloud outside the country, which I uploaded manually (not music purchased from Amazon and linked to my Cloud)? I have many lectures I like to listen to and would like to manually load onto my Cloud account. I heard that music on the cloud doesn't work outside the country, but I wasn't sure if this was music purchased directly from Amazon, or audio files manually uploaded into the Cloud account. Can someone clarify?

Last edited by rutgurt; 11-24-2011 at 08:11 AM.
rutgurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm not sure why you're surprised that a device that's not intended (yet) to be sold outside the US, doesn't allow app support outside of the US (yet).

Having said that...my experience is that if your one-click billing address is US-based, it doesn't matter where you are in the world. I know this because my GF is canadian. Making HER card the 1-click makes it so I can't buy apps...even INSIDE the US. Making MINE the default, allows me to buy apps...even in Canada.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
Indoors
Indoors began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 / Fire
I Have the Kindle Fire up and running in New Zealand and can confirm that the Amazon app store does not work. At all.

I side loaded ES File explorer and then used an analogue of Android market to load on the essential Angry Birds.

Be nice once a root comes in for ICS on this thing or Amazon opens this beast up!

Chur,

- Indo
Indoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The app store is entirely dependent on having a USA issued credit card attached to your account.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
rutgurt
Enthusiast

gweminece, but what about Americans who are traveling abroad, such as myself?

Having an American credit card works for ordering eBooks and magazines abroad, but it does not suffice for renting movies abroad.

I am getting mixed answers. So with an American credit card, can I or can I not use the App store?

Also, can I access my audio files that I manually uploaded onto my Cloud account which are not copyrighted (not music purchased from Amazon and linked to my Cloud account)?
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I can confirm that I had the same issue with my Kindle Fire in Germany.

Since I got a prepaid debit card from usunlocked.com (thanks to Friktion for the tip - it finally came through yesterday), I am able to load apps from the Amazon market place.

I can theoretically also view videos on it. Theoretically as in I can open the video store, select a video, it says "Free for prime members", but when I click on "watch" I get an error message saying that the video can not be loaded right now and I should try later. That happened with all videos I tried out, at any time yesterday. I could see trailers, however.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Let's be clear: to buy Apps or Books, you need a US Address & Credit Card. It doesn't matter where in the world you are physically located, you can buy eBooks or Apps just fine. However, that does NOT WORK for videos. For videos you need to be connected via a US IP address. I can confirm that VPN solutions work. (For the Fire, there are currently no VPN solutions in the App Store, so you need to either set up a DD-WRT router, or side-load one of the unsupported VPN solutions from the Android Marketplace.)

I was able to watch a free Amazon Prime video with acceptable speed over a VPN connection using the service at http://www.hidemyass.com. With the VPN disabled, I had been blocked by Amazon because my local IP address was recognized as in Canada.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgurt View Post
gweminece, but what about Americans who are traveling abroad, such as myself?
FOR THE APP STORE ONLY, (not movies or streaming tv), the following is true:

It does not matter WHERE you are in the world, physically, IF YOUR ONE-CLICK ADDRESS is US-based address and card.

This is NOT true of streaming.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
FOR THE APP STORE ONLY, (not movies or streaming tv), the following is true:

It does not matter WHERE you are in the world, physically, IF YOUR ONE-CLICK ADDRESS is US-based address and card.

This is NOT true of streaming.
Well, there are ways of sorting that out too. But in general, yes this is absolutely correct.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
rutgurt
Enthusiast

Im working in Saudi Arabia at the moment. Think it will be hard to find a DD-WRT router?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Azdian
Azdian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Im working in Saudi Arabia at the moment. Think it will be hard to find a DD-WRT router?
I'm living is Saudi Arabia too, Kindle fire here is totally useless !

think there is no way but rooting and installing android market
Azdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azdian View Post
I'm living is Saudi Arabia too, Kindle fire here is totally useless !

think there is no way but rooting and installing android market

There are plenty of alternative Android App Markets besides Amazon and the Google Market. Please check this out:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158213

All of these Apps Stores / Markets work with the Kindle Fire. Most of them should work from anywhere in the world.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-26-2011 at 12:04 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
It should be clarified that the alternative app stores do not have all of the apps available in Android Market. I gave up quickly using the alternatives when I could not find the apps I was looking for. If you want full access to all available apps, then Azdian is correct. I think you must root and install Android Market.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
It should be clarified that the alternative app stores do not have all of the apps available in Android Market. I gave up quickly using the alternatives when I could not find the apps I was looking for. If you want full access to all available apps, then Azdian is correct. I think you must root and install Android Market.

The Amazon App Store doesn't carry all the Apps the Android Market has either. Far from it. However, some market is better than no market.

Between the alternative App Stores and some of the free Android App websites you can find a lot of excellent and newer Apps. AndroidPIT, 1Mobile, and SlideME are among the best alternative Markets.

For example, did you know the Android Community website syncs their App data directly from the Android Market? All FREE Apps available on the Android Market can be downloaded from their site.

(http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/)

(http://androiddev.orkitra.com/?page_id=254)

You can also Google Alternative Android Markets and find a lot of legitimate App sites out there that you may not even know existed. For example, Insyde Market, freeapk.com, Aproov etc.

While rooting is certainly one way to go, I wouldn't recommend it for the casual everyday user unless they are prepared to have a possible $200 brick on their hands that Amazon won't take back.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-26-2011 at 01:49 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #15
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
No, it shouldn't be. Check the DD-WRT site for a list of routers that can be converted.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote